Really confused: Headsets, threaded, threadless, 1 inch, 1-18th inch??

Old December 12th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Really confused: Headsets, threaded, threadless, 1 inch, 1-18th inch??

Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

This is the bike I am working on:
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...temid=228&va=0

This is the fork I want to install:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...3283 &brand=\

Ken
--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy
Old December 13th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Don't know what diameter your headset is, but make sure the fork you
get is suspension-corrected (at least 413mm betw. axle to crown). In
other words, the Nashbar fork you cited is probably not suitable unless
you want your bike to have twitchier handling.

Old December 13th 05, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ken M wrote:
Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

Yes, in order to install a threadless fork (like the one from Nashbar)
on your bike, you will need to replace the headset and stem, since
"threaded" and "threadless" headsets and stems are very different
animals indeed.

1 1/8" threaded forks for 700C wheels are pretty rare. If you want to
go rigid, you may be stuck with swapping out everything.

Jeff

Old December 13th 05, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ken M wrote:
Help please! I bought this Raleigh hybrid about 3 months ago and have
ridden it about 2200-2500 miles. It's a good bike for the type of riding
I do, but with just a few changes it would be better. The fork that is
on it now is the stock Suntour suspension. I want to switch it out to a
rigid fork. The Raleigh website has it listed as having an "integrated
threaded" headset. I have been told that I can't put a 1 & 1/8th
threadless fork in this bike. I was in the LBS where I bought the bike
and they told me "Yeah we can put a threadless fork in there for you for
around $100 for all the parts and labor." The needed parts being a fork,
a headset and a stem. So now I am CONFUSED.

This is the bike I am working on:
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...temid=228&va=0

This is the fork I want to install:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...3283 &brand=\

One of the tricky aspects of upgrading is figuring out all the parts
compatibilities. If you don't have much experience perhaps it is a
better idea just to have the LBS handle it.

Generally, knowledge=experience=mistakes=extra time & money.
Old December 14th 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JeffWills wrote:
Ken M wrote:

[...]

your best shot at a rigid 1 1/8 threaded fork for 700C wheels is
probably off a tandem from the late '90s. I'm sure somebody who has
upgraded to a carbon fork has one sitting around.

Baird

Threaded vs threadless headsets Paulus Techniques 50 October 13th 05 04:14 PM
Changing RANS threaded fork to threadless [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 May 22nd 05 07:32 PM
handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM
YST threadless headsets Ian Szekeres Techniques 5 February 25th 04 09:30 AM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt General 64 August 29th 03 06:55 PM