punctures

Old March 15th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter

Default punctures

Hi - I cycle about 17km each day (5 days a week). On average I get
about 2 punctures per month... is this more than I should expect? (My
bike is just a normal "city" / around town bike - not a racing cycle or
a heavy duty "bmx" or other type of hardy touring bike).

Most of the punctures are small sharp stones or shards of glass that
get pushed through the tyre and into the tube. Is it possible to comabt
this - maybe my tyre pressure is too low, can I get "reinforced" tyres
or thicker tyres for example?

Thanks,
Peter

Old March 15th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

--

that's way way too high- small stones should not be puncturing your
tire either. what type of tire have you been using ?
Old March 15th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter

Peter wrote:

Well it's a total no-name brand ("cheng shin tire"). I would guess it
was too cheap then!

Maybe not "no-name", as apparently this is a big tyre producer! (I had
no idea). But the tyre is not particularly puncture resistant.
Old March 15th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Hi - I cycle about 17km each day (5 days a week). On average I get
about 2 punctures per month... is this more than I should expect? (My
bike is just a normal "city" / around town bike - not a racing cycle or
a heavy duty "bmx" or other type of hardy touring bike).

Most of the punctures are small sharp stones or shards of glass that
get pushed through the tyre and into the tube. Is it possible to comabt
this - maybe my tyre pressure is too low, can I get "reinforced" tyres
or thicker tyres for example?

Thanks,
Peter

--

Schwalbe Marathon Plus is probably the most puncture-resistant tire, but
they are not puncture-proof. I get a flat every 5000 miles or so, city

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_plus

Hey Jay,

Do you refuse to accept Daylight Savings Time?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Old March 15th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_3_]

Peter wrote:
:: Hi - I cycle about 17km each day (5 days a week). On average I get
:: about 2 punctures per month... is this more than I should expect? (My
:: bike is just a normal "city" / around town bike - not a racing cycle
:: or a heavy duty "bmx" or other type of hardy touring bike).
::
:: Most of the punctures are small sharp stones or shards of glass that
:: get pushed through the tyre and into the tube. Is it possible to
:: comabt this - maybe my tyre pressure is too low, can I get
:: "reinforced" tyres or thicker tyres for example?
::
:: Thanks,
:: Peter
::
:: --
Have you tried tire liners? The Mister Tuffy stuff? It works pretty well.

Pat in TX

Old March 15th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Peter" writes:
wrote:

On Mar 15, 3:48*pm, "Peter" wrote:
Hi - I cycle about 17km each day (5 days a week). On average I get
about 2 punctures per month... is this more than I should expect?
(My bike is just a normal "city" / around town bike - not a racing
cycle or a heavy duty "bmx" or other type of hardy touring bike).

Most of the punctures are small sharp stones or shards of glass that
get pushed through the tyre and into the tube. Is it possible to
comabt this - maybe my tyre pressure is too low, can I get
"reinforced" tyres or thicker tyres for example?

that's way way too high- small stones should not be puncturing your
tire either. what type of tire have you been using ?

Well it's a total no-name brand ("cheng shin tire"). I would guess it
was too cheap then!

Hoot mon! That's my tire of preference. And although my
26x1.5" slicks are rated for something like 45 psi, I pump
'em up to the 60 psi where they belong.

What is a good (and reasonably priced) tyre for general around town
use?

Cheng shins. As Eric Sande once said, they wear like iron,
ride like iron. But ya gotta keep 'em rock hard 'n
fully inflated.

And avoid riding too close to construction sites. Such
places are surrounded by all kinds of tire-puncturing
debris.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old March 15th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Hey Jay,

Do you refuse to accept Daylight Savings Time?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

I am confused. The clock in my windows system tray shows the correct time,
to within a couple seconds. But your post seems to be time-stamped
incorrectly.

J.

3 punctures Tom Crispin UK 1 November 21st 07 08:01 PM
5 punctures - what can I do? just us Australia 9 January 17th 07 11:33 PM
Punctures Heracles Pollux UK 27 January 2nd 07 10:40 AM
Punctures.. Macabre Tel Aviv Mountain Biking 8 July 30th 06 08:01 PM
punctures Steve Watkin UK 5 July 31st 03 10:06 PM