TTT

Old July 9th 03, 03:04 PM
David Ryan

Default TTT

jc6239 wrote:

If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan order

Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?

Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the need
to defend it) before the mountains?

You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey?
They won't kill themselves but it's not all about Lance.
Old July 9th 03, 03:29 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"David Ryan" wrote in message
jc6239 wrote:

If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan

order
Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5 man?

Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the

need
to defend it) before the mountains?

You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey?

At best, they'll pretend.

Remember when Bruyneel played chicken w/ Telekom the year Kivilev and
company gained 35 minutes?

Old July 9th 03, 05:50 PM
Tom Nakashima

It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid his
dues more than once.
-tom

"Bobb Head" wrote in message
In article ,
David Ryan wrote:

jc6239 wrote:

If the Posties are leading the TTT in the final klick, will Johan

order
Victor to take 6th position, 5 seconds or so behind the number 5

man?

Not a chance. Why in gods name would he want Lance in Yellow (and the

need
to defend it) before the mountains?

You don't think they will lift a finger to defend Peña's jersey?
They won't kill themselves but it's not all about Lance.

Here's what I want to know...

Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to
finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results
the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the
yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on,
say, the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for
green jersey contenders, but it would mean containing early breakaways.

-- Bobb

Old July 9th 03, 08:37 PM
Tom Nakashima

Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points;
-6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send Hincapie with the breakaways,
keep Ekimov with the team.
-tom

"Steve McGinty" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:50:24 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

It might be nice to see Hincapie in an "HD" Maillot Jaune, think he paid

his
dues more than once.
-tom

"Bobb Head" wrote in message
In article ,
David Ryan wrote:

jc6239 wrote:

[...]

The point of the TTT was to show they are strongest team and to gain
what time they could on the other GC contestants. The interesting
difference this year is that the mountains come so early and rather
than orchestrate a "minions" break over the next couple of days USP
might want to hold the jersey from now to the end. If so they'll
employ a K.I.S.S. approach and won't be sharing it around.

Regards!
Stephen

Old July 9th 03, 09:01 PM
Tom Nakashima

who says you have to win those sprints?
finishing 3rd in three will do it, and finishing 3rd in two might be enough,
providing
Pena loses -1 sec. Lance and George in yellow?
-tom

"Raptor" wrote in message ...
Bobb Head wrote:

Here's what I want to know...

Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to
finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results
the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the
yellow jersey without placing Lance in the crosshairs. Focusing on,
say, the first sprint would leave two sprints and the race finish for
green jersey contenders, but it would mean containing early breakaways.

-- Bobb

Can either of them expect to win those sprints? Not from what I know.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 9th 03, 09:54 PM
Stewart Fleming

Bobb Head wrote:

Will Johan encourage Ekimov and Hincapie, both just 5 seconds behind, to
finish an intermediate sprint 1-2 in tomorrow, and reverse those results
the next day? That would honor the spirit of teamwork by sharing the

No.

Old July 9th 03, 10:09 PM
Stewart Fleming

Tom Nakashima wrote:
Yea, well I was thinking of the sprint bonus points;
-6, -4, -2 secs. for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Send Hincapie with the breakaways,
keep Ekimov with the team.

Then McEwen's and Zabel's teams would chase immediately. You'd end up
with a stage where there was no long breakaway, more frequent attacks
and a situation that would be HARDER for USPS to control.

Old July 14th 03, 08:31 AM
Bill Davidson

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
I was surprised - I thought that only die-hard fans would appreciate TTT.

A friend of mine who knows nothing about cycling also mentioned finding
the TTT the most interesting.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

Old July 24th 03, 09:52 PM
K. J. Papai

Bill Davidson wrote in message news:50tQa.1801$Ze.451@fed1read03...
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
I was surprised - I thought that only die-hard fans would appreciate TTT.

A friend of mine who knows nothing about cycling also mentioned finding
the TTT the most interesting.

My wife likes the TTT a lot too. Gets to see all those
nicely colored outfits doing a nice, 9-way dance on the asphalt.

(I hope Liggett steals my words and that Bobke doesn't)

-KJP