Problem installing disc caliper

Old February 24th 05, 03:43 AM
CEarly

Default Problem installing disc caliper

If someone can tell me what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the deal:
I'm attaching a Hope Mono M4 disc caliper to a RockShox Reba Team fork (ISO
disc). The front hub is Chris King ISO disc. The caliper comes with
several washers to shim it toward the center of the wheel, to get it
centered over the disc, but my problem is that without any washers, the
caliper is already slightly too far (about 1-1.5mm)toward the center of the
wheel. This is causing the rotor to rub on the caliper body a bit (noise,
drag). I can't see any way to move the caliper away from the center of the
wheel without having some sort of machining done on either the ISO mounts on
the fork, or on the mounting areas of the caliper. Is that the only
solution?

TIA,

Cal

Old February 24th 05, 04:14 AM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:43:09 -0800, "CEarly" may have
said:

I'm attaching a Hope Mono M4 disc caliper to a RockShox Reba Team fork (ISO
disc). The front hub is Chris King ISO disc. The caliper comes with
several washers to shim it toward the center of the wheel, to get it
centered over the disc, but my problem is that without any washers, the
caliper is already slightly too far (about 1-1.5mm)toward the center of the
wheel. This is causing the rotor to rub on the caliper body a bit (noise,
drag). I can't see any way to move the caliper away from the center of the
wheel without having some sort of machining done on either the ISO mounts on
the fork, or on the mounting areas of the caliper. Is that the only
solution?

There is one other way to address this, though I wouldn't try it
unless all other non-machining-based methods had been exhausted; have
a machine shop face 1.5 millimeter off the disc mounting surface,
provided that there's adequate depth for the screws. Personally, I'd
prefer to machine the hub rather than to remove material from the
relatively dainty caliper mounting lugs. *Neither* solution should be
necessary, however; I'd contact the people at Chris King for advice
before doing anything at all. (They're probably the easiest to get a
straight answer from, in this situation.)

One question; do you have any other brand of caliper available to use
for fitment check, and do you have access to a different disc-equipped
bike that you could drop the wheel into to see if the same problem
exists with another fork and caliper setup? If the clearance issue
follows the hub around from bike to bike, you know where the solution
needs to come from. If it doesn't, then the hub's probably OK but the
fork/caliper combination or one of the two components isn't.

Old February 24th 05, 04:36 AM
Charles Beristain

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:43:09 -0800, "CEarly" wrote:

If someone can tell me what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the deal:
I'm attaching a Hope Mono M4 disc caliper to a RockShox Reba Team fork (ISO
disc).

Hope has a tool that surfaces the mounting surface... Magura has one
as well... I had to have mine done for the maguras because the
surfaces were not "true" causing mis-alignment... either a crash or
that way from the factory.. don't know.

but the re-surfacing worked just fine..

charlieb in ct.