Speaking of cameras (digi cams?)

Old December 1st 03, 11:51 PM
Jon Bond

Default Speaking of cameras (digi cams?)

My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died - LCD
cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.

Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to
throw around. But throw out your faves even if they're more expensive.

Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter
button and shutter action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying
initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of a viewfinder - everything
was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd
also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot,
but I can live without.

Any suggestions?

Jon Bond

Old December 1st 03, 11:58 PM
CP1

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -

LCD
cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.

Probably 3.1MegaPixel. Under 400 would be nice, I don't have much cash to
throw around. But throw out your faves even if they're more expensive.

Anyway, most annoying part of the old camera was lag time between shutter
button and shutter action. Second most annoying thing (more annoying
initially, but I got used to it) was the lack of a viewfinder - everything
was done with the LCD screen. Made it hard to follow action shots. I'd
also like a little more control over shutter speed and fstop and whatnot,
but I can live without.

Any suggestions?

Jon Bond

Canon digital elph.

Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.

I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.

--

CP

Old December 2nd 03, 12:03 AM
Penny S

CP1 murmured while asleep:
"Jon Bond" wrote in message
[...]

I had a nikon, now have a Canon A70.. I think the Nikon optics are better.
The delay seems the same no matter what.

Penny

Old December 2nd 03, 12:14 AM
miles todd

Penny S wrote:
CP1 murmured while asleep:

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

[...]

My dad did a ton of searching for the digital camera with the least
autofocus lag. He takes a lot of Skiing photos, so he needed the
quickest possible camera. It was also extremely important that the
optics be extremely good. As it turns out, it was a Pentax he bought,
but I can't remember the model. I do think it came in at your price
range, though.
I'd check them out.

Miles

Old December 2nd 03, 12:19 AM
Mike DeMicco

In article ,
"CP1" wrote:

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

Canon digital elph.

Small, tough and relatively inexpensive.

I am getting ready to purchase my second elph.

I've got an Canon S330 - too thick and especially too heavy to the point
that I stopped taking it with me, which is bad. I wish I'd bought the
Minolta DiMage xft.

--
Mike DeMicco
(Remove the REMOVE_THIS from my email address to reply.)

Old December 2nd 03, 12:34 AM
Destroy

Try here too

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

Old December 2nd 03, 12:57 AM
Westie

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
My old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 2500 or something like that) died -

LCD
cracked, way too expensive to repair. So, I'm getting a new one.

snip
Any suggestions?

Canon IXUS V3. Dunno what the price will be.
3.2Megapixel. Small and pocket sized., lots of features - including more
than your average manual controls if you desire, otherwise it's just point
and shoot. Very good battery life. Mostly metal body means it's robust and
I've crashed with mine more times than I can count. Usually it's in a front
pocket or pack. Cons: Relatively heavy for a pocket. But most others are
usually too big too. Shutter lag is about on par with all the others.
Speeds up a bit if you tell it you're in daylight and you set the white
balance manually etc, etc....
If it's general purpose photos and mountainbiking specifically, it's be hard
to go past this for portability and robustness versus usefulness.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old December 2nd 03, 01:12 AM
Rocketman

"miles todd" wrote in message

Penny S wrote:
CP1 murmured while asleep:

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

[...]

Probably one of the Pentax Optio cameras. Very nice, very small, well
designed. It's on my short list, along with the Canon S400, S50 and the
Nikon 4300. There is a *lot* to look at in the $300 - $400 range these
days. Have a look at www.bizrate.com www.pricewatch.com or www.pricescan.com
to see what I mean. I've seen several online shops (reputable ones) selling
the Canon S400 Digital Elph (3x, 4MP) for $389 shipped. That's *very*
tempting. The Digital Elph cameras have it all, in the most portable and
rugged package you'll find. Great, great cameras for just about everything
(except maybe studio photography).

Rocketman

Old December 2nd 03, 04:13 AM
Slacker