Got Wood?

Old July 13th 11, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default Got Wood?

On 7/12/2011 10:24 AM, Peter Cole wrote:

The real way to make a strong wooden frame is to grow the wood in a
bicycle shape. Don't laugh, shipwrights have been doing it for years,
selecting tree sections naturally in the right shape. I've seen where
some furniture makers actually train saplings on forms.

Glued wood laminates can have very good mechanical properties (ditto on
the Mosquito example), oft-maligned plywood can be very high tech stuff.
Organics have a place in engineering materials, ever more in a
sustainable world.[...]

Plywood is used for pianos, high end cabinetry, etc due to its superior
dimensional stability that is achieved by varying the grain orientation
of the plies.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 13th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
On 7/12/2011 10:24 AM, Peter Cole wrote:

The real way to make a strong wooden frame is to grow the wood in a
bicycle shape. Don't laugh, shipwrights have been doing it for years,
selecting tree sections naturally in the right shape. I've seen where
some furniture makers actually train saplings on forms.

Glued wood laminates can have very good mechanical properties (ditto on
the Mosquito example), oft-maligned plywood can be very high tech stuff.
Organics have a place in engineering materials, ever more in a
sustainable world.[...]

Plywood is used for pianos, high end cabinetry, etc due to its superior
dimensional stability that is achieved by varying the grain orientation
of the plies.

Yeah, people do the wildest things with plywood:

http://python.rice.edu/~brooks/Famil...-Images/22.jpg

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/up...hotos/2241.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 13th 11, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 7/12/2011 7:05 PM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
On 7/12/2011 10:24 AM, Peter Cole wrote:

The real way to make a strong wooden frame is to grow the wood in a
bicycle shape. Don't laugh, shipwrights have been doing it for years,
selecting tree sections naturally in the right shape. I've seen where
some furniture makers actually train saplings on forms.

Glued wood laminates can have very good mechanical properties (ditto on
the Mosquito example), oft-maligned plywood can be very high tech stuff.
Organics have a place in engineering materials, ever more in a
sustainable world.[...]

Plywood is used for pianos, high end cabinetry, etc due to its superior
dimensional stability that is achieved by varying the grain orientation
of the plies.

Right, and then there's a wide variety of plywood qualities. My neighbor
is a carpenter who builds concrete forms. He gives me scraps of 1" thick
stuff with 15 plies. Can't get that at a big box store.
Old July 13th 11, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn

On 7/12/2011 10:16 PM, Peter Cole wrote:
[...]

If you have ever seen forms "blow out" during a pour, you would (wood?)
know why such heavy duty plywood is used.

Old July 13th 11, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 7/12/2011 11:31 PM, Tºm Shermªn wrote:
[...]

I know, I've heard the war stories. There was a lot of concrete poured
during the Big Dig.

Phil Wood BB jp_nyc Techniques 17 April 14th 07 09:47 AM
Why wood (sic) someone do this? Johnny Sunset Recumbent Biking 2 February 4th 06 07:36 PM
Wood BC Plates? e39m5 Unicycling 3 July 19th 05 02:07 PM
Who's got wood? Steady Rollin' Man Racing 2 July 14th 05 12:01 PM
WTB Phil Wood BB, 113 Dave Thompson Marketplace 0 January 17th 05 04:29 PM