Cycling vs Football

Old July 17th 03, 04:01 PM
Colin Blackburn

Default Cycling vs Football

The case for cycling:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m...y/cycling.html

The case for football:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m.../football.html

Both, clearly, from:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/

Colin
Old July 17th 03, 07:40 PM
Peter B

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
news:MPG.1980ca9b774ff3e3989b15@localhost...

The case for cycling:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m...y/cycling.html

The case for football:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m.../football.html

I read 'em both.
Why do they need comparing?
Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't need justifying and
certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.

My 10p, Pete

Old July 18th 03, 09:48 AM
Colin Blackburn

In article , peter28
@btinternet.com says...

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message

The case for cycling:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m...y/cycling.html

The case for football:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m.../football.html

I read 'em both.
Why do they need comparing?
Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't need justifying and
certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.

Sheesh. They are just light-hearted articles from two guys who know each
other.

Colin
Old July 18th 03, 11:01 AM
martin

"Peter B" wrote in message ...
"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message

The case for cycling:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m...y/cycling.html

The case for football:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m.../football.html

I read 'em both.
Why do they need comparing?
Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't need justifying and
certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.

OT why has football received 100 times more press coverage than the
Tour when it's not even the season?. The tour will now take 101th
place with the golf as well. They could always make Lance an honorary
Brit like Ivanisovich 2 years ago.
Old July 18th 03, 04:31 PM
Tim Woodall

On 18 Jul 2003 03:01:30 -0700,
martin wrote:

OT why has football received 100 times more press coverage than the
Tour when it's not even the season?. The tour will now take 101th
place with the golf as well. They could always make Lance an honorary
Brit like Ivanisovich 2 years ago.

Earlier on this week on the today program, "Lance is ahead by one stroke"

This morning who the selector might pick to play cricket somewhere got
about 5 minutes, TdF got "Lance is still in the lead"

Tim.

and there was light.

Old July 18th 03, 09:18 PM
Peter B

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
Sheesh. They are just light-hearted articles from two guys who know each
other.

I see. That's the problem with this media.
Two people I don't know but who know one another engaging in a bit of banter
with me an outsider not in on it.
Unfortunately people can show a lot of ignorance to others pursuits and I
took the bait.
Reel me in ;-)

Pete

Old July 18th 03, 09:26 PM
Steve McGinty

wrote:

"Peter B" wrote in message ...
"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message

The case for cycling:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m...y/cycling.html

The case for football:

http://www.tangents.co.uk/tangents/m.../football.html

I read 'em both.
Why do they need comparing?
Surely if a legal pastime gives pleasure it doesn't need justifying and
certainly not at the expense of denigrating anothers choice.

OT why has football received 100 times more press coverage than the
Tour when it's not even the season?. The tour will now take 101th
place with the golf as well. They could always make Lance an honorary
Brit like Ivanisovich 2 years ago.

Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet
there is minimal interest in TdF?

Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the
greatest sporting event on the planet?

Regards!
Stephen
Old July 18th 03, 09:54 PM
Michael MacClancy

In message , Steve McGinty
writes
Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet
there is minimal interest in TdF?

Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the greatest
sporting event on the planet?

Two reasons why there's not much discussion of the TdF here.

1. There have been requests that people don't put information about the
day's result in the subject lines of posts. A reasonable request which
unfortunately probably deters some people from posting.

2. rec.bicycles.racing is a usenet forum with lots of discussion of the
TdF.
--
Michael MacClancy
Old July 19th 03, 08:12 AM
Peter B

"Steve McGinty" wrote in message
Is it the press or the UK public? This is a "cycling" newsgroup - yet
there is minimal interest in TdF?

Any views on why the majority in here have no interest in the
greatest sporting event on the planet?

Well me and the missus follow it devoutly every year, in my case it's
probably the only sport I watch on tv regularly.

I think one of the things about this group is that we are practising
cyclists, "doers" 1, rather than spectators and bar-room pundits.
Some of the sports minded people I've met over the years in fact don't
participate but spend hours glued to the box then return to work on Mondays
spouting all kinds of trivia and opinions on what they've seen and read.
Me, I'd sooner be out cycling, windsurfing or walking, amongst other things.

1 Age, fitness and ability are no barrier to enjoying cycling wheras they
usually are in most team sports, as pointed out in the Tangents "Case For
Cycling".

Pete