Bus racks

Old August 29th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bus racks

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 07:43:58 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-27 18:13, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 17:43:40 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Reading the thread about bus racks being to short for some bicycles
got me to thinking about how the bicycle is supported in the rack.
When I worked in bicycle shops we called those bicycle parking racks
with the two low hoops to hold the wheels "wheel benders" as we often
had wheel repairs that were caused by the sideways force on the
wheels. I wonder if bus racks have the same problem at times if that
front wheel hook is not supporting the bicycle from swaying a bit
side to side.

The wheel hook is what is supposed to prevent it from swaying. A wheel
itself can't. Just imagine: While the racks on our buses are barely wide
enough to squeeze in my 2.25" wide rear tire a 25mm road bike tire would
make the bike almost fall over, considering that the slot is just around
4" deep. Some people who still run 23mm tires or even less would also
risk marring their rims badly when the sides of the rims would bang
against the steel tube of the rack rail all the time. You'd likely feel
the damage immediately the first time you use the rim brakes.

Another detail I noticed: The handlebar end of my MTB was very close to
the windshield of the bus. Scary. I watched it on the freeway and while
the bike "came closer" it didn't quite touch glass. Despite the
panniers. That only worked because I had shortened the handlebar
significantly a few months after I bought the MTB.

What would happen if the handlebar touched the glass?

Possibly a crack. Since it is curved glass that would cause an expensive
repair and loss of service costs while the bus is in the shop.

One can only speculate. Generally speaking, if you break someone's
window, you get to pay for it, in some manner.

Not if the rack was sub-par and caused the event.

You mean if the bus company is nice enough to install bicycle racks
that, as you previously wrote, fit many bicycles and your bicycle
doesn't fit so a window gets broken it is the bus company's fault?

Logically then it is to the bus company's advantage to get rid of the
bicycle racks and thus avoid the expense of broken windows.
Old August 29th 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

If the bus driver witnessed and blessed the way it was loaded, yes.

Logically then it is to the bus company's advantage to get rid of the
bicycle racks and thus avoid the expense of broken windows.

That's what our power company PG&E pulled off. Instead of fixing fire
danger prone overhead wiring they announced they'll simply cut power if
there is high wind in summer. It is up to the political leaders to pull
the charter if such behavior goes too far.

As I said it is rather easy to build a bike rack that fits contemporary
bikes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 29th 18, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I believe that in most, if not all, cases the generating plants are
the property of the electric company. If the local government were to
"cancel their contract" where would you get electricity from?

Or do you propose that the local government, in some manner, perhaps
by a tax increase, purchase the generating plants?

Of course once furnishing electricity became the responsibility of the
local government it would become a political factor, like road
maintenance?

As I said it is rather easy to build a bike rack that fits contemporary
bikes.

But, according to your posts, the racks are already installed so you
are talking about replacing them with a larger rack? Perhaps an
increase in fare for cyclists until the new racks are paid for?

And, another thought comes to mind. Will your big brawny "new" racks
safely safely carry a slick, slim, road bike? Or will we need two sets
of racks?
Old August 29th 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It's a non-issue, important only in Joerg's mind. If the bus company had
a problem with broken windshields, they'd have fixed the racks or
protected the windshields long ago.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 29th 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

One might also speculate on whether the majority of the bus riders
actually care whether bicycle racks are installed, or not.
Old August 29th 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

John you don't get modern political administration. The road
bikes go on that _other_ bus route across town, but not
between 6 and 9am and only with a bus pass showing current
'road bike' stamp.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 29th 18, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Sacramento Transit seems to think that two bicycle carriers
per bus are adequate. This may miss the larger trend:

https://www.cato.org/publications/po...sit-apocalypse

Old August 29th 18, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Probably not :-) My only excuse is that I live in a country where if
you want to ride your bike, go ahead. But no bikes on the bus, or the
sub-way for that matter.

These stupid people here think that a bicycle is a transportation
device and if you are utilizing your transportation device why do you
need to take the bus :-)
..

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

One might ask, "why public transportation" when according to current
figures the average U.S. family owns 1.968 autos?
https://bit.ly/2Dz12vo
Old August 29th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It's about the distribution, not the plant. Utilities in America run on
the cost-plus basis which means carte blanche. They could let them run
the power plants that way but allow competition in the distribution.
Even Germany did that which, compared to a the US, is much less capitalist.

Of course once furnishing electricity became the responsibility of the
local government it would become a political factor, like road
maintenance?

Everything is a political factor these days.

As I said it is rather easy to build a bike rack that fits contemporary
bikes.

But, according to your posts, the racks are already installed so you
are talking about replacing them with a larger rack? Perhaps an
increase in fare for cyclists until the new racks are paid for?

No, I already explained that. When a design flaw is discovered they
should try to get the vendor to perform the corrections for free. Munis
have enough clout to tell them that else the biz in their direction
could shrivel up. That's a good motivator. Competition can be a
wonderful factor. Old American saying: If you don't take care of your
customer someone else will.

And, another thought comes to mind. Will your big brawny "new" racks
safely safely carry a slick, slim, road bike? Or will we need two sets
of racks?

If designed correctly it will hold both reliably.

Car racks Owen Australia 4 October 29th 09 10:58 AM
Racks is racks, right? Mike Rocket J Squirrel Techniques 46 September 24th 08 02:46 PM
Racks...Racks...Who needs a Rack??? [email protected] Racing 8 May 25th 06 07:23 PM
Racks Sam Salt UK 17 January 24th 04 06:55 PM
Racks? gravelmuncher Australia 10 November 19th 03 04:40 AM