Bike like a Drunk!

Old June 6th 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default Bike like a Drunk!

Well, I was considering dropping such an exciting sport in order to
survive. See, it's stupid to face the beast. Case in point is the
recent hit and run (so common in America) in which the victim faced
the bloody predator. Well, she was run over and dragged for several
miles. It can only makes me nervous to ride a bike and get on the way
of such beasts...

Luckily though I found a way around it, other than walking everywhere
or catch the noisy buses. I always wondered what was the secret to the
longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
kind of hints at their longevity. So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
own and install a couple of those huge baskets. Voila! This is
paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
out there...

So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
beware of the cars and MADD"...

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

BIKE FOR PEACE
http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

Old June 7th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll)

On Jun 6, 5:43 pm, donquijote1954 wrote:
[...]

If I was old enough, I would get a moped or scooter. And the buses are
noisy, and really musty when they go back
Thats why I'am glad Minneapolis has the light rail as an alternative.

Old June 7th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default I'm getting real mad

I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
can follow up heated debated...

http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ter&tid=675295

Just a sample...

OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

Just curious...

Old June 7th 07, 09:02 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

On Jun 6, 8:55 pm, "William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/
pto-20050322-000002.htmll)" wrote:
[...]

Before you get one, check your state's licensing requirements. In
NYS, you need a motorcycle license for them. It's pretty silly for a
moped.

Old June 7th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Jun 7, 1:12 pm, donquijote1954 wrote:
I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
can follow up heated debated...

http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ter&tid=675295

Just a sample...

OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

Just curious...

Actually there was a recent study on how talking on your phone while
driving is just as bad as driving drunk.

Old June 8th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Martin Edwards

donquijote1954 wrote:
I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
can follow up heated debated...

http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ter&tid=675295

Just a sample...

OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

Just curious...

The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management
Old June 8th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Martin Edwards ) said...

donquijote1954 wrote:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

I would side with that. The drunk, though much slower to react, is at
least paying attention to the road. Someone on a phone is not only not
paying full attention, but will out of force of habbit delay reaction.

Even someone using a hands-free phone is just not all there.

Some have argued that being distracted by using a phone is no different
than being distracted by a conversation with a passenger. This is totally
bull. When you are having a conversation with someone who is present and
as aware of the surroundings as you are, events that require an
interruption in the conversation are addressed immediately.

When you are on the phone with someone, whether you believe this or not,
you subconsciously go out of your way to keep the conversation in motion,
even if that means taking the time to say, "hold on a moment...".

If you were driving with someone and a child darts out after a ball in
front of you, you would immediately stop your conversation in mid-sentence
to deal with the sudden need to stop or swerve. When on the phone, you
are talking with someone who would react to your sudden silence. They might
think the call was dropped or you were being rude, but regardless, you
automatically try to avoid that situation OVER and above other reactions.
Whether you are aware you are doing this or not, you have the need to
seque from talking to not talking and, in that time, you hit the child.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Old June 8th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bill

Martin Edwards wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
can follow up heated debated...

http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ter&tid=675295

Just a sample...

OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

Just curious...

The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

I'll side with that. If a man is yakking on the phone he may be a
business type who is only thinking of himself and his oh so important
job. Either that or his wife is telling him what to do.
Either way, he has control of the massive metal.
Bill Baka
Old June 8th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

On Jun 8, 2:48 pm, Bill wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
can follow up heated debated...

http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ter&tid=675295

Just a sample...

OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

Just curious...

The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

I'll side with that. If a man is yakking on the phone he may be a
business type who is only thinking of himself and his oh so important
job. Either that or his wife is telling him what to do.
Either way, he has control of the massive metal.
Bill Baka-

We need to remind that to MADD. And tell them we are really mad about
it.

Old June 8th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

--The sober guy talking on the phone in his SUV isn't five years in
arrears on his child support for six children.--

Everybody picks on the drunk because he's the one with the bad image.
Lawyers, teachers, and soccer moms, who recklessly drive oversized
vehicles, are part of the system, and thus part of the hypocrisy.

Bike like a Drunk! donquijote1954 General 39 June 26th 07 04:07 PM
Bike like a Drunk! donquijote1954 Social Issues 42 June 26th 07 04:07 PM
drunk drivers gordon Racing 16 March 2nd 05 12:45 AM
drunk drivers gordon Australia 17 March 2nd 05 12:45 AM
Missouri Bike Advocate Killed by Drunk Driver Kerry Nikolaisen General 3 September 16th 03 09:36 PM