WHOOPS! Mountain Biker Falls, Breaking His Ribs (NZ)

Old July 20th 13, 02:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default WHOOPS! Mountain Biker Falls, Breaking His Ribs (NZ)

http://www.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/ne...-hand/1951891/

Medical equipment on hand

Alison King
19th Jul 2013 5:17 PM

New first aid equipment is now available at Mountain Bike Rotorua (MBR), Waipa. Pictured are MBR director Tak Mutu and Barbara Jenks, who helped get the equipment.

Medical emergencies of all kinds in the Whakarewarewa Forest can now be responded to with top-of-the-line equipment.

Seven months on from the launch of a fundraising campaign, medical equipment valued at thousands of dollars is now available for use. The kit includes a backboard, defibrillator, splints, neck braces and much more.

It was made possible after a funding application to First Sovereign following an initial appeal for donations. It is being stored by Mountain Bike Rotorua (MBR), which is the central hub for visitors to the Waipa car park.

"It's going to make a big difference to everyone we take out," said MBR and Multi-Day Adventures director Tak Mutu.

"We now have a scoop, which means we can get people straight into a helicopter if needed."

The appeal was launched in January after Rotorua mountain biker Wendy Ardern came across a rider on the Challenge trail who had fallen, breaking his ribs and complaining of a sore back.

An ambulance was called and a trained MBR staff member arrived, but when it began to rain they could do nothing but hold a plastic bag over the man's head to try and keep him dry. "I thought that's not right, they need someone to do something," said Mrs Ardern in January.

She approached Mr Mutu and together they drew up an equipment wishlist and an appeal was launched. The project was then adopted by the Rotorua Mountain Bike Club with Mrs Ardern at the helm.

Mrs Ardern also approached her friend Barbara Jenks, who helped with the funding application. A funding application was approved and now the equipment has all been bought, including two-way radios. Alcon has donated free transmission for the radio system.

"It's really exciting," said Mrs Jenks. "I've got MBR in my phone so if I fall off my bike I can call them. It's nice to know there are people here who can help you when you need it."

There is also a first aid kit at Planet Bike, which is on Waipa Bypass Rd and nearer to the Hill Rd car park.
Old July 22nd 13, 09:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike

Yawn.