Distance travelled in 45 minute spin class?

Old September 21st 05, 02:24 PM
Googlicious

Default Distance travelled in 45 minute spin class?

Hi. Apart from "you don't travel anywhere" har har - how far does one
travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?
Thanks!

cycling biking bike

Old September 21st 05, 03:41 PM

My gut response to you questions was "about 13 miles".

The challenge in comparing rides on a spin bike with an outdoor ride is
that there's usually no energy output measurement on a spin bike. On
my road bike, I carry a GPS, so after the fact, I can use a utility to
show distanct, climbing and speed. That can then caclulate wattage.
If we had average wattage (not peak) from a session on a spin bike, we
could correlate that to distance and climbing on a spin bike and give a
pretty accurate estimation of an equivelant ride.

But we don't have average wattage from a spin ride...

So, I started looking back at my stats over the last few months for my
rides. Here are my averages over the last several weeks:

- Average ride length = 12.5 miles
- Average climbing = 560 feet
- Average ride length = 52 minutes

Now, for me, most of my spin rides (2 or 3 a week, my wife's an
instructor) are more recovery riding or hard intervals than anything
aproximating an outdoor ride. They're very hard to compare. Plus,
most people notice that the same preceived effort on a spin bike
results in a much lower heart rate than a bicycle - it's just very
different.

Anyway, Here's my guess: I'd say _my_ average 45 minute spin ride
would be the equivelent of about a 14 mile flat ride outside.

Joe

Old September 21st 05, 05:45 PM
Art Harris

Googlicious wrote:

how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

15.1 miles

Art Harris

Old September 21st 05, 06:22 PM
Bill Sornson

Art Harris wrote:
Googlicious wrote:

how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

15.1 miles

LIAR!

Old September 21st 05, 09:55 PM
Art Harris

Bill Sornson wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Googlicious wrote:

how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

15.1 miles

LIAR!

OK, 14.8 miles.

Art H.

Old September 21st 05, 10:38 PM
Zoot Katz

21 Sep 2005 13:55:12 -0700,
.com, "Art Harris"
wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Googlicious wrote:

how far does one travel, on average, in a 45 minute spinning class?

15.1 miles

LIAR!

OK, 14.8 miles.

Slow poke.