Latest Braking News

Old March 5th 21, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Latest Braking News

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 12:16:17 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/5/2021 12:09 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2021 9:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 15:57:02 -0600, AMuzi
wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

That's from SRAM. Here's Shimano's version:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Shimanos-Patented-Smart-Anti-Dive-Suspension-Control-Sensor,3018

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a
no-brake fixie.

Frank, add a front caliper. Really.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FACEPLNT.JPG

I was riding on a side street over by Facebook in Menlo Park and there were a couple of kids riding fixies. They were in their middle teens and were doing wheel stands and side slides directly in front of me. I don't think that they understood that it is easy to take someone else down with you.
Old March 5th 21, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

That's from SRAM.Â* Here's Shimano's version:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Shimanos-Patented-Smart-Anti-Dive-Suspension-Control-Sensor,3018

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a
no-brake fixie.

Frank, add a front caliper. Really.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FACEPLNT.JPG

In real life I would. But thanks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 21, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

That's from SRAM. Here's Shimano's version:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Shimanos-Patented-Smart-Anti-Dive-Suspension-Control-Sensor,3018

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a
no-brake fixie.

Frank, add a front caliper. Really.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FACEPLNT.JPG

+1

Sheldon convinced me of that years (decades?) ago. Looking over
his old website again (I really miss him), I came across his
dismount technique. If I'd noticed that before, I must have
forgotten it. I may just have to give that a try.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old March 5th 21, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 4:28:17 PM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

Do folks who would spend such money worry about endos? Bit cynical about
the market for such stuff.

Non cyclists worry about endos or at least claim they do, but cyclists
generally not in my experience, be they club cyclists or rolling though the
park to work commuters, and so on.

Roger, not only have I done complete endos with disk brakes, but I almost
did an endo just a couple of months ago when I was riding a bike with
aluminum wheels on it after months and months or riding **** poor braking
carbon rims. Luckily, I realized it just before the rim brake completely
locked. On really bumpy road when descending at speed you have to stand
up which makes doing an endo rather easy if you're not used to the the
brakes you're riding. I even did an endo on a gravel trail with my first
set of disk brakes. I've done this often enough that I'm getting really
good at landing with minimal injury.

If your out of the saddle should be less likely, though I have a MTB
background so tend to adopt that position, ie ready to shift my weight
behind the saddle.

Equally I’m fairly good at rolling out as well MTB, but if your doing it
often then need to do something as that’s not normal.

Roger Merriman

Old March 5th 21, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

That's from SRAM.* Here's Shimano's version:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Shimanos-Patented-Smart-Anti-Dive-Suspension-Control-Sensor,3018

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a
no-brake fixie.

Frank, add a front caliper. Really.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FACEPLNT.JPG

In real life I would. But thanks.

It is Amazing! Back when I first was riding a bicycle we had a single
rear wheel brake, built into the rear hub, and (you'll never believe
it) we used to ride without crashes. In fact the forerunner of today's
"mountain bikes" had rear wheel hub brakes, this the so called
"Repack" race. One time down the mountain and you had to rebuild the
rear brake :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 5th 21, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

That's from SRAM. Here's Shimano's version:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Shimanos-Patented-Smart-Anti-Dive-Suspension-Control-Sensor,3018

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a
no-brake fixie.

Frank, add a front caliper. Really.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FACEPLNT.JPG

In real life I would. But thanks.

It is Amazing! Back when I first was riding a bicycle we had a single
rear wheel brake, built into the rear hub, and (you'll never believe
it) we used to ride without crashes. In fact the forerunner of today's
"mountain bikes" had rear wheel hub brakes, this the so called
"Repack" race. One time down the mountain and you had to rebuild the
rear brake :-)

The younger urban fixie crowd feel that being able to stop
from normal riding speed in 6 or 8 meters is 'good enough'.
In traffic it's just not sometimes. A coaster brake is
plenty responsive enough in traffic, as you note.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 21, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My first real education into mechanical devices was a 2nd - 3rd - who
knows - hand bicycle my father bought for me (for $3.00 or so) when I
was about 12 years old. The brake didn't work so I bravely
disassembled the rear hub it to "fix it". It must have taken me a week
to put it together (repeatedly) in a manner there weren't any parts
left over and it actually worked :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 6th 21, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 06:57:31 +0700, John B. scribed:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 17:39:16 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

The younger urban fixie crowd feel that being able to stop from normal
riding speed in 6 or 8 meters is 'good enough'.
In traffic it's just not sometimes. A coaster brake is plenty responsive
enough in traffic, as you note.

My first real education into mechanical devices was a 2nd - 3rd - who
knows - hand bicycle my father bought for me (for $3.00 or so) when I
was about 12 years old. The brake didn't work so I bravely disassembled
the rear hub it to "fix it". It must have taken me a week to put it
together (repeatedly) in a manner there weren't any parts left over and
it actually worked :-)

Yep, that parts bit is always a good sign, Err, usually.

Old March 6th 21, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 3/5/2021 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/5/2021 12:09 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a

Frank, add a front caliper. Really.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FACEPLNT.JPG

In real life I would. But thanks.

It is Amazing! Back when I first was riding a bicycle we had a single
rear wheel brake, built into the rear hub, and (you'll never believe
it) we used to ride without crashes. In fact the forerunner of today's
"mountain bikes" had rear wheel hub brakes, this the so called
"Repack" race. One time down the mountain and you had to rebuild the
rear brake :-)

The first multi-speed bike I rode was a "ten speed," probably a Huffy
belonging to my brother. I was in engineering school and charmed by the
bike's relative sophistication.

A friend of mine in the neighborhood was a retro-grouch, although the
term didn't exist then. He swore his balloon tire bomber was just as
good, or would be if he just took off the metal fenders, fake gas tank,
etc. I explained the benefits of two braking forces vs. one, and of
gearing choice. But he was a law student and refused to accept the
elementary engineering explanations. So a contest ensued.

He stripped his bike, lubed all the bearings and inflated the tires
hard. He may even have trued the wheels! Round one was to pedal side by
side down a moderate hill and hit the brakes at a predetermined spot.
I'm sure the Huffy's brakes set no records, but they did far better than
his long, long skidding slide.

Round two was a roughly 1 mile race on a twisty bike-hike trail in a
wooded park. I out-braked him for the first tight turn, then stayed
ahead from there as he spun his legs out with his only gear.

In those days I probably didn't know enough to shift the ten speed out
of its highest gear. I remember my legs being so tired after the mile
that I couldn't stand up. (That condition repeated in later years, at
the end of time trials.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 6th 21, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 13:09:33 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2021 9:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 15:57:02 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/01/pat...-brake-rotors/

That's from SRAM. Here's Shimano's version:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Shimanos-Patented-Smart-Anti-Dive-Suspension-Control-Sensor,3018

Before I'd ride something that complicated, I'd switch to a no-brake fixie.

I would recommend a drogue parachute for deceleration. Notice that I
didn't say for stopping because you never really come to a complete
stop with a drogue chute:
https://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2010/11/28/alternative-braking-systemparachute/
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32642665821.html

How to stop your fixed Wolfbotts when you touch 70km/h of speed!
Parachute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6zcEtlcW74

Parachute Attached On Bicycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWMFrMRV9c

Soon, everyone will be riding bicycles with parachutes instead of
brakes.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272

LATEST NEWS ON BEANERS NEMO UK 4 September 18th 15 06:43 PM
This just in - BREAKING NEWS -Liz Hatch Latest Race Results ! Anton Berlin Racing 0 July 11th 12 04:05 PM
Latest news on Jobst Brandt, if any. pH General 0 September 7th 11 03:30 AM
latest news :Vino is heading for Liberty Seguros Ramirez Racing 14 July 28th 05 04:00 PM
latest CC news Andy Racing 0 November 7th 03 04:05 PM