dealing with magpies

Old April 11th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default dealing with magpies

yesterday I set out on a 15 mile loop, first leg over the 8 mile
casueway with a 10 backwind. I stopped to set thewe GPS at the first
urn, pedaled out and a bee smot me smack on muh forehead.
then on the last leg, rode the front sidewall into a roofing nail:
first flat in 18 months.
Old April 11th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Greenwood

On Apr 7, 11:20*pm, wrote:

Thanks for the wonderful illustration of regional variation, one of my
favorite topics.

Magpies in the USA occasionally harry smaller animals near their
nests, but they scarcely ever bother people.

I found the regional variation interesting as well. Here in Northern
Colorado, the black-billed magpie is fairly common. I ride daily and
year-round, often sighting them along the creek near my house. I've
never seen any sign of aggressiveness. It's nesting season now in the
northern hemisphere, and this very morning I passed about 1 meter from
one that was perched on a fence. Not even a flinch, let alone a beak-
clacking swoop. Same story for the yellow-billed variety I used to see
in the hills east of San Jose.
Old April 11th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:23:28 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Greenwood
wrote:

On Apr 7, 11:20*pm, wrote:

Thanks for the wonderful illustration of regional variation, one of my
favorite topics.

Magpies in the USA occasionally harry smaller animals near their
nests, but they scarcely ever bother people.

I found the regional variation interesting as well. Here in Northern
Colorado, the black-billed magpie is fairly common. I ride daily and
year-round, often sighting them along the creek near my house. I've
never seen any sign of aggressiveness. It's nesting season now in the
northern hemisphere, and this very morning I passed about 1 meter from
one that was perched on a fence. Not even a flinch, let alone a beak-
clacking swoop. Same story for the yellow-billed variety I used to see
in the hills east of San Jose.

Dear Stephen,

As one of the Australian posters points out elsewhere in this thread,
the two "magpies" are from different families, with our magpies being
gentler.

I've been told of US magpies swooping at gardeners during nesting
season and startling them.

But I've never seen magpies bother people, just basset hounds and
garter snakes. The birds swooped and plucked at the basset's back
until he retreated into the house. The snakes they just pecked to
death and left lying on the walk.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 11th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

understanding needed.
many birds, especially well fed birds livijng in an easy life
environment undertake a 3-4 month spring orgy. Boat tail grackles
establish a harem out of the touring non mating season touring female
flock.
Butbutbut female grackles are promiscuous and mate with the first
second third and so on male flying by while her main prod is on the
other side of the tree or parking lot.
EEYEYEAHAHAHAHAHA they are a trip to watch. I'm trying to feed the
harem males hot dog chunks. They are too wound up defending the harem
who're busy looking for the first new dick flying down the street TO
EAT! One's haremless are eating noooo problem.
the male comes on this with, I assume from watching, a real rush of
hormones as for the remainder of his year-his testicles are wihtdrawn
into his body and along with the other sexually stimulating hormoans,
are relatively inactive.
Like flying around with your testicles hanging out to catch on the
first branch would be a real drag, no? Same reason Birdy has no
frontal lobes bit a developed brainstem.
In Spring, Birdy bangs off the walls

Magpies Travis Australia 8 November 7th 07 10:09 AM
Swooping magpies spiz Australia 15 October 8th 05 01:08 PM
Magpies season Kenzo Australia 23 September 24th 05 03:14 AM
Magpies Shabby Australia 11 September 3rd 05 01:01 AM
Magpies and helmets just us Australia 9 November 10th 04 11:08 AM