Lock for Thule T2?

Old May 18th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Paul

Default Lock for Thule T2?

Can anyone recommend a way to secure the trays to the Thule T2 rack?
They are fastened by screws that can easily be removed with a wrench so
someone could then slide out the trays with the bikes on them.

Thanks.

Paul
Old May 18th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

sally wrote:

How about a cable attached to your hitch?

Family newsgroup, sally.

Old May 18th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Paul wrote:
Can anyone recommend a way to secure the trays to the Thule T2 rack?
They are fastened by screws that can easily be removed with a wrench so
someone could then slide out the trays with the bikes on them.

Thanks.

Paul

You could drill two holes through the tube for each tray, and use a
padlock such as item number 1905A14 from "http://mcmaster.com" over the
entire tray.

I use this lock to lock bicycle racks to Thule crossbars. I slid a
length of fuel hose over the U shaped part to avoid rattling, but I
didn't have to go through any small holes, it went over the entire mount
and crossbar.

For your case you need the holes because if you just put the lock
diagonally across the square tube you could still slide the attachment
off the back (with rooftop bars you can't slide it past the sides).

You could also use one of the Master Python locks (1033A32 from
"http://mcmaster.com" but Lowes sells a similar lock cheaper, Home Depot
doesn't have it). This cable lock is unique in that there aren't loops
for a padlock, you thread the cable through where-ever you want, then
cinch it tight into the lock body. You could probably find a place to
drill holes to secure the trays to the rack with this sort of a cable.

I think any solution is going to involve some drilling for a lock,
either through the single square tube that the trays mount to, or
through the trays.

You could also use tamper-resistant screws in place of the screws that
come with it, but the bits for these are widely available.

Another option is a steel plate that covers the brackets so you can't
get to the screws (are these Allen screws?) Secure the steel plate over
the brackets with big pad locks that go around the tube that the trays
attach to. Use spacers to get it tight.

Thule is really deficient in their design of some products when it comes
to locking.
Old May 20th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Dart

Paul wrote:
Can anyone recommend a way to secure the trays to the Thule T2 rack?
They are fastened by screws that can easily be removed with a wrench
so someone could then slide out the trays with the bikes on them.

Thanks.

Paul

Don't count on the locks for the front wheel arms either. Pop the QR and
see how easy it is to remove a bike out from under one.

I use a thick cable lock around the bike frames and to the hitch.

Mike

Old May 23rd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
gds

On May 18, 8:36 am, Paul wrote:
Can anyone recommend a way to secure the trays to the Thule T2 rack?
They are fastened by screws that can easily be removed with a wrench so
someone could then slide out the trays with the bikes on them.

Thanks.

Paul

My own view is that bike locks are serve to slow down thieves not to
make it impossible to take the bikes. From that it follows that the
locking your bike/rack combo is a matter of preventing an
opportunistic passerby from simply grabbing your bike and taking off.
So, if you have thieves with wrenches looking to take your bike they
probably have bolt cutters andother tools as well. So, even with my
bike locked to my rack I never leave it unattended for long.

Old May 28th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bob

On May 18, 10:36 am, Paul wrote:
Can anyone recommend a way to secure the trays to the Thule T2 rack?
They are fastened by screws that can easily be removed with a wrench so
someone could then slide out the trays with the bikes on them.

Thanks.

Paul

I'm not familar with the Thule T2 rack but if your major concern is
someone with a wrench removing screws and/or bolts visit a good
hardware store and ask them about specialty fasteners like panhead
torx screws. HTH

Regards,
Bob Hunt