Sun 28" hub problem!

Old September 9th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default Sun 28" hub problem!

I'm giving my Sun 28" to a friend who wants to use it as a distance uni,
and since I don't use it at all I thought why not give it to him. But
as I soon tried to test ride it, I immediately noticed that the hub
seems to be way loose and "slips" whenever i either slow down or put
any kind of torque into the cranks.

I can just feel it totally slipping 'round! Is there any way to fix
this by somehow tightening the axle/hub? What about pounding the axle
out (or is there a "keyway" that is supposed to lock it in?) and
reinstall it wil locktite? I know this isn't the greatest quality uni,
but it's virtually brand new and hasn't really had any use. Thanks to
anyone who can help.

|Filename: sun.jpg |

MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 9th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

Eastern pedals!!!! How do you like them?

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 9th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Evan Byrne wrote:
Eastern pedals!!!! How do you like them?

In any case, the hub is toast. Not worth replacing it would
cost almost as much a buying a complete new 28! Thery're cheap.

Old September 9th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Pretty much the same size as a 29er. Wont last a lifetime but the price
is right.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ebi...items/01-67722

Old September 10th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Take some pictures of the hub...

I bet you can just weld it so it doesn't slip.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 10th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CrazyChrisVT

Huh? What do you mean "loose"? Is the axle spinning inside the hub?
How can that be? I'm not familiar with the internal design of these
hubs, but perhaps you could tack weld it (it is certainly cheapo enough
steel for welding).

Did you do alot of hops or drops with it? Actually now that I think
about it, hops/drops shouldn't bother the axle-to-hub relationship, as
you've got weight on both forward and back pedals.

Perhaps it is simply a defective hub. I agree that it isn't worth
replacing, as new Suns are really cheap ($100 USD is what I paid), but
a quick weld might be worth a shot.

I've got a Sun 28" and it's been there and back again with nary a hub
problem. The square taper cranks are garbage, and I no longer use my
Crazy Cranks (do a forum search), and the square taper axle ends (the
threads, actually) have seen better days, but everything else is
solid.

Well the seatpost/frame connection is also garbage, but that's OK too.

This summer I was going to get a Coker (or similar big wheel), but it's
September already and I haven't been riding my Uni very much. I got
bit by this bug big time:
http://tinyurl.com/23ab4g
I'd like to see some you hardcore Muni guys try those trails! I bet
you could do it, it's like 1.5 miles down some steep rocky switchbacks.
Maybe.

--
CrazyChrisVT
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 10th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CrazyChrisVT

Hey MuniAddict, that channeladvisor price of $65 is a great deal.

--
CrazyChrisVT
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 10th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

CrazyChrisVT wrote:
[...]

I think yes, the hub was defective from the start. I never did any kind
of drop/hop with it at all and it was the very first uni I bought when
I re-started riding about 1.5 years back. It's too late however, as I
stripped the axle threads trying something stupid. No biggie as a brand
new Sun 28 can be had for as little as $64 online. Thanks everyone for
the feedback.

Old September 10th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jl0r

Where did you get the uni at? You should bring it back and talk to them
about it. At one point in time there was a product recall on the Sun
hubs... but it should have happened before the uni ever got to you. Sun
took them all back and replaced/repaired all of them.

Yes, it is possible to get in there and re-weld the spots that have
broken free.

On the other hand, I have one that is broken like this and it's great
fun. Nothing like making an accomplished unicyclist fall flat when they
try to mount.

--
jl0r
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 10th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

jl0r wrote:
Where did you get the uni at? You should bring it back and talk to them
about it. At one point in time there was a product recall on the Sun
hubs... but it should have happened before the uni ever got to you. Sun
took them all back and replaced/repaired all of them.

Yes, it is possible to get in there and re-weld the spots that have
broken free.

On the other hand, I have one that is broken like this and it's great
fun. Nothing like making an accomplished unicyclist fall flat when they
try to mount.

Haha yeah it almost felt like a "free wheel" when i tried to stop or put
and extra down force on the pedals! No luck in returning it as I've had
it so long.

Plus, the thread got distorted somehow while using my pitman puller to
remove the bearings; it has a point on it which caused a deep
impression on the end of the axle causing it to "bulge" out somewhat so
now the axle bolt won't fit any more! Oh well.

I will say I've never encountered bearings that were so difficult to
remove; they were incredibly tight and took every ounce of strength I
had to get them off!