Got good rubber

Old July 26th 04, 05:14 AM
David L. Johnson

Default Got good rubber

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:30:24 -0700, scottt wrote:

... I start developing a flat taper on the rear close to
700 miles.

So? A flat area in the middle of the rear tire does not mean it is worn
out. It's worn out when the cord shows through.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 27th 04, 05:58 PM
S o r n i

scottt wrote:

http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/...ITOPENRUBINO23

Out of stock (no surprise at that price!).

I got a pair of Rubino Pros -- with FREE LAKE SHOES -- for $69.99 (IIRC)
from PricePoint months ago.

Lucked out with the shoes (they fit fine AND aren't half-bad), and loved the
tires. (Rear wore out fairly quickly, but front is still good.)

Trying a pair of Techno Pros right now; they're butt-ugly yellow but roll
really nice. (More tread than any other road tire I've tried.)

Bill "still have three new Veloflex Paves I can't seem to get to" S.

Old July 27th 04, 06:12 PM
izzodesh

scottt Wrote:
Yup, this is another tire question... I'm (230lbs and dropping)doing a
lot of riding in Western Washington. Lots of blacktop and chip seal
(or, crushed rock and tar-mix garbage)plus a sweet variety of hilly
terrain. I have been using Vittoria Rubino Pro Kevlar tires and love
the feel. But, like most that know, don't like the price and how fast
I can go through them. They are fantastic with very minamal
flats(knocking on wood now), but with my weight and mixture of funky
street materials, I start developing a flat taper on the rear close to
700 miles. I'd appreciate any input. And yes, I know, LBS and crappy
streets DO add up...

Thanks,
Scott

i went from 210 to 170 in a few months..
and i have been using fortezza with 105 in front and 115 psi in the
back..
i also have used hutchinson comps carbon which are ok
and gamatalia calypso for racing ONLY!
and also micheln pros are great and reliable

--
izzodesh

I race my Ti and bend my Al 8)

Old July 29th 04, 01:49 AM
supergiraffe

izzodesh Wrote:
i went from 210 to 170 in a few months..
and i have been using fortezza with 105 in front and 115 psi in the
back..
i also have used hutchinson comps carbon which are ok
and gamatalia calypso for racing ONLY!
and also micheln pros are great and reliable

Colorado Cyclist has pretty good sale prices on all their Vittoria
tires right now.

--
supergiraffe

Old July 29th 04, 01:58 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:38:09 -0700, scottt wrote:

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message .. .
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:30:24 -0700, scottt wrote:

... I start developing a flat taper on the rear close to
700 miles.

So? A flat area in the middle of the rear tire does not mean it is worn
out. It's worn out when the cord shows through.

That's true D, I get another 200-miles once there is a flat area.

You're kidding. With my tires, Avocet FasGrips, I get more like 2000
miles after the flat has developed. So, I ignore it.

Problem is, with the Rubino Pros, at this point you can almost poke your
thumbnail through the tire, and for a big boy like me and the distance
from home I usually travel I feel better with the new rubber.

Do what you want, but I weigh nearly what you do, and get 3000-4000 miles
on a tire. As I said, Avocets. Go for the "road" tire, a 25mm.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.