independent fabrication bikes

Old September 15th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bruno

Default independent fabrication bikes

are they all dat? anybody got one?

Old September 15th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I had a custom steel road bike made last year and love it. Never had a
more comfortable bike. Don't ride it as much as the commuters though,
because I'm paranoid about it being stolen. No great place to keep it
at work so I save it for weekends.

Old September 18th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Collin O'Neill

bruno wrote:
are they all dat? anybody got one?

I have a single-speed version of the Crown Jewel. I bought it used from
someone who is a similar size but a lighter than me. This is by far the
most comfortable frame I've ridden. Most importantly, IF makes their
frames based on your measurements, weight and intended use. I think
they did that for the person in mind, which creates a flexible bike for
me. I actually like that. My super-stiff Italian racing bike is
bone-jarring, but this thing glides over bumps despite the skinny tires.
It's moderately light. The whole bike is nineteen pounds with one brake
on it instead of two. I ride this bike every day it's not raining and
love it.

--and that's just the low end model

Oh, and for custom frames I think they're reasonably priced. You can
get custom frames that run the gamit is price range. I think some of
them jack up the price more than they need. IF doesn't seem to jack up
the price too much for the custom build.

The bike I have has lots of excellent features for commuting. I can fit
35mm tires on it with fenders, but it rides like a racing bike.

Unfortunately I can't compare other custom frames. I think I'll never
need another one unless it gets nicked or smashed.

-Collin
Old September 23rd 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

"bruno" wrote in message
oups.com...
are they all dat? anybody got one?

I don't have one, but I'm sure they are as good as any other high end
builder.