Tendonitis from an extention?

Old August 27th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

Default Tendonitis from an extention?

My left elbow has been hurting, and I think I figured out the reason: My
unicycle extentions. Yes, I have *unicycle elbow*.

I have Wyganofsky extentions on both my Coker and my 29" Schlumpf. I
rode hard for an hour yesterday. I hold my extention in my left hand.
This morning my elbow was hurting me. I think it was because of the
extention.

Has anyone had this problem before?

I have tried switching hands, but I'm nowhere near as confident or
skilled with the extention in my right hand. I've also tried holding it
in both hands, but then I'm afraid I'll lose my balance.

This only happens on rides where I'm really pushing myself to go fast,
but I'm training for The Lobster, so this could be a problem.

Oh, and how long till the pain goes away?

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 27th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

I've had a sore arm from holding the handle (regular, not extension)
doing long technical muni rides. Switching arms helps, and also trying
to keep the holding arm as relaxed as possible, though that's not easy
when your pulling for leverage.

On my 36er road rides (with handles - see pic below) I favor my right
hand, but try to use other hand or, best of all, both hands when I feel
the holding hand/arm getting tense or sore.

|Filename: Handle2_2.jpg |

steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 28th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Are you compressing any nerves in the palm of your hand by the way you
are gripping the handlebar?

Some people like the grip the handlebar so that the bar runs through
the valley at the base of the palm (by the wrist). That can compress
some nerves and blood vessels. Bicyclists who have a funky grip on the
barends of a MTB or on the brake hoods of a road bike can have that
problem. It can result in numb hands or a numb forearm or carpal
tunnel like symptoms. I don't think it would affect the elbow though
unless you are doing some strange elbow corrections to compensate to
prevent the numbness.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

john_childs wrote:
Are you compressing any nerves in the palm of your hand by the way you
are gripping the handlebar?

I don't think I'm doing that. I'll have to check that idea out tom'w.

I should have mentioned that I never had this problem with the same
extention on my Coker, even after riding 102 miles in a day, using the
ext a lot. I also didn't have it after a long ride a couple years ago
with the guni. Maybe it's just age!

Old August 29th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Memphis Mud

David_Stone wrote:
...even after riding 102 miles in a day...

Holy Moley!

--
Memphis Mud
http://www.usenet.com

TENDONITIS? datakoll Techniques 1 August 7th 07 02:01 PM
Tendonitis - Any advice to speed recovery? Mo Saycool UK 18 May 21st 06 08:38 AM
Achilles tendonitis is a painful Susan Jackson Australia 0 February 16th 05 02:30 AM
Achilles Tendonitis (I think) itbs stinks.. Techniques 0 January 18th 05 02:27 AM
Tendonitis (Achilles) SteppenW Australia 1 July 1st 04 11:19 AM