Plea to 'ignorant' cyclists in Linden

Old April 1st 12, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Plea to 'ignorant' cyclists in Linden

Please don't cycle on the pavements. They are for pedestrians.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ail/story.html

CYCLISTS in Linden are being asked to stop "being ignorant" and obey the
law.

Lyn Ackroyd, chair of Linden Residents' Association, made the plea, saying
she was getting fed up of repeated complaints over cyclists using pavements.

She also said too many of them are using the roads without lights – an
offence which could trigger a £30 fine.

In recent months, police have run a mission called Operation Dazzle, which
aimed to educate cyclists about safety.

It involved stopping any cyclists either using the pathways or not
displaying lights while on the roads, warning them about the peril they are
putting others in.

Lyn said: "I always get complaints about cyclists riding on the pavements.

"It's an ongoing problem and the problem is, if drivers were to hit somebody
they would be the ones in trouble, not the cyclist.

"You also get them not using lights.

"In one sense you will never completely cure the problem, but at the same
time it needs to be raised.

"Police are doing what they can but the cyclists doing this should stop –
they are being ignorant."

Gloucestershire Police said they were taking the concerns in the area
seriously.

A spokesman said: "Bike safety is something we take seriously, shown by the
fact that in the last few months an operation has been targeting those
cycling without lights in the dark and those riding on the pavement in the
area.

"Officers regularly stop cyclists using the pavement, either giving words or
advice or a £30 fine as appropriate to the situation.

"The community partnership's views have been passed on to officers in
Linden.

"Anyone else who believes this to be a problem should make contact with the
local policing team, either via 101 or through the constabulary website.

"If the community feels it is a significant issue then it can be made one of
the policing priorities for the area."

Old April 2nd 12, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Project 1t4i announces name change to Team Argos-Shimano, reveals new kit

QUOTE:
UCI Professional Continental outfit Project 1t4i, the former Skil-
Shimano team that includes young German talents John Degenkolb and
Marcel Kittel on its roster, has this morning announced that it is
changing its name to Team Argos-Shimano and has unveiled its new kit.

When the team was oficially presented in January, general manager and
team owner Iwan Spekenbrink revealed that its sponsor would be
unveiled at the end of March, explaining that the delay was due to
having to tie in with the sponsor's own marketing plan. Argos Oil,
which merged earlier this year with North Sea Group, has previously
been involved with the team as a sub-sponsor.

In a statement today on the team website, Spekenbrink said: "I am very
happy that I can finally mention the name of our new main sponsor. The
entire team is awfully proud that we have succeeded in committing a
European multinational who will enable us to develop further in the
coming years. Moreover, we find it very important that Argos
wholeheartedly underwrites our team’s core values; Team spirit (1t),
Inspiration, Integrity, Improvement and Innovation (4i’s)."

Peter Goedvolk, founder of Argos and CEO of Argos North Sea Group,
which has a combined anual turnover of €11 billion, commented: "We are
all working hard to transform from an oil company into an all-round
energy provider. For this, we are thinking far beyond oil products. In
the near future, we also want to provide electricity and gas to
European households.

"Especially in those countries where Argos is or wants to be active,
cycling is an incredibly popular sport. Therefore, I am convinced that
sponsoring this talented and ambitious cycling team is the best way to
draw European consumers’ attention to the Argos brand and thereby
realize our growth ambitions better and quicker."

Jan Dirks, the energu company's director for branded sales & marketing
Europe added: ‘We have decided to sponsor this team because Argos and
1t4i have a lot in common.

"Both the team and us are relatively new kids on the block, operating
in a mature environment. We both are very ambitious, we want to be
leading in Europe by challenging established competitors with
innovative concepts. And we both have the courage to stand out from
the crowd."

The team has five victories to its name so far this season, four of
those from Kittel including a stage of the 3 Days of De Panne earlier
this week. Its new jerseys will make their race debut in Sunday's Tour
of Flanders. Blogger the Inner Ring had already tweeted a picture of
the new kit this morning prior to the official announcement.

http://road.cc/content/news/56038-pr...-argos-shimano

--
Simon Mason

CYCLISTS asked to stop "being ignorant" and obey the law. Mr Benn[_5_] UK 5 March 25th 12 08:16 AM
A plea to the trolls Simon Mason UK 39 March 3rd 12 07:56 PM
"Ignorant and grotesque" - CTC blasts article on cyclists by RoadHaulage Association director Simon Mason[_4_] UK 24 December 23rd 11 02:40 AM
Banana's plea for help. Callistus Valerius Racing 4 June 23rd 06 06:04 PM
Cyclists are being tricked (was Dozy motorists ignorant of speed limit laws). Richard Bates UK 14 March 24th 04 06:01 PM