Front wheel to shoe clearance, or lack of...

Old July 22nd 04, 08:57 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Default Front wheel to shoe clearance, or lack of...

sugs wrote:
Is this a common situation which just has to be accomodated for by
careful riding?

It is for me.

My toes overlap my front wheel about a centimeter.

I just don't let them touch that often.

--Blair
"Last interval was about 12 years..."
Old July 22nd 04, 02:29 PM
Mark Hickey

Paul Kopit wrote:

I have wear size 47 shoes and ride 56 cm bicycles. I think the only
bicycle I've owned that I don't get toe overlap is my tandem.
Although I have had my toe touch the front wheel at low speed only,
I've never fallen because of it.

To convince yourself, try to go 10 mph and make your toe interfere
with the front wheel.

Exactly - by the time it's possible to turn the front wheel enough to
cause toe/tire contact, you're going VERY slow (or have somehow
managed to suspend the laws of physics).

What I recommend for people worried about toe overlap is to ride
around in a tight circle on nice, soft grass and practice actually
having toe to tire contact. It doesn't take long to train the reflex
to drop the heel of the foot making contact.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Old July 23rd 04, 05:21 AM
ZeeExSixAre

Default Trackstanding issues was: Front wheel to shoe clearance, or lack of...

For those of you that can, how do you accomodate for trackstanding when
you're at a light?

You really need the 30-45 degree angle to trackstand effectively. I usually
end up sliding my foot back so that my toes are over the spindle of the
forward pedal so that there's no overlap. Any other suggestions?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 23rd 04, 02:32 PM
Mark Hickey

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote:

For those of you that can, how do you accomodate for trackstanding when
you're at a light?

You really need the 30-45 degree angle to trackstand effectively. I usually
end up sliding my foot back so that my toes are over the spindle of the
forward pedal so that there's no overlap. Any other suggestions?

Just learn to drop your heel if you do make contact with the tire. It
WOULD be possible to fall due to TO when doing a track stand though -
if only because there would be a lot of people around to see it...
;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Old July 23rd 04, 06:48 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:21:14 -0400, "ZeeExSixAre"
wrote:

For those of you that can, how do you accomodate for trackstanding when
you're at a light?

You really need the 30-45 degree angle to trackstand effectively. I usually
end up sliding my foot back so that my toes are over the spindle of the
forward pedal so that there's no overlap. Any other suggestions?

Usually right foot forward and steer to the right, which is rolling up
the camber for those of us who drive on the left.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

For those of you that can, how do you accomodate for trackstanding when
you're at a light?

I never understood why people do this.

JT