Air Pollution Triggers Heart Risk for Cyclistsfrom Scientific American

Old July 15th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark J.

Default OT - Why Denmark is Better Than Texas

On 7/15/2011 9:56 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jul 15, 3:47 am, Lou wrote:

Denmarks climate is not as extreme as the other Scandinavian countries.
It is much like the Dutch climate. Got the day off today to work on my
home improvement project of this year. Plan a 100 km ride later this
afternoon. All this I would not do when it was 104 F, but it's 20-21 C,
partly cloudy with a gentle breeze. Good luck with your Texas/Austin
climate.

I had the pleasure of traveling through Solvang, California recently, a
Danish enclave become tourist-spot now celebrating its 100th
anniversary. As we drove into the area, a hot, dry Oak
savanna-in-a-valley, I wondered why Danish folk would come here - it's
not like Denmark at all. When we touristed through Solvang the next
day, I learned that these Danish /didn't/ come from Denmark - they came
from Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota after initially immigrating /there/. I
imagine those Solvang-founders-to-be saying "Danmark vas never like dis,
let's find a varmer spot!"

Cycling content: Solvang regularly hosts a time trial stage of the Tour
of California, and has lovely quiet roads for cycling in the vicinity.
I retraced a ride from my youth that was a lot harder than I remembered
(Figueroa Mountain Road), discovering that I'm a lot older than I was 30
years ago.

Mark J.
Old July 15th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

On Jul 15, 3:47 am, Lou wrote:

[...]

Yeah, some days I get that slap in the face just riding to
work. Other days, such as this morning, the bike climbs by
itself and I just watch.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 15th 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jul 15, 2:58*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Yeah, some days I get that slap in the face just riding to
work. Other days, such as this morning, the bike climbs by
itself and I just watch.

Now _that's_ self stability!

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 11, 12:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Jul 15, 8:19*am, " wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:59*pm, "T°m Sherm@n" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 7/14/2011 5:40 PM, Peter Cole wrote:

On 7/14/2011 1:41 PM, AMuzi wrote:
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
On Jul 13, 9:34 am, Peter Cole wrote:
[...]
Good news that segregating bike traffic helps, though.

No, it doesn't work. Holland and Denmark are a complete failure. The
success stories are to be found somewhere in Florida and Texas.

Texas is a roughly $1.5 trillion dollar economy.
Denmark turns over roughly US$300 billion.

This is not news. Here are a couple of easily found links
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/denmark/gdp
http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...us_equivalents

I don't know where all this is going. The only point I was trying to
make is that it seems to be becoming more obvious that cycling in close
proximity to MV exhaust isn't good for you and even small separation can
be helpful -- something my nose told me long ago.

I don't know what the 5x GDP of Texas vs. Denmark proves, when Texas has
5x the population, too.

But Texas has way more than 5 times the criminals (both white and blue
collar), religious nuts, ignoramuses, SUVs, sociopathic crony
capitalists, and other undesirables compared to Denmark. *Also more than
5 times the population of homeless, untreated ill, chronically hungry,
and exploited low wage workers.

The laws regarding victimless crimes are much more sensible in Denmark
than Texas, due to the population being aware of The Enlightenment,
rather than the socially regressive nature of Texas.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen is pretty far right-wing by Danish standards, but
a far cry from the brutality and ignorance of Shrub Bush and Good-hair
Perry (not to mention the criminality of the former).

Denmark has the much superior climate 9 months out of the year. *And one
of the best names for a bicycle manufacturer:
http://www.larryvsharry.com/english/.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.

But, but, but....Texas is the most macho, tough, god fearing state in
the good ol' USA. Plus we have the handsomest, toughest, most macho,
most religious , and soon to be president of the USA, Rick Perry. He
is on a mission from god to become president so that he can minister
to us, or so he claims. No more black communist foreigners and
feminazis in the whitehouse. *Do I have to remind u that GHB, BWB and
Alberto Gonzalez are all from TX?

Texas is also so macho that it is one of the least educated states in
the nation, and it has cut pretty much all educational and social
services for the state in the last budget session, despite having some
of the richest and most powerful corporations in the WORLD. NOw, that
is really, really macho!

Finally, we got CHALO, and this makes us the bestest of the best.

"The Middle Class is what has distinguished this country from the rest
of the world for hundreds of years. Not Freedom. The Brits have more
freedom than we do and did almost from the time we were breaking fee
from Great Britain. The French have real, total freedom as do the
Swedes and Danes and Dutch and Germans and Swiss….far more freedom
than we have. What we have is more geography, more space. Germany is
the size of New York State. You could put all of Eastern and Western
Europe east of the Rocky Mountains with room to spare."

http://www.populistdaily.com/politic...ze-energy.html

Regrettably, this much space has not translated into more space for
bicycles...
Old July 16th 11, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/15/2011 12:55 AM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Tจm Shermขn wrote:
[...
Denmark has the much superior climate 9 months out of the year.

Whatever, dude. I could have stayed in Seattle after almost six years
there. The NW climate was a deal breaker, and the Austin, Texas
climate was the incentive to move back home.

Note the qualifier "9 months out of the year". Danish winters are dark
and damp.

How sad it is to live in a place where your body can never cleanse out
its accumulated grease, varnish, gums, mineral deposits, uncashed
checks, weakly founded superstitions, minced oaths, and termites,
simply because it never gets hot enough to melt these blights
away!

Why in the world would Scandinavians have their sauna if not for a
deep primal longing to be Texans? Answer me that.
[...]

Saunas are rare in Denmark - they are more a Finnish and Swedish thing.

Old July 16th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Jul 15, 8:55Â*pm, "T°m Sherm@n" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 7/15/2011 12:55 AM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote: Tจm Shermขn wrote:
[...
Denmark has the much superior climate 9 months out of the year.

Whatever, dude. Â*I could have stayed in Seattle after almost six years
there. Â*The NW climate was a deal breaker, and the Austin, Texas
climate was the incentive to move back home.

Note the qualifier "9 months out of the year". Â*Danish winters are dark
and damp.

And windy.

If I lived in Texas I'd ride bike at night. I do it here in Miami too.