Mountain Bikers Don't Like to Stop!

Old June 7th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Bikers Don't Like to Stop!

So much for "enjoying nature"! What's the big deal about never
stopping?!

Mike

Thu, 7 Jun 2007:
From: stripes
To: Josh
Subject: [Touchy Feely] Mutual admiration personal accomplishment
congratulations
Thanks for doing this Josh

Tonight I cleaned the Seven Springs loop, counterclockwise, down and
up.
I've never linked them both before, but I was able to have some flow
tonight.

I'd like to make it from the Prospect parking lot to Hunter's point
without
stopping, but I can do it with only one stop. [What's the value of
never stopping?! Mike]

-Anne

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:47:20PM -0700, Josh wrote:
The idea of this thread is to post what you recently cleared / climbed
/ rode / did that you could not, or did not think you could do before.
This is your chance to say what you did and get a pat on the back.
Everyone is welcome to post their accomplishment and / or 'atta boy'.

OK now, so we all now know that Paul can climb the loose churned up
trails at RCDO. Congratulations Paul! that is quite an accomplishment!
That is so cool! (I am not being sarcastic, BTW).

When I first joined ROMP, for me it was a big deal to ride from the
Prospect lot into Fremont Older and all the way to hunter's point.
Later, it was riding up the back side from the dam without stopping.
Last month, I cleared all of Dutches Trail for the first time. It is
amazing to reflect on how far I have come.

Now, what about you?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 7th 07, 07:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Olebiker

On Jun 7, 10:20 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for "enjoying nature"! What's the big deal about never
stopping?!

Not stopping, or "dabbing", demonstrates your skill at handling
difficult terrain. It's one way that some riders like to challenge
themselves. When trying to complete a loop without dabbing, the rider
is focused on the terrain and his technique. He does not go out for
one of these rides to watch the wildlife. This is how he enjoys
nature.

Old June 7th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Olebiker wrote:
On Jun 7, 10:20 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for "enjoying nature"! What's the big deal about never
stopping?!

Not stopping, or "dabbing", demonstrates your skill at handling
difficult terrain. It's one way that some riders like to challenge
themselves. When trying to complete a loop without dabbing, the rider
is focused on the terrain and his technique. He does not go out for
one of these rides to watch the wildlife. This is how he enjoys
nature.

That's the kind of idiot that gives them all a bad name.
If he wants challenge maybe somebody could make a course on private
property. I go out to get away from both SUVs and people and actually
watch or interact with the wildlife. If some kid comes up there and
blows my trip there could be blood on the trail. I'm normally passive
but react rather badly to a$$holes.
Bill Baka
Old June 7th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Romain

Bill wrote:
Olebiker wrote:
[...]

That is a 'competition' skill for trail bike riders on a course, you
lose points every time your foot touches the ground. It's also
dangerous to have a foot out because the foot peg can grab the back of
your leg and snap it or if a pedal, gouge the crap out of it or snap it.

At least 'that' rider isn't likely to stop and interfere with your
birdwatching...

Mike
Old June 7th 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Puppet_Sock

On Jun 7, 3:06 pm, Bill wrote:
[snip]
That's the kind of idiot that gives them all a bad name.
If he wants challenge maybe somebody could make a course on private
property. I go out to get away from both SUVs and people and actually
watch or interact with the wildlife. If some kid comes up there and
blows my trip there could be blood on the trail. I'm normally passive
but react rather badly to a$$holes.

Sigh.

First, you should not interact with the wildlife. Look, but don't
interact. Getting the critters used to interacting with
humans can only end badly. Eventually the critter will insist
on the interaction with some human who does not want it,
does not know how to deal with it. And then, eventually, the
critter has to be moved or destroyed because it creates a
problem. This may not matter much for critters like squirrels,
but contributes in the wrong direction never the less.

There was a chipmunk at one camp site who had clearly
been fed by many humans before I got there. There was
a metal box available to store food in, it being bear country.
And he was there yanking on my pants leg before I even
got the hatch on the box open all the way. No, little guy,
I'm *not* feeding you. No! I said NO! Get off me you little
*******! Get the **** OFF ME! Christ!
(You'll have to imagine me shaking my leg with this damn
critter hanging off my pants.)

As to "there could be blood on the trail" it makes you
sound like the asshole.
Socks

Old June 8th 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:29:14 -0700, Olebiker wrote:

On Jun 7, 10:20 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for "enjoying nature"! What's the big deal about never
stopping?!

Not stopping, or "dabbing", demonstrates your skill at handling
difficult terrain. It's one way that some riders like to challenge
themselves. When trying to complete a loop without dabbing, the rider
is focused on the terrain and his technique. He does not go out for
one of these rides to watch the wildlife. This is how he enjoys
nature.

I understand. They "enjoy nature" by not really seeing any of it.
Weird.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 8th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 19:06:59 GMT, Bill wrote:

Olebiker wrote:
[...]

Now you know what it's like to be a hiker around mountain bikers.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 8th 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:05:58 -0400, Mike Romain
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Olebiker wrote:
[...]

If they aren't going to look at nature, they shouldn't be there. It's
not a human playground. It's wildlife habitat. Period.

Mike

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 8th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Mike Romain wrote:
Bill wrote:
Olebiker wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you are talking about the trail trials where you have to
navigate over logs, rocks, and whatever. I'm cool with that.
I just don't want some idiot to yell at me to get off **his** course.
That's about the point where I would clothesline somebody.
Like I said, I go to the mountains to chill out.
Waterfall, grass, and maybe a few birds and I'm good for the day.
As for the technical riding, I never could get it right, on a bicycle or
a motorcycle, and yesterday I saw a guy holding a track stand at a red
light. Dang showoff.
Bill Baka
Old June 8th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Puppet_Sock wrote:
On Jun 7, 3:06 pm, Bill wrote:
[snip]
[...]

I only like to watch for the most part and won't be trying to pet any
bears any time soon. Where I go is so isolated the little critters
probably have never seen a bi-ped before.

There was a chipmunk at one camp site who had clearly
been fed by many humans before I got there. There was
a metal box available to store food in, it being bear country.
And he was there yanking on my pants leg before I even
got the hatch on the box open all the way. No, little guy,
I'm *not* feeding you. No! I said NO! Get off me you little
*******! Get the **** OFF ME! Christ!
(You'll have to imagine me shaking my leg with this damn
critter hanging off my pants.)

I'm a sucker for the critters, as is my wife. We had a house in the
Chicago suburbs near the Wisconsin state line and our back yard went
down to a lake. My wife used to go out every night and feed a raccoon
family while sitting in the boat. The geese that stopped there would
chase us for trying to clean a chick's eye or render medical aid.

As to "there could be blood on the trail" it makes you
sound like the asshole.
Socks

I'm just sort of non-tolerant of idiots with attitudes. It gets old in a
hurry when you have cars full of teen to twenty somethings yelling and
honking as they pass you. By the time I get to the deep woods I want
none of that crap. I think I spent too much time with nut cases and
motorcycles before I got married. Call it a quirk.
Bill Baka