recumbents and freediving

Old September 12th 03, 10:31 PM
TToommLL

Default recumbents and freediving

This summer I got my first recumbent and also started snorkeling
and freediving. I've learned a lot online, but my new hobbies share
the same terms. I'll often read something like this:

"You probably won't get bent, but you might die from an SWB."

and an hour later I'll read this:

"I finally got bent with an SWB, and I love it!"

Cheers,
Tom

Old September 12th 03, 11:45 PM
Rob Rudeski

Have you seen the IMAX film called Ocean Men? It's fantastic! I scuba dive a
lot, but free diving isn't for me. I want to spend more than 2-3 minutes
underwater.

--
Rob Rudeski
Trenton, GA

Old September 13th 03, 01:59 AM
Shwackman

"You probably won't get bent, but you might die from an SWB."
(He is speaking of "shallow water blackout")
Old September 13th 03, 02:31 AM
TToommLL

Rob Rudeski wrote;
Have you seen the IMAX film called Ocean Men? It's fantastic!

No, but I saw the "Coral Reefs" IMAX film and since
I live near a lake, thought I had to get under water.
I strap my bag of snorkel gear to my chest with a
bungy cord, lay back on the recumbent, and bike
around trying out various locations.

Tom

Old September 15th 03, 12:12 AM
Rob Rudeski

You won't find much coral reef in fresh water lakes. However, if you live
near the great lakes, especially Lake Erie, you should be able to see some
zebra mussel infestations.

--
Rob Rudeski
Trenton, GA

Rob Rudeski wrote;

Old September 15th 03, 04:21 PM
rorschandt

"Rob Rudeski" wrote in
:

You won't find much coral reef in fresh water lakes. However, if you
live near the great lakes, especially Lake Erie, you should be able to
see some zebra mussel infestations.

I was scuba certified in Grand Cayman, and dove several ship wrecks while
there. After I came back to Indiana, I went diving in the Great
Lakes near Tobermory Canada. Although the above water toography is quite
beautiful, beneath the waves is rather mundane and very cold. A ship wreck
merely looks like a bunch of telephone poles laying on the sand, with a bit
of slime growing on it, and a smattering of the forementioned Zebra
Mussels.

If you do live near water, you could try a recumbent pontoon
boat http://www.kawarthaboatdepot.com/waterbikes.htm
Old September 15th 03, 04:46 PM
MLB

rorschandt wrote in
. 97.132:

http://www.kawarthaboatdepot.com/waterbikes.htm

I wanted one of those BADLY about 10 years ago, if I lived on or near a
lake, that is what I'd be doing for my exercise!
Yamaha of all people made a real cool one back then. It was about 1600.00?
and was very fast. Didn't cavitate like the paddle boats do. Been trying to
convince my bro in law and sister (who live on a lake) to get one. Gonna
send em this link.
Old September 16th 03, 12:49 AM
Steve McDonald

The nice thing about freediving is you don't have to worry about
the "bends".

Steve McDonald