wheel rebuilding question

Old July 27th 04, 09:23 PM
Weisse Luft

Default wheel rebuilding question

Glad you asked. Nipples, be they brass or aluminum, are anodic compared
to stainless steel spokes. In layman terms, this means they
preferentially corrode when in contact with stainless steel.

Furthermore, they are softer than the spokes and get some abuse from
wrenching. New rims need new nipples. If you go brass (plated, of
course), the cost is insignificant compared to the trouble with the old
ones.

--
Weisse Luft

Old July 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Gary Smiley

Thanks for all your help. Checking the rim databases, my t138 rim has an ERD
of 603 while an Open Pro has an ERD of 605. This translates to an extra mm
per spoke. What do you think - will the Open Pro work with my spokes?

"Gary Smiley" wrote in message
newsTiNc.194849$XM6.39888@attbi_s53...
I've had a Mavic T138 rear 36-spoke wheel (Dura-ace hub) for about 5

years,
but the spoke holes are starting to crack and it's time for a new rim. I
want to use the technique of taping the new rim next to the old one and
moving the spokes over, because the spokes seem OK and I want to save some
money. My question is: Which of today's rims will work with the same size
spokes as the T138? Do they still make T138's? If not, is there a

comparable
rim out there which uses the same sized spokes? Thanks - Gary

Old July 28th 04, 10:41 AM
James Thomson

"Gary Smiley" wrote:

Checking the rim databases, my t138 rim has an ERD of 603
while an Open Pro has an ERD of 605. This translates to an
extra mm per spoke. What do you think - will the Open Pro
work with my spokes?

In terms of spoke length, it'll be fine. Bear in mind that an Open Pro is
somewhat lighter and narrower than the rime you're replacing (and the Rhyno
recommended elsewhere is considerably broader and heavier.)

James Thomson