Generator Light Recommendation Wanted

Old July 16th 04, 12:52 AM
Tim McNamara

Default Generator Light Recommendation Wanted

I use the Schmidt SON and Lumotec Plus Oval lamp. I find this just
fine for riding all night (literally) in rural areas. The drag of the
hub is not noticeable whether the light is on or off. It's expensive
but IMHO well worth it.
Old July 24th 04, 02:26 AM
Frank Krygowski

Andreas Oehler wrote:

15 Jul 2004 12:22:53 +0100 (BST), David Damerell:

_all_ these dynamos, except a slipping bottle in the wet, are
_just_ as good in terms of what they put out; they put out 6V 3W.

This is too much generalisation. There are bottle dynamos, that just reach
5.9 Volt at even high spped and about 5.6 Volt at 15 km/h. The Dynosys
Lightspin is limited to 6.2 Volt.

I suppose this means, then, that there's no way to run two headlights in
series off the Lightspin. That's a trick that is possible with the
Schmidt, and with the ancient Soubitez roller generator I usually use.
It's kind of fun to have a "high beam" at higher speeds.

AFAIK, the two light trick can't be used if the generator has even a
simple Zener regulator. I wonder: is the Shimano hub generator
internally voltage-limited?

the difference
between the Schmidt and the Nexus is that the Schmidt when off causes
almost no drag, but the Nexus causes a greater (but still very small)
amount.

The Schmidt hub has about 1 Watt losses at 30 km/h, the Shimano
HB-NX30/32/50/70 5....6 Watt.

Those are losses with light off, if I understand correctly. What's the
"light on" efficiency of the Shimano line? Anybody know the figures?

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]