aero bar ends for a mountain bike?

Old August 7th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
markm75

Default aero bar ends for a mountain bike?

I was looking to get a more aerodynamic type position on my mountain
bike.. ie: reaching ahead of my handlebars..

The local shop said you really cant clamp aerobars on a mountain bike
(for some reason), but could do regular bar ends that go near the
grips (clip on?).. but even those wont give much extended reach...

Does anyone know if this is true or what aerobar might work on a
mountain bike..

I have a Schwinn Sierra from about 1999 or 2000..

Thanks

Old August 7th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
markm75

On Aug 7, 2:09 pm, markm75 wrote:
I was looking to get a more aerodynamic type position on mymountainbike.. ie: reaching ahead of my handlebars..

The local shop said you really cant clamp aerobars on amountainbike
(for some reason), but could do regular bar ends that go near the
grips (clip on?).. but even those wont give much extended reach...

Does anyone know if this is true or what aerobar might work on amountainbike..

I have a Schwinn Sierra from about 1999 or 2000..

Thanks

Slight update/clarification:

My goal is to be stretched out ahead of the bars.. a nashbar rep said
using clip on aero bars on a mountain bike wasnt a good idea as the
geometry isnt designed for it.. that steering and handling would be
off.

I would only use them on the road though.

They also mentioned the clamps must fit 25.4 mm handlebars.. as
mountain bikes are typically 25.4 and road bikes are 26 (?)..

I had found these:

Syntace C2 clip on aerobars 25.4mm! $114.98 plus shipping
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...n-Aerobars.htm

Ascent aerobars 23.8 to 26mm fit?
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...l%20Produ cts
$30

Frankly, I didnt want to spend over $30-$40 on a unit, if it even
works..

That said.. do these models still look like they should be no
problem.. are they the type you have seen around (the ones that go
just off center and ahead).

I'm not sure how to determine my handlebar clamp ability (size =
25.4mm).. but from what it seems, this clamp size is 99% sure to be
the case.

I'm also not sure if the Ascent's are really 23.8 -26mm...