Is riding with a bent seat post just asking for trouble?

Old April 7th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default Is riding with a bent seat post just asking for trouble?

Dear RBT:

RTC has my new Thompson seat post, which they are going to swap at no
additional charge:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-seatpost.htm

I am very busy at work, and can't get away for a couple days. Is
riding on this bent seat post just asking for a disaster?

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...-seat-post.jpg

I also found out that my bent seat post did not come from Electra. It
was bought from some 3rd party by RTC. I agree with earlier RBT
comments, that the cheap seat post, combined with the frame angle,
with my 210lbs rider weight + 20 lbs backpack, simply will not work.
Physics 101.

J.

Old April 7th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jay wrote:

I agree with earlier RBT
comments, that the cheap seat post, combined with the frame angle,
with my 210lbs rider weight + 20 lbs backpack, simply will not work.

I bet you'll be happier and more comfortable on the bike if you mount
a rack and basket that can hold your backpack. The bike won't mind a
bit.

It need not be as generous as this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/1954507964/

Chalo
Old April 7th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 6:58*pm, Jay wrote:
Dear RBT:

RTC has my new Thompson seat post, which they are going to swap at no
additional charge:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-seatpost.htm

I am very busy at work, and can't get away for a couple days. Is
riding on this bent seat post just asking for a disaster?

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...-seat-post.jpg

I also found out that my bent seat post did not come from Electra. It
was bought from some 3rd party by RTC. I agree with earlier RBT
comments, that the cheap seat post, combined with the frame angle,
with my 210lbs rider weight + 20 lbs backpack, simply will not work.
Physics 101.

J.

I think when it fails, it will just sag more and not break off, though
it may. It's so close to the rear rack, that I don't think it would be
a disaster.

I'd just ride it for the few days and I'm heavier than you are. I
wouldn't kick myself if it failed in those few days either though.

I don't think on that bike (due to the rack being ready to catch you)
that it is dangerous. Particularly if you are aware that it is on it's
last legs.

Joseph
Old April 7th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 10:55*pm, Werehatrack wrote:

IMO, these long very-slack-angle seatposts are not a good idea;
unfortunately, a conventional frame design that's drive-forward (like
several of the Electras) will often have this misfeature as a side
effect. *

Not sound negative, but I agree, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised
if the newly spec'ed Thomson suffers the same fate.

Joseph
Old April 7th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Jay may
have said:

Dear RBT:

RTC has my new Thompson seat post, which they are going to swap at no
additional charge:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-seatpost.htm

I am very busy at work, and can't get away for a couple days. Is
riding on this bent seat post just asking for a disaster?

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...-seat-post.jpg

I also found out that my bent seat post did not come from Electra. It
was bought from some 3rd party by RTC. I agree with earlier RBT
comments, that the cheap seat post, combined with the frame angle,
with my 210lbs rider weight + 20 lbs backpack, simply will not work.
Physics 101.

If it's an aluminum post, I'd either ride with extreme attentiveness
and the expectation that the seat post may break without warning, or
I'd ride a different bike. Not everyone has the latter option. (I
do, but that's because (as my S.O. is wont to say) the patio looks
like a bike junkyard. Erm, make that "bike junkie's stash".

Old April 7th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

have said:

[...]

Dear Werehatrack,

Nonsense!

That's just her hysterical description of a well-stocked bicycle
stable with a reasonable selection of appropriate rides.

In fact, your patio probably has room for a few more bargains.

Would she send you to play against Tiger Woods with only a putter and
a single ball in your golf bag?

You should explain that as a gentleman you cannot possibly stoop to
her level and will therefore say nothing at all about her shoe
collection.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old April 8th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Jay" wrote in message
Dear RBT:

RTC has my new Thompson seat post, which they are going to swap at no
additional charge:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-seatpost.htm

I am very busy at work, and can't get away for a couple days. Is
riding on this bent seat post just asking for a disaster?

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...-seat-post.jpg

Thanks guys;

I am going to take tomorrow afternoon off, for the seat post swap, SM+
tires, 30-day tune up, etc. It is hard to enjoy riding, with a bent seat
post.

J.

Old April 8th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Jay wrote:

I am very busy at work, and can't get away for a couple days. Is
riding on this bent seat post just asking for a disaster?

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...-seat-post.jpg

yes

--
Michael Press
Old April 8th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
Dear RBT:

RTC has my new Thompson seat post, which they are going to swap at no
additional charge:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-seatpost.htm

I am very busy at work, and can't get away for a couple days. Is
riding on this bent seat post just asking for a disaster?

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...-seat-post.jpg

I also found out that my bent seat post did not come from Electra. It
was bought from some 3rd party by RTC. I agree with earlier RBT
comments, that the cheap seat post, combined with the frame angle,
with my 210lbs rider weight + 20 lbs backpack, simply will not work.
Physics 101.

Actually first semester "Mechanics of Materials" is the appropriate
class: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JPZ0KT57L._AA240_.jpg.

Old April 8th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Joseph Santaniello wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

IMO, these long very-slack-angle seatposts are not a good idea;
unfortunately, a conventional frame design that's drive-forward (like
several of the Electras) will often have this misfeature as a side
effect.

Not sound negative, but I agree, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised
if the newly spec'ed Thomson suffers the same fate.

Not a chance. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't proved it to my
own satisfaction, but the Thomson post will tolerate much higher

My Surly 1x1 had a very normal seat angle, but I was using a 410mm
post near its maximum extension, and I weighed up to and in excess of
400 pounds during the time I owned that bike. I had no definite
reason to believe that the seatpost would fare any better than all the
others I tried, but it did.

Note that the Thomson post is the established favorite of the downhill/
hucking bike crowd, and a lot of those bikes use slack seatpost angles
too-- much slacker than their effective seat angles.

Chalo

Bent Seat Post Uni Tricks Unicycling 2 March 19th 08 11:59 AM
uncycle rail seat post vs bike seat post onewheelmadness Unicycling 1 January 17th 08 10:11 PM
Bent seat post OzCableguy Australia 2 November 21st 06 05:51 AM
Seat Post Slipping - Seat Post Clamp Question [email protected] Techniques 14 April 23rd 05 01:05 AM
Seat Post Trouble DK Unicycling 10 December 22nd 04 02:30 PM