Bike like a Drunk!

Old June 15th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Colin Nelson

Default I own an ass and a horse

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 15, 1:58 am, Bob wrote:

So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
"reasoning"- so much?

Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort

of
logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine

he
does any better on the sidewalk.

Read on. Now he's comparing himself to Jesus.

You don't understand I speak in parables. When I say, "I ride an ass
too," I'm actually saying I ride a bike which is equivalent to riding
a four-legged animal.

Actually I own an ass and a horse... Well, the ass is the new 3 speed
bike with the baskets. It's slow but it's the beast of burden I ride
on sidewalks. And the horse... being the mountain bike, which is much
faster but hardly usable in the real world of the roads. You know,
when in Rome do as the Romans, and they are riding threatening SUVs.
Only hope is the end of the Roman Empire, and the coming of the
barbarians --and the Dark Ages...

Why aren't better ways to end an empire??? Like people saying, "What
is this stupid empire good for?" and dismantling the whole thing, and
bring peace and prosperity, and stop wanting to control the world.
Well, the USSR kind of finished like that but it was taking over by
the mafia. The hope remains though...

(Did I sound like preaching?)

Well ... Now that you mention it - You are sounding a bit like St Ed Doldrum
(of the Miseries).
Do try to cheer up a bit - It can`t be as bad as it sounds.

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Old June 15th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Dane Buson

Default In God We Trust: Damn the Environment!

In rec.bicycles.misc donquijote1954 wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:52 pm, Dane Buson wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc Bob wrote:

So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
"reasoning"- so much?

Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
does any better on the sidewalk.

You think riding the sidewalk places me at odds with your god. You
probably laugh at Jesus riding an ass, right? Yours is a god of waste
and pollution (am I getting too philosophical?)...

Err, you realize that I'm an avid cyclist? That I probably use less gas than
you do since I commute to work by bike and shop by bike?

Rather than saying, "Everyone hates my message!", perhaps you should ask
"Why am I ineffective in talking to people?"

My problem with sidewalk riding is it's *stupid*. Either you go walking
pace, in which case you might as well walk, or you go bike speed and
you're a hazard to yourself and others.

It's not *wrong*, it's *dumb*. D. U. M. B.

--
Dane Buson -
You cannot run Windows innocently. Guilt of aiding & abetting, at the
Old June 16th 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bob

On Jun 15, 10:19 am, donquijote1954
wrote:
On Jun 15, 1:58 am, Bob wrote:

So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
"reasoning"- so much?

Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
does any better on the sidewalk.

Read on. Now he's comparing himself to Jesus.

You don't understand I speak in parables.

You're mistaken because everyone here understands that you're
attempting to speak in parables. You just have no gift for parables.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old June 17th 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

On Jun 15, 3:11 pm, "Colin Nelson" wrote:

Why aren't better ways to end an empire??? Like people saying, "What
is this stupid empire good for?" and dismantling the whole thing, and
bring peace and prosperity, and stop wanting to control the world.
Well, the USSR kind of finished like that but it was taking over by
the mafia. The hope remains though...

(Did I sound like preaching?)

Well ... Now that you mention it - You are sounding a bit like St Ed Doldrum
(of the Miseries).
Do try to cheer up a bit - It can`t be as bad as it sounds.

Playing god is always depressing, that's why I avoid it as much as
possible.

The promise of Armageddon is his, or at least it's in the Bible, or
just that his followers make it plausible by launching war and driving
SUVs.

"I am plenty safe enough in his hands; I am not in any danger from
that kind of a Diety. The one that I want to keep out of the reach of,
is the caricature of him which one finds in the Bible. We (that one
and I) could never respect each other, never get along together. I
have met his superior a hundred times-- in fact I amount to that
myself." -Mark Twain

Old June 17th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

On Jun 16, 12:06 am, Bob wrote:

You don't understand I speak in parables.

You're mistaken because everyone here understands that you're
attempting to speak in parables. You just have no gift for parables.

OK, let me do some serious attempt at it. Sorry if I copy a little so
I can learn...

The Parable of
The Rich Man & Lazarus
Luke 16:19-31 "Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in
purple and fine linen, DRIVING AN SUV every day. A certain BIKER,
named Lazarus, was RIDING HIS BIKE ON WHATEVER SPACE OF ROAD WAS LEFT.
Yes, even the dogs PEED ON HIS BIKE. It happened that the BIKER died,
and that he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The
rich man also died, and was buried. In Hades, he lifted up his eyes,
being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom.
He cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send
Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my
tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.'

"But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you, in your lifetime, received
your good things, and Lazarus, in like manner, bad things. But now
here he is comforted and you are in anguish. Besides all this, between
us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that those who want to pass
from here to you are not able, and that none may cross over from there
to us.'

"But Abraham said to him,
'YOUR STUPID SUV CAUSED POLLUTION AND TERROR IN LIFE, SO NOW YOU WILL
ROT IN HELL. THREE CONSECUTIVE LIFE TERMS --AND SOME WHIPPING TO
BOOT.'

Old June 19th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default THERE'S PLENTY OF ROAD RAGE IN AMERICA

(and cyclists are victims of it too)

On Jun 18, 11:19 pm, BrianNZ wrote:

Is it really that bad... do you see a road rager on the road every day?

Take it from me, THERE'S PLENTY OF ROAD RAGE IN AMERICA, and I admit
to having done it yesterday (shame on me, and on the stupid guy, of
course)...

I joined the long line of vehicles that were waiting to pass this
bridge under construction, when I noticed that many vehicles from the
other lanes were cheating the line, and decided NOT to let anyone in
front of me. In order to do that I kept a distance of no greater than
2 feet from the front of car. Then at the last minute someone just
forced his way in, giving me the choice to crash into him or give in
in ultimate defeat. Well, I gave in, but not before giving him the
finger, yes, the finger! You know, usually those things are arranged
around here (the city with the most road rage) with the guy pulling a
gun on me, and you know the rest, another piece of sensationalism for
the 6 o'clock news...

Luckily though the guy was cowering in his seat, and I felt somewhat
proud of my machism. Well, I was also wondering when the authorities
will pay any attention to all these so-common infractions of the law.
But then the accident industry (think of the lawyers, towing companies
and the doctors) may see a reduction in income. Like I said, "it's all
about money."

Old June 21st 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

--We are in a permanent state of road rage. It's part of our Karma. --

I guess at that point you can only do two things: 1- Follow the Dalai
Lama and smile at the aggressor, or 2- Get an SUV yourself and pack a
gun in it.

I'd recommend the correct way (#1), but many people don't have the
patience to deal with meditation and nonviolence. These usually are
Republicans and members of the NRA.

Old June 22nd 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default if Tanzania can learn from this

OK, if Tanzania can learn from this, why not America? Maybe we are too
arrogant for that. Or maybe it's just that "those that can change the
system, won't" because they already feel safe in their SUVs; and
"those who want to change the system, can't" because they got a little
voice, like children and cyclists...

"Particular attention is being paid to children and cyclists
(vulnerable road users) who deserve to feel safe in traffic."

Exporting knowledge
Despite increasing traffic in Denmark, the Danes have managed to keep
the number of accidents down due to road improvements, sensible
driving campaigns and good relationships between the police and the
road authorities.

This experience will now be exported to other countries such as
Tanzania, Benin, Serbia, Hungary, Iran and Bahrain.

Many other EU countries are now focusing on the way drivers react.
Holland, for example, is basing its efforts on the principle of
"sustainable safety", which targets the behavioural factor, and so has
introduced speed limits and directional control systems. Today there
are 30 km zones on half of the roads in cities. In other countries the
speed limits are automatically lowered in poor visibility conditions,
such as fog or heavy rain.

Focus on children
Great Britain and Northern Ireland have formulated a number of
recommendations for initiatives that are designed to affect the way
drivers behave. These include education programmes, law enforcement
and information campaigns. Particular attention is being paid to
children and cyclists (vulnerable road users) who deserve to feel safe
in traffic.

The Germans believe that a combined effort between the authorities and
road users will improve road safety.

A healthy road culture breeds responsible road users who show each
other respect and take special care around light road users.

http://www.cowi.com/cowi/en/menu/new...trafficsafety/

Old June 26th 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default the Big Fish runs the show

--Apparently wolves like to drive Hondas, and my Suburban is NOT even
on the list..--

I don't think that nowdays a vehicle's insurance premium is related to
its predatory ways. Well, it should be, but they got too much money,
and thus too much political power to let that happen.

A wolf can drive a Honda or a Hummer, but the latter gives him REAL
TEETH. In other words, the Big Fish runs the show...

http://www.joryjohn.com/waterville/big/suv-fishII.jpg

Bike like a Drunk! donquijote1954 General 39 June 26th 07 04:07 PM
Bike like a Drunk! donquijote1954 Social Issues 42 June 26th 07 04:07 PM
drunk drivers gordon Racing 16 March 2nd 05 12:45 AM
drunk drivers gordon Australia 17 March 2nd 05 12:45 AM
Missouri Bike Advocate Killed by Drunk Driver Kerry Nikolaisen General 3 September 16th 03 09:36 PM