First ride of 2009

Old January 1st 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Default First ride of 2009

Well, my new year's resolution was to ride my unicycle at least once a
year. Done that. Next challenge?

It was a cold and bleak morning, and I had a teensy weensy bit of a
headache after a particularly wild night singing folk music and taking
part in an impromptu mummers' play. Going for a ride did not seem
attractive , but neither did the ring of blubber that has accumulated
around my midriff over recent weeks.

Too cold for the 700c - the wind chill factor at high speed can be
significant. Too fat for the Muni. I decided to do something
unusual and take the 20" out.

Gosh, it's slow! It took ages to ride along the tarmac drive to the
car park where I intended to practise some skills. I had the first "Do
you know you've lost the front half of your bike?", but I also found one
fisherman who asked a few sensible questions. His friend had been given
a unicycle for Christmas and was looking ofr tips on how to ride it. I
told him to Google for "Billythemountain" + "unicycling".

Down to the car park and I was soon warming up with some idling,
reversing, and general keeping it the right way up in a small space
skills. A nasty moment when I was reversing and hit an unsuspected
twig.

Some passers by asked me if I'd got the unicycle for Christmas - they
must think I'm a fast learner!

A few years ago I spent hours perfecting my one foot idling and riding
skills. It's nearly all gone now. I can idle either foot down, and one
footed with my left foot down, but that's about it. The 20" feels more
like a toy than a vehicle after all the miles I've done since then on
bigger wheels.

I moved on to nearer to the river, and after I'd worked out how to use
the timer I took this photo, just to prove to sceptics that both the
river and I exist.

Happy new year, everyone. Let's hope I get a bit more riding in this
year than last.

|Filename: New years day 08.jpg |

Mikefule

It's my sport, not your cabaret, moron.
Old January 1st 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Mike, you should update your avatar -- you look a lot different now!

--
munimutant
Old January 1st 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

I chickened out today.

The wind was sharp and making my eyes run, the sun was low and blinding
and the prom was covered in frost ans slippy.

I turned around and rode home.

But I've been doing lots of riding on my 29er over Christmas so I
didn't feel too bad.

--
cathwood

Cathy
Old January 1st 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

my first uni ride of 09 was my paper round.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you?
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*
Old January 1st 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Just got back from my first '09 ride; 9 miles of MUni with 1,700'
elevation gain.

--
MuniAddict

::'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com)

'' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=12920)::

Old January 1st 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

Mikefule;1162000 wrote:
I told him to Google for "Billythemountain" + "unicycling".

You are a bad, bad man.

--
Into the blue

Harper wrote:
i wuld get a 20' trialls uni prolly with a blu tiar.
get splined an a kh saet or ur a pansy.
get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.

Old January 2nd 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
guilhermeteles

My first ride was yesterday and I landed many new things

--
guilhermeteles

*Brazilian Uni Team*
Old January 2nd 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
innes

I was out a couple of times today:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75183.

I got quite a lot of strange looks from people who couldn't stand up on
the paths today, as I rode by on my Unicycle.

Innes

--
innes