If you're on this cycle path

Old October 17th 05, 09:49 AM
iakobski

Default If you're on this cycle path

Whatever you do, don't break down. Apparently if you walk on it you
will be "robustly prosecuted".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

Old October 17th 05, 11:07 AM
Chris Malcolm

iakobski wrote:
Whatever you do, don't break down. Apparently if you walk on it you
will be "robustly prosecuted".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

I once suffered a faulty disc brake overheating and seizing full on on
my motorcycle on the Forth Road Bridge. That made it impossible to
move the motorcycle until the brake had cooled down. But you're not
allowed to stop on the Forth Road Bridge. This caused baffled
consternation and heated debate among sundry brain-damaged bridge
officials for about ten minutes. After which time the brake had cooled
down and solved the problem for them :-)

It's very kind of the public services to offer employment to these
poor people.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Old October 17th 05, 12:46 PM
Simon Bennett

iakobski wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

There simply has to be more to that story.

Old October 17th 05, 12:48 PM
David Hansen

On 17 Oct 2005 01:49:10 -0700 someone who may be "iakobski"
wrote this:-

Whatever you do, don't break down. Apparently if you walk on it you
will be "robustly prosecuted".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

That is the ****e so-called cycle path in Dundee, to use which one
is supposed to have an "identity" card.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old October 17th 05, 01:45 PM
Tony Raven

iakobski wrote:
Whatever you do, don't break down. Apparently if you walk on it you
will be "robustly prosecuted".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

Would be interesting to scoot it with one foot on a pedal and see if
they did you then quote Crank v Brookes as evidence you were not walking.

--
Tony

Anon
Old October 17th 05, 02:37 PM
dkahn400

Tony Raven wrote:
iakobski wrote:
Whatever you do, don't break down. Apparently if you walk on it
you will be "robustly prosecuted".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

Would be interesting to scoot it with one foot on a pedal and see
if they did you then quote Crank v Brookes as evidence you were not
walking.

Anyone brave/mischievous enough to tackle it with a push scooter?
Skates? Pogo-stick?

--
Dave...

Old October 17th 05, 06:53 PM
Danny Colyer

iakobski wrote:
Would be interesting to scoot it with one foot on a pedal and see
if they did you then quote Crank v Brookes as evidence you were not
walking.

prompting dkahn400 to wonder:
Anyone brave/mischievous enough to tackle it with a push scooter?
Skates? Pogo-stick?

If I was up that way I'd be tempted to try it on a unicycle.

David Stone, a regular unicycle commuter in New York, recently posted to
rec.sport.unicycling about having been stopped by a policemen who seemed
worried that he might be a terrorist.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Old October 17th 05, 07:08 PM
soup

Simon Bennett wrote:
There simply has to be more to that story.

Mmmmm top of the head not taking sides etc.

Supposed to have a card to use that "cycle path" - She wasn't cycling
so no "card" would be valid
She was told not to proceed - By the gateman, but she did
She was told to turn back - By the harbour master, but she didn't.

Fair enough the rules surrounding that "cycle path" are ludicrous but
if two seperate(?) people tell you not to do something and legally you
shouldn't be there in the first place ... the phrase "author of your own
misfortune" comes to mind.

That article says she is being "done" for trespassing on the cycle path
but I very much doubt that she will be being "done" for that, rather I
feel she is being "done" for trespassing in a dockyard.
Have a hunch that if she had been on a bike that had "broken down" any
"lawmen" involved would have shown a bit of common sense and not
"lifted" her, wouldn't surprise me if they threw the bike in the back of
the wagon and driven her to the gate at the far side.

Lots of feel and think in that post as I am not familiar with the
case but reading between the lines (V-dangerous on usenet).

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Old October 17th 05, 07:48 PM
John_Kane

wrote this:-

Whatever you do, don't break down. Apparently if you walk on it you
will be "robustly prosecuted".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...829289,00.html

That is the ****e so-called cycle path in Dundee, to use which one
is supposed to have an "identity" card.

Well it if is then it is. The requirement may be stupid or not but
obviously the woman was abismally stupid. If I read it correctly
Signs
Gatekeeper
Harbour master ( with megaphone)

What did she want, HM to tell her she was breaking the law? I think
she got off lightly.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old October 17th 05, 08:21 PM
Dave Kahn

Danny Colyer wrote:
iakobski wrote:

Would be interesting to scoot it with one foot on a pedal and see
if they did you then quote Crank v Brookes as evidence you were not
walking.

prompting dkahn400 to wonder:

Anyone brave/mischievous enough to tackle it with a push scooter?
Skates? Pogo-stick?

If I was up that way I'd be tempted to try it on a unicycle.

There's no doubt in my mind that riding a unicycle would definitely be
cycling, as long as you didn't upd too often. In the official mind,
however, who knows?

Space Hopper anyone?

David Stone, a regular unicycle commuter in New York, recently posted to
rec.sport.unicycling about having been stopped by a policemen who seemed
worried that he might be a terrorist.

Well of course, it is a well-known Al Quaeda ploy to use uni-cycles.
There was the suspicious case of the man of Arab appearance who enrolled
in a uni-cycle course and told the instructors he wasn't particularly
bothered about mounting or dismounting. He just wanted to be able to
ride towards tall buildings.

--
Dave...

Cycle Saturation Project John Hearns UK 0 April 11th 05 02:07 PM
London cycle lanes to be enforced Richard Bates UK 28 August 9th 04 01:52 PM
crap cycle path davek UK 28 May 12th 04 01:32 PM
Helmets Vivian UK 460 April 28th 04 09:38 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM