IS Headset not adjusting correctly

Old September 12th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry

Default IS Headset not adjusting correctly

I've got an alu Litespeed (Taiwan built) with an IS headset.
Problem is that I can't get the headset to adjust correctly.
It's too tight (sounds like the bearing are slightly over compressed)
and there's still a tiny bit of play in the headset - really annoying!

Is my head tube worn, causing this play? (I suspect so)
Will new bearings sort this out? (I so can these bepurchased
separately from a full IS headset assembly?)
I fear that new bearing will do nothing to banish the play if the head
tube 45 degree bevel is worn.

Any quick fix (like using a threadlock or similar between the bearing
and the headtube)?
(There's never been grease between the bearing unit the frame.)

Thanks guys

Old September 12th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Sep 12, 8:08 am, Henry wrote:
I've got an alu Litespeed (Taiwan built) with an IS headset.
Problem is that I can't get the headset to adjust correctly.
It's too tight (sounds like the bearing are slightly over compressed)
and there's still a tiny bit of play in the headset - really annoying!

Is my head tube worn, causing this play? (I suspect so)
Will new bearings sort this out? (I so can these bepurchased
separately from a full IS headset assembly?)
I fear that new bearing will do nothing to banish the play if the head
tube 45 degree bevel is worn.

Any quick fix (like using a threadlock or similar between the bearing
and the headtube)?
(There's never been grease between the bearing unit the frame.)

Thanks guys

Bearings facing the correct way..45 degree bevel towards the headtube
top and bottom? If so, may be an ovalized headtube..if so you are
pretty much screwed.

Old September 12th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

On Sep 12, 7:08 am, Henry wrote:
I've got an alu Litespeed (Taiwan built) with an IS headset.
Problem is that I can't get the headset to adjust correctly.
It's too tight (sounds like the bearing are slightly over compressed)
and there's still a tiny bit of play in the headset - really annoying!

Is my head tube worn, causing this play? (I suspect so)
Will new bearings sort this out? (I so can these bepurchased
separately from a full IS headset assembly?)
I fear that new bearing will do nothing to banish the play if the head
tube 45 degree bevel is worn.

Any quick fix (like using a threadlock or similar between the bearing
and the headtube)?
(There's never been grease between the bearing unit the frame.)

Thanks guys

like any other bearing on the bike, integrated headsets do wear out,
especially if they're ridden when not properly adjusted. how much use
has the current headset seen? unless there's obvious damage to the
bearing seats or something, the thing to try first is a new headset.

has this problem always been there? if so, it could be a sympton that
the headtube needs to be machined, meaning you'd need to find a shop
that has the tools, which is not all that common at this point in
time. this isn't necessarily likely but it is possible. also, if there
were damage to the bearing seats, machining should usually be able to
deal with it.

if there is paint on the bearing seats, that could be enough to affect
things, and you could possibly remove it yourself.

individual replacement bearings might be somewhat attainable but not
usually. but an integrated headset isn't very much beyond it's
bearings, anyway.

Old September 13th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry

On Sep 12, 8:16 pm, Nate Knutson wrote:
On Sep 12, 7:08 am, Henry wrote:

[...]

bearings, anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, I think the head tube's worn and become slightly ovalised.
It was never as 'sweet' as it sould have been from day one, probably
should have brought it back to the lbs when I first got it.
The bearings look perfect.

I'll try a new headset and if the problem remains I'll have to resort
to fixing the bearing to the headtube with an epoxy - drastic, but if
it works I shouldn't have to worry about the headset bearings until
the frame's ready for the scrap-heap.

Thanks for the advice

Old September 13th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Sep 12, 7:08 am, Henry wrote:

[...]

Put the fork in and preload the bearings so that you get good
alignment of the cups when you do this otherwise you may end up with
permanently misaligned cups and a bit of difficulty steering. Also,
if you really are gonna do this, use JB Weld.

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy

Old September 13th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:08:02 -0700, Henry
wrote:

I've got an alu Litespeed (Taiwan built) with an IS headset.
Problem is that I can't get the headset to adjust correctly.
It's too tight (sounds like the bearing are slightly over compressed)
and there's still a tiny bit of play in the headset - really annoying!

Is my head tube worn, causing this play? (I suspect so)
Will new bearings sort this out? (I so can these bepurchased
separately from a full IS headset assembly?)
I fear that new bearing will do nothing to banish the play if the head
tube 45 degree bevel is worn.

Any quick fix (like using a threadlock or similar between the bearing
and the headtube)?
(There's never been grease between the bearing unit the frame.)

Thanks guys

Integrated headsets sometimes require compensatory shims to adjust the
depth of the machined headtube in order to ensure a correct fit.
FSA offers a thin "microspacer" that's designed for use between top
cover and compression ring to prevent the top cover from coming into
contact with the top of the headtube or its bearing cup. The FSA part
number is 160-3020. As I recall, there are similar spacers offered by
Cane Creek/Aheadset.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996
http://www.businesscycles.com
-------------------------------
Old September 14th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry

wrote:

[...]

Thanks John, that's the shot!
Much better than permanently fixing a bearing to the frame.
:-)

Old September 14th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry

wrote:

[...]

I saw these "microspaces" on a site, but they don't seem to have the
45 degree angle that I'd need to "repair" the bearing seat in the head
tube.
Anybody know if such a thing exists?

Old September 14th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

"Corruat caelum!!!" - Pullus Parvus

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:00:14 -0700, Henry
wrote:

[...]

It's supremely unlikely that the cups into which the headset bearings
of your frame nest are damaged. You're giving too much credence to
Usenet Cassandras clucking caveats about ovalized headtubes. While
such distortions are theoretically possible, they're not seen in
nearly the incidence that some responders here make it seem.

Take your fork out. Wipe the steerer and crown race clean. Wipe the
headset cups and bearing cartridges clean. Wipe the top cover and
compression ring clean.

Apply a thin film of grease on all the bits you just cleaned except
the fork steerer. If the bearings are compromised, replace them.
Reassemble, being mindful to orient the bearing cartridges correctly.
After fitting the compression ring on the steerer but before you put
back the top cap, fit one or more of those microspacers on top of the
compression ring. The microspacers from FSA are apparently all just
..25 mm thick, so you may need more than one to establish proper
bearing preload (no play) while shimming the top cap away sufficiently
(no binding). To optimize the distance, you may have to experiment
through trial and reassembly with various thicknesses of spacers.

-------------------------------
Old September 16th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henry

wrote:

[...]

I have sufficient spacing at the top end, the bottom end tight -
probably 1mm gap between head tube and fork.
Do you grease the outside of the bearings when inserting them into the
frame? (I have always inserted the bearing units into the head clean
without any grease).
Would grease between the bearing unit and the frame not promote
movement, and as a result, wear of the bearing seats in the head tube?

Next step is definitely a new headset. Though as I've just become a
dad for the first time, it's not a priority.
The winter bike's out already!

Adjusting bolt on threadless headset [email protected] Techniques 6 June 17th 07 03:00 PM
Tips for adjusting a headset with a suspension fork Anthony DeLorenzo Techniques 4 March 20th 07 06:01 AM
start off correctly yesiree Australia 0 January 2nd 06 08:30 PM
Ringo Star mounted correctly? Derk Techniques 23 August 31st 04 06:51 PM