thoughts from chris carmichael on lance deing dehydrated

Old July 21st 03, 07:00 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

Default thoughts from chris carmichael on lance deing dehydrated

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Kurgan
Gringioni wrote:

Is this the same person who told you pros don't use bodyfat as fuel?

As fuel for what?

riding in a stage race.

From: warren )
Subject: Fat as fuel

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Date: 2003-05-03 17:46:41 PST

And how many days in a row do you think a pro can do this?

And while their body is trying to get some energy from their bodyfat
because of insufficient dietary fat, glucose, and glycogen, how much
muscle tissue is cannibalized for its protein?

Still wanna go with the idea of a pro relying on bodyfat for some fuel?

-WG

Old July 21st 03, 10:58 PM
warren

In article , Kurgan
Gringioni wrote:

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Kurgan
Gringioni wrote:

Is this the same person who told you pros don't use bodyfat as fuel?

As fuel for what?

riding in a stage race.

Ah yes. They replenish their body fat each day which can provide enough
to get through the event, or maybe there isn't enough that's readily
available and they get tired.

-WG

From: warren )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing

Old July 22nd 03, 05:46 AM
warren

In article , Nick Burns
wrote:

It seems to me that you already have. Are you certain that your "source"
does not mind you publishing your opinion? It seems like you often are
slamming Carmichael and you report (seemingly) every conversation you have
with Max Testa.

The two aren't related and I don't talk about most of the stuff that I
talk with Max about. I only mention stuff that seems relevant to a
discussion. Would you rather I don't contribute useful information if
it comes from Max? I attribute the source of the information so that
people don't get an impression that I came up with the idea myself.

It also seems that you are not impressed with Carmichael
since he is not an MD and "not smart enough" to add value to the coaching
services that Mr. Armstrong requires.

I've never said anything about what not having an MD means for
Carmichael.

Different athletes have different requirements and expectations from a
coach. Even if the only thing Carmichael ever did was to reformat the
instructions he gets from Ferrari and organize the data from Lance's SRM and
other gear, that still constitutes a coaching relationship.

Chris is _encouraged_ to represent that he is prescribing Lance's
training as a means to bolster his own credibility. The problem is that
he isn't qualified or knowledgable enough to prescribe accurate
training for a rider of Lance's caliber, and to his credit, Chris
acknowledges this (not in public). I don't think it's right to
perpetuate the idea that he is that qualified. I've also said that he
is Lance's advisor and I think he's probably more comfortable with that
title too.

This doesn't mean that many cyclists can't get plenty of valuable
advice from Chris or his associates and yesterday I said that he and
his company have done some positive things WRT increasing public
awareness about the benefits of professional coaching. IOW, Chris can
still provide valuable services without being Lance's "coach". It's
also bad PR for Lance to be closely associated with Ferrari.

Someone from Italy tells me that many amateur racers or just
recreational cyclists in Italy will pay (although not much) for
coaching services but in America it is the exception rather than the
rule, so UC Davis Medical Center set up a program to offer performance
testing that is easily accessible, and affordable. They also do many
free clinics per month as a public service and to encourage people to
learn more about their own sports performance training.

I think it's good that CTS has encouraged many people to at least try
professional coaching who may have otherwise never considered it. I
also hope that there will also be a resulting increase in business for
the non-CTS coaches who are good at their craft.

-WG
Old July 22nd 03, 04:34 PM
warren

In article nk.net,
Andy Coggan wrote:

"warren" wrote in message

Chris is _encouraged_ to represent that he is prescribing Lance's
training as a means to bolster his own credibility. The problem is that
he isn't qualified or knowledgable enough to prescribe accurate
training for a rider of Lance's caliber, and to his credit, Chris
acknowledges this (not in public). I don't think it's right to
perpetuate the idea that he is that qualified.

So what *would* make him qualified, in your opinion?

The pertinent fact is that Lance wants the MOST qualified person he can
get.

Lance has access to people who have much more experience than Chris WRT
coaching/training world class cyclists and people who have a better
understanding of the related physiology.

Seems to me that he has
the necessary (??) "elite athlete" credentials based on his time spent
riding for 7-11, as well as plenty of practical experience coaching elite
athletes (as former national team coach).

Chris and Lance know that's not enough to meet Lance's needs or the
needs of some other people who want the best coaching (most
knowledgeable person) that is available.

I think the public should know that CC is ONE of Lance's coaches-which
I think is a relevant difference from saying he IS Lance's coach.

-WG
Old July 24th 03, 12:39 AM
warren

In article , chris
wrote:

Sorry you missed my point. For the record, Chris and Lance have been
together since he was 18 (ie, a junior). Pick up a copy of his book
and you'll understand Carmichael's relationship with LA.

But during the time Max was coaching Motorola he was the one
prescribing most of Lance's training, not his friend Chris. Just a
small point in time though. Maybe you were talking more about other
aspects of helpful support and guidance for Lance.(?) I agree that
without Chris Lance wouldn't be near what he is today.

Co-incidentally, when it was announced that Beloki broke his leg I
remembered that Chris's racing career ended that way.

-WG

In article , chris
wrote:

While there are plenty of good coaches who could probably bring Lance
to form for the Tour, not many could have brought Lance through the
ranks of junior cyclist to professional.

AFAIK, Chris didn't do that. Other people did. What was your point here?

-WG

Old July 24th 03, 04:33 AM
Carl Sundquist

"warren" wrote in message
In article , chris
wrote:

Sorry you missed my point. For the record, Chris and Lance have been
together since he was 18 (ie, a junior). Pick up a copy of his book
and you'll understand Carmichael's relationship with LA.

But during the time Max was coaching Motorola he was the one
prescribing most of Lance's training, not his friend Chris. Just a
small point in time though. Maybe you were talking more about other
aspects of helpful support and guidance for Lance.(?) I agree that
without Chris Lance wouldn't be near what he is today.

Co-incidentally, when it was announced that Beloki broke his leg I
remembered that Chris's racing career ended that way.

-WG

Lance was 18 in 1989 (last year Junior). IIRC he was second in Jr Worlds,
hammering most of the day on what can be considered a constantly undulating
course. People back then commented on his strength and potential.

However, Carmichael was nowhere near the radar screen as far as US national
coaches go that year. Rene Wenzel was Jr coach back then, I'm almost sure. I
know he was in 1990. As for the men's road coach, there really was no main
leader. Mark The ****ing Asshole Hodges was coaching director and run out on
a rail after 1989. Men's road coaching duties fell on a variety of
shoulders, including Jarek Bek and Jiri Mainus. At the time, pretty much
anyone who would sacrifice themselves and their time for **** pay. After Mr.
'No One Is Indispensable' Hodges was shown the door, Mark Gorski was given
the job of coaching director and he was likely instrumental in hiring
Carmichael, who AFAIK had little coaching experience before taking the USCF
job.

Chris was still riding for Schwinn as late as 1988, and possibly 1989.

According to olntv.com:

"In 1997, he [Carmichael] joined the Union Cycliste Internationale, the
international governing body for cycling headquartered in Lausanne,
Switzerland, as Olympic Solidarity Coaching Instructor."

What's an Olympic Solidarity Coaching Instructor?