Dog-walkers throw logs at cyclists while vicious 'nail traps' areplanted in woods as tensions boil over between riders and pedestrians during lockdown

Old July 6th 20, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Dog-walkers throw logs at cyclists while vicious 'nail traps' areplanted in woods as tensions boil over between riders and pedestrians during lockdown

There are some sick and aggressive nutters out there!
QUOTE:
Dog-walkers allegedly threw logs into the path of cyclists and vicious 'nail traps' were planted in woods as tensions boiled over between riders and pedestrians during lockdown.

The ongoing pandemic has left millions of people furloughed and taking advantage of the great British countryside.

But secluded beauty spots, forests and parks have become ever busier as the weather has improved, causing tension between walkers and cyclists.

In one incident, tree surgeon Tom Hayden was leading a group of 10 cyclists through Epping Forest last Thursday night when two people walking their dogs allegedly dragged logs into the path.

Mr Hayden said that he had given the pair of dog walkers plenty of warning that he was about to pass and had pinged his bell - but the woman gave him a mouthful of abuse as he rode past before then apparently flinging logs and a paving slab (HELEN SIMMONS?) into the pathway of those behind him.

Meanwhile in Cwmbran, south Wales, a couple were left horrified when they discovered a foot-long length of carpet studded with over 30 long nails while walking their dogs.

Tom Hayden confronted walkers (pictured) in Epping Forest who allegedly threw logs in the path.

A couple were left horrified when they discovered a foot-long length of carpet studded with over 30 long nails while walking their dogs

The dog-owner said: 'Somebody has gone to a lot of trouble. There are approximately 30 very sharp two-inch nails in it.'

A Gwent Police spokesperson said: 'The carpet was safely removed by the caller and no offences were identified for further investigation, and no one was injured.'

In the Epping Forest incident,Mr Hayden was so incensed by their actions that he said he stopped his £1,800 bike a minute later and walked back to confront them.

The group of cyclists had been socially distancing so were spread out with a decent gap in between each on the evening ride.

And as they entered woodland at Highams Park, north London, the almighty row was sparked.

When Tom went back to speak to the duo, he saw that up to ten large logs had been dragged into the pathway.

He said: 'I'd seen the couple walking their dog knowing full well that quite a few cyclists use this particular trail.

'I gave them a moment to get out of the way. I'd seen that the trail opens up into a bit of a clearing and there's a jump on the left hand side. I's a very well known local spot.

'As I approached them I gave them space to start moving to the right hand side and I tapped on my bell two or three times.

'I'm 31 yrs old, I'm not a 16-year-old kid who is just charging through without even thinking.'

He went on: 'I came round the corner and she literally barked at me and started screaming something. The dog was hanging on its lead barking at us as we came past.

'We pulled up a minute later and one of the lads behind said she was getting in the way and throwing stuff directly onto the trail in front of them - at which point I left the group and walked back and confronted the two muppets.'

Tom, who is from nearby Walthamstow, explained how he began filming as an almighty row erupted in the north London woodland.

Footage shows the pair telling the cyclists off for using the path - and telling them they should be on a trail ride instead.

'You go to trail parks,' one of them said.

'This is Epping Forest! You were screaming down there full pelt - you weren't paying any attention to what's going on.'

When Tom pointed out the logs and asked how they had suddenly appeared, the woman added: 'It doesn't matter what that is. If it's in your way, move it..'

Tom then loses his cool and argues back: : 'Grow up! How old are you?

'This is a manslaughter charge that I'm stopping you from having. I'm going to stop someone else from hurting themselves.'

But the two wouldn't concede and said the bikers were going too fast.

'You were in the wrong, you were cycling irresponsibly, in the forest*.this is not a mountain bike trail,' the pair said.

'Which is why I used the bell and slowed down,' Tom says, clearly exasperated.

'It's a perfectly permissible pathway. Children ride this.'

Tom now says he wants to warn others to watch out if using paths in the forest over the weekend.

He added: 'I don't understand it. It seems very hypocritical that the man was saying he's a mountain biker but why would he condone that behaviour from another human being?

'They don't own the forest. Anyone can use the forest. I just don't understand it.

'Think about it. You really wouldn't like a paving slab wrapped around your head. We do a dangerous sport but we don't need to make it additionally dangerous.

'There are many things I'd like to say to them.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ted-woods.html
Old July 7th 20, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 22:17 6 Jul 2020, Simon Mason said:

[...]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...walkers-throw-
logs-cyclists-vicious-nail-traps-planted-woods.html

Storm in a teacup. The dog walker is right to say the paths aren't
guaranteed to be clear as it's not a mountain bike trail.

It's semi-managed forest. There are dozens of alternative paths there and
many parts have no paths at all meaning walkers or cyclists go between the
trees as they choose.

Interesting that the other 10 cyclists kept their peace while just one was
a gobby Essex man. Perhaps they knew he was in the wrong.

He and his pals could easily have taken another path rather than brushing
up against the dog walkers and needing a bell to be rung.
Old July 7th 20, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 12:30:47 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
[...]

How do you feel about objects like this being left in the woods?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/07...4043468393.jpg

Old July 7th 20, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...9/Dog-walkers-
throw-logs-cyclists-vicious-nail-traps-planted-woods.html

Storm in a teacup. The dog walker is right to say the paths aren't
guaranteed to be clear as it's not a mountain bike trail.

How do you feel about objects like this being left in the woods?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/07...8494269-image-
a-96_1594043468393.jpg

I agree that doesn't look good, although I don't know the circumstances.

The Mail article mentions two incidents and I was referring to Epping
Forest which I know well. I'm familiar with the area where the altercation
took place.