UK - Paying for the road

Old December 1st 06, 10:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

Default UK - Paying for the road

Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm

Cheers,

Vince

'Freeloader'

Old December 1st 06, 10:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Vincent Patrick wrote:
Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm

Cheers,

Vince

'Freeloader'

UK motorists have been paying tolls for some time. Have heard varying
reports of this from relations and colleagues in the UK. I certainly
don't see our local tollways doing any such thing. The fundamental flaw
with constructing these things is that they are predicated on ever
increasing traffic volumes, not only on the tollway but feeders and
local roads as well, which ultimately is a recipe for environmental and
economic disaster. Too many frigging cars, period, and `More' is no answer.
Old December 1st 06, 11:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

ray wrote:

Vincent Patrick wrote:
Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm

Cheers,

Vince

'Freeloader'

UK motorists have been paying tolls for some time. Have heard varying
reports of this from relations and colleagues in the UK. I certainly
don't see our local tollways doing any such thing. The fundamental flaw
with constructing these things is that they are predicated on ever
increasing traffic volumes, not only on the tollway but feeders and
local roads as well, which ultimately is a recipe for environmental and
economic disaster. Too many frigging cars, period, and `More' is no
answer.

If I understood it correctly, the report was about encouraging a reduction
in the relative proportion of cars, and increasing the usage of public
transport, bikes, etc.

Cheers,

Vince

Old December 1st 06, 12:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle
dewatf

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:00:28 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:

Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

I see, government in the UK has descended to the level of Sir Rod thinks
and the BBC are lobbying for it so it must be true.

So much for the home of democracy then.

dewatf.
Old December 1st 06, 10:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

dewatf wrote:

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:00:28 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:

Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

I see, government in the UK has descended to the level of Sir Rod thinks
and the BBC are lobbying for it so it must be true.

So much for the home of democracy then.

dewatf.

It is information from a commissioned study.

Cheers,

Vince

'Just two sleeps before riding home in a hotter time of day'

Old December 3rd 06, 07:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Euan

dewatf wrote:
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:00:28 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:

Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

I see, government in the UK has descended to the level of Sir Rod thinks
and the BBC are lobbying for it so it must be true.

I suggest you read the report again. What you're stating is not true.

So much for the home of democracy then.

I thought that was Greece?
--
Cheers
Euan
Old December 3rd 06, 10:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Euan wrote:

So much for the home of democracy then.

I thought that was Greece?

AFAIK, Ancient Greece was a republic, not a democracy.

No idea how it is for bicycle riding.
Old December 3rd 06, 12:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Terryc wrote:
Euan wrote:

So much for the home of democracy then.

I thought that was Greece?

AFAIK, Ancient Greece was a republic, not a democracy.

The USA is a republic. Borat got away with his life, so I guess you'll
survive saying the USA is not a democracy ... but listen for clicks on
your phone.
;-)

Donga

Old December 3rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Big Bear

Donga wrote:
Terryc wrote:

Euan wrote:

So much for the home of democracy then.

I thought that was Greece?

AFAIK, Ancient Greece was a republic, not a democracy.

The USA is a republic.

Techically a Democratic republic, I think.
In the USA you can qualify to vote.
In Ancient greece, if i remember, you basically had to be born a free
greek. Slaves and descendants didn't get to vote.

can not remember to subtle differences.
Old December 9th 06, 10:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Vincent Patrick wrote:
ray wrote:
Vincent Patrick wrote:
Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm

If I understood it correctly, the report was about encouraging a reduction
in the relative proportion of cars, and increasing the usage of public
transport, bikes, etc.

And more importantly, paying for road use, rather than car ownership.
The report suggested dropping registration charges and reducing other
taxes. If people leave their cars at home and walk or cycle, the
community doesn't incur the costs of air pollution, greenhouse gas
emissions or congestion.

A win-win outcome!
Lo

Hello Webmasters , Oxado is paying 300% more than that of google adsense [email protected] Australia 0 April 25th 06 11:23 AM
I wonder how much they're paying them? Rich UK 3 February 23rd 05 11:37 PM
Paying to ride. TJ Mountain Biking 3 February 7th 05 05:26 PM
? on ordering stuff from US stores & not paying GST/import duty ? Laurence Dodd Australia 11 January 20th 05 11:21 PM
New road hazard - fancy road markings at roundabouts Peter Fox UK 39 February 15th 04 02:16 AM