Recommendations for Rollers?

Old December 3rd 03, 09:13 PM
NYRides

Default Recommendations for Rollers?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death on this NG, but can anybody point
me in the right direction for a not-too-expensive, decent set of rollers.
Between my job and the weather, I didn't ride half as much as usual this
summer and fall. That makes my winter off-season quite a bit longer.
Rather than slopping on another ten pounds between now and the spring, I'd
like to do some touring in my basement.

My bike is a GT MTB with narrow (Specialized Nimbus) tires. I do mostly
moderately paced touring during the season, so I'm not looking to make
rock-solid calves or to set any records. I just want to stay active. I
also know I'll probably get tired of the rollers after a few weeks, so I
need a set that's priced reasonably and that has a decent resale value.

Old December 3rd 03, 09:43 PM
Bob

I have been using Sportcrafters rollers for the past 6
weeks, and so far they have been excellent.
There's lot of information about choosing roller size
and material on their website, www.sportcrafters.com/welcometop.htm
I paid $179 at Branford Bike. These rollers appear to be the
same as the Cyclops 3.25" rollers, but less expensive.

I used a trainer for the past 2 winters, and I find the rollers much
more interesting and challenging. Now I'm doing about 30 min on the
rollers, then another 10min of hard pedalling on the trainer. I have
found that I have to earn every minute on the rollers.

As for resale value, I don't know about that. I have no plans to sell mine.

Bob

Old December 3rd 03, 11:42 PM
psycholist

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have been using Sportcrafters rollers for the past 6
weeks, and so far they have been excellent.
There's lot of information about choosing roller size
and material on their website, www.sportcrafters.com/welcometop.htm
I paid $179 at Branford Bike. These rollers appear to be the
same as the Cyclops 3.25" rollers, but less expensive.

I used a trainer for the past 2 winters, and I find the rollers much
more interesting and challenging. Now I'm doing about 30 min on the
rollers, then another 10min of hard pedalling on the trainer. I have
found that I have to earn every minute on the rollers.

As for resale value, I don't know about that. I have no plans to sell

mine.

Bob

I tore up a set of CycleOps rollers in a season. The end caps came unglued
from the rollers and the bearings got fried in no time. When I tried to get
some satisfaction from CycleOps, I found myself in line behind a long list
of creditors. CycleOps is back under different ownership, but I believe the
rollers they're selling are virtually the same as the garbage I bought from
them.

There's one name that stands WAY above all the rest in the world of rollers
and that's Kreitler. Their basic Challenger rollers are an awesome product.
I've had a set for quite a few years now and have hundreds of hours on them.
They're as smooth now as the day I bought them. Expect to pay around $300.
Also, expect to get what you pay for when you buy rollers. I know the
original poster was concerned about his budget and a relatively low level of
usage. But he also expressed concern about resale. I don't think you'd
have any trouble unloading a set of Kreitlers for a decent price. Another
brand would likely be another story.

Bob C.

Old December 3rd 03, 11:58 PM
Tim McNamara

"NYRides" writes:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death on this NG, but can
anybody point me in the right direction for a not-too-expensive,
decent set of rollers. Between my job and the weather, I didn't
ride half as much as usual this summer and fall. That makes my
winter off-season quite a bit longer. Rather than slopping on
another ten pounds between now and the spring, I'd like to do some
touring in my basement

Performance and/or Nashbar sell Tacx rollers, which are relabelled as
the respective house brand. It's a name brand in Europe. Those'd
probably be fine. Kreitlers are the best, and their lower end model
is more reasonably priced. Or you can often find them for sale used.

Old December 4th 03, 12:42 AM
Fastest Fat Climber

I second the sportcrafters recommendation. They are very smooth, come
completely assembled, have a lifetime warrenty, and are priced well.

. ..

Old December 4th 03, 06:51 AM
speedyr7

Just go on e-bay and pick yourself up a set of nashbar or performance
rollers for about $80. That way if they last you a year or two at least
you got your moneys worth. I picked up a set of performance rollers last
year and they have been working fine (about 4-5 hours of riding a week.)
How can you go wrong.

Old December 4th 03, 08:10 PM
F1

"NYRides" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been discussed to death on this NG, but can anybody

point
me in the right direction for a not-too-expensive, decent set of rollers.
Between my job and the weather, I didn't ride half as much as usual this
summer and fall. That makes my winter off-season quite a bit longer.
Rather than slopping on another ten pounds between now and the spring, I'd
like to do some touring in my basement.

My bike is a GT MTB with narrow (Specialized Nimbus) tires. I do mostly
moderately paced touring during the season, so I'm not looking to make
rock-solid calves or to set any records. I just want to stay active. I
also know I'll probably get tired of the rollers after a few weeks, so I
need a set that's priced reasonably and that has a decent resale value.

You can see the warning on the sportcrafters website ("Keep away from
sunlight and excessive heat or drum will warp and you may sense some
vibration. DO NOT transport in a car in the summer!"). I bought a set of
Nashbar PVC rollers, and they warped to the point of uselessness very soon,
and I never rode them outdoors!!. I never saw the warning about being left
in the sun or heat, but I guess the sunlight coming through the garage
window was enough. I was able to salvage them by taking the caps off, and
replacing the PVC with steel pipe. I now have much more inertia, so it
feels more natural than with PVC. If you know someone with a lathe and who
is handy, this may be a great option for you to purchase a cheap used set of
PVC rollers and convert them, otherwise, step up and get a quality pair of
METAL rollers. All I've seen is aluminum, but do not get PVC.

My other piece of advice is to MAKE SURE you properly place the front roller
where it is supposed to go. I had the placement incorrect and riding was
very difficult to the point where I attempted to give away the rollers.
Luckily I tried again and now it is a pleasure to ride. Get a set, you
won't regret it.

Old January 27th 04, 09:31 AM
Dennis Johnston

I bought a set from Excel (tacx ecotrack) the ridged ones second year I
Waigh 220 and they stay in the basement I have bin happy with them.