TDF Rules

Old June 28th 04, 07:22 PM
Richard Bates

Default TDF Rules

The website quotes the following rule:

"All riders may render one another such minor services as lending or
exchanging food, drinks, spanners or accessories. The lending or
exchange of tubular tires, wheels or bicycles is, however, permitted
only among riders from the same team. [...]"

Does the goodwill really exist for rival teams to give each other
help?

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with.
Old June 28th 04, 08:18 PM
Simon D

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
The website quotes the following rule:

"All riders may render one another such minor services as lending or
exchanging food, drinks, spanners or accessories. The lending or
exchange of tubular tires, wheels or bicycles is, however, permitted
only among riders from the same team. [...]"

Does the goodwill really exist for rival teams to give each other
help?

Nowadays are exceptionally well supported, so inter-team camaraderie
features relatively rarely in the TdF. (Mind you, these rules sound a bit
antiquated - the idea of anyone faffing about with tubs, as opposed to
changing is wheel, is a bit of a joke!) However, consider the situation
(which regularly occurs in events of lower stature than the TdF) in which
two riders are clear on a long break, with 100km still to go. If one has no
supply of food / drink, and the other can supply, it's almost certainly to
his advantage to do so, since he's less likely to survive if his partner
gets the knock.

Old June 28th 04, 08:40 PM
Simon D

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
The website quotes the following rule:

"All riders may render one another such minor services as lending or
exchanging food, drinks, spanners or accessories. The lending or
exchange of tubular tires, wheels or bicycles is, however, permitted
only among riders from the same team. [...]"

Does the goodwill really exist for rival teams to give each other
help?

Nowadays teams are exceptionally well supported, so inter-team camaraderie

Old June 29th 04, 03:05 PM
BrakePiston

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:22:03 +0100, Richard Bates
wrote:

The website quotes the following rule:

"All riders may render one another such minor services as lending or
exchanging food, drinks, spanners or accessories. The lending or
exchange of tubular tires, wheels or bicycles is, however, permitted
only among riders from the same team. [...]"

Does the goodwill really exist for rival teams to give each other
help?

They often exchange water bottles/food. It's not unlikely that one
rider in a breakaway group will take a step back from the front of the
group to go get lots of water bottles for the other riders. Benefits
all, at the end of the day.

As for bikes/wheels, I remember once Cipollini gave Pantani a set of
wheels, 'cause Pantani crashed his. I guess they did it because they
were friends though...

Old June 29th 04, 10:28 PM
MartinM

wrote:

The website quotes the following rule:

"All riders may render one another such minor services as lending or
exchanging food, drinks, spanners or accessories. The lending or
exchange of tubular tires, wheels or bicycles is, however, permitted
only among riders from the same team. [...]"

Does the goodwill really exist for rival teams to give each other
help?

They often exchange water bottles/food. It's not unlikely that one
rider in a breakaway group will take a step back from the front of the
group to go get lots of water bottles for the other riders. Benefits
all, at the end of the day.

As for bikes/wheels, I remember once Cipollini gave Pantani a set of
wheels, 'cause Pantani crashed his. I guess they did it because they
were friends though...

While we are at it; I have no dish, no freeview box, no cable, in fact
only a very bad aerial (waiting for the super whizz bang Sky freedish)
so please no spoilers ;-)