Externally wired Di2

Old September 12th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Externally wired Di2

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 12:19:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hmm. I have a carbon Ridley frame from 2010 or a bit earlier. And Shimano Di2 7970 on it. No internal wiring on my bike. I used red and white electrical tape wrapped around the frame tubes to hold the Di2 cables. Black Di2 cables. Big gray external battery below the water bottle on the downtube. All looks fine to me Probably the biggest looks error is the unused cable holders for the shifters at the top of the downtube. Di2 doesn't use those and you can't just take them off unfortunately.

By the way -
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop...188203638.html This guy has been trying to get rid of this stuff for many months and I'd be willing to be he would take $100 bucks for it. Also, I have a 7970 wiring harness that no one seems to want so it you want it it's yours. And thirdly, if CCC doesn't find another team sponsor, they will have another fire sale. You have to BE there to get anything and pay cash so it they do and you need something you could let me know, they had a whole collection of the 7970's which were early 10 speeds weren't they? And I could get those dirt cheap since no one is buying them. Front and rear derailleurs in particular are hard to come by for any reasonable prices..
Old September 12th 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 7:03:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The only problems with external wiring I had was wire length which has to be pretty close so that you don't have excessive loops in the under bottom bracket terminal block.

I have several extra inches of cable looped around my under bottom bracket terminal block. It doesn't cause any problems at all. I had completely forgotten it was even there until you wrote about it. That's how insignificant and unseen it is
Old September 12th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 5:20:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 7:03:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The only problems with external wiring I had was wire length which has to be pretty close so that you don't have excessive loops in the under bottom bracket terminal block.

I have several extra inches of cable looped around my under bottom bracket terminal block. It doesn't cause any problems at all. I had completely forgotten it was even there until you wrote about it. That's how insignificant and unseen it is

If it were a serious issue, one could either buy a shorter wire or cut and shrink wrap the existing, overlength wire. It's a simple two wire solder job. Hide it under the contrasting color electrical tape or some indoor-outdoor carpet.

In fact, you could be bold -- just use the ends and get some flamboyant colored wire for the run. https://1xtechnologies.com/wp-conten...d-wire-opt.png

If I were building an externally wired Di2 set up and wanted exact measurements prior to ordering, I'd run strings around and measure those -- or skip the whole thing and use cables.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 12th 20, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2020 1:13 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 7:21:10 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Frankly, if I had a frame that did not allow for internal wiring, I'd run cable rather than making my bike look like some Radio Shack project. Why bother -- cables work fine, although I like that little whirr-whine of Di2.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well, the great engineering skills of a lawyer shows up.

:-) Let's look back and see who has posted the greatest number of
questions and complaints about not being able to figure out his Di2
installation.

Then let's look back and see who has posted the greatest number of
questions and complaints about not being able to figure out his bottom
bracket problems.

Then let's look back and see who has posted the greatest number of
complaints about his discount carbon fiber rims and his tubeless tires...

How odd that it's always a guy who brags about his world-class
engineering skills!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wired to Win Cathy Kearns Racing 15 March 7th 06 05:04 PM
Wired to Win warrwych Australia 3 February 10th 06 09:09 AM
Wired article Euan Australia 0 October 19th 05 12:50 PM
Do you own a wired or wireless cyclometer? jes.sandiegoca General 18 July 30th 05 02:26 PM
99 Sunglasses - wired. Badger_South General 16 October 26th 04 05:05 PM