A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fires and smoke



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 8th 20, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,389
Default Fires and smoke

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 23:09:22 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

How well would a decent gas mask work?
Cheers


I don't know. I have an old gas mask with a screw in filter canister
that expired perhaps 30 years ago. I'm not thrilled with the prospect
of breathing fumes from whatever bugs and spiders have been living
inside the canister all those years. Also, no photos for a while
because I'm busy replacing my failing home machine to a better and
faster computah. The gas mask is something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Mask-Straw-Specifications-Filter/dp/B089JMCTCS

I suppose with a proper filter, a gas mask would work quite well. The
catch is that while the shelf life of the filters is 10-20 years, once
the air seal is broken on the filter canister, I believe that the
filter is only good for perhaps one day. It might be better to find a
full face respirator as used by fire fighters, will certainly be
suitable for smoke and combustion byproducts.




--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Ads
  #12  
Old September 8th 20, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,389
Default Fires and smoke

On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 00:30:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

The
catch is that while the shelf life of the filters is 10-20 years, once
the air seal is broken on the filter canister, I believe that the
filter is only good for perhaps one day.


https://surviveafterend.com/how-long-does-a-gas-mask-filter-last/
8 hrs after the seal is broken.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #13  
Old September 8th 20, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 547
Default Fires and smoke

On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 00:30:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 23:09:22 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

How well would a decent gas mask work?
Cheers


I don't know. I have an old gas mask with a screw in filter canister
that expired perhaps 30 years ago. I'm not thrilled with the prospect
of breathing fumes from whatever bugs and spiders have been living
inside the canister all those years. Also, no photos for a while
because I'm busy replacing my failing home machine to a better and
faster computah. The gas mask is something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Mask-Straw-Specifications-Filter/dp/B089JMCTCS

I suppose with a proper filter, a gas mask would work quite well. The
catch is that while the shelf life of the filters is 10-20 years, once
the air seal is broken on the filter canister, I believe that the
filter is only good for perhaps one day. It might be better to find a
full face respirator as used by fire fighters, will certainly be
suitable for smoke and combustion byproducts.


If your mask has the standard 40 mm filters then you can easily change
them. As for length of service it depends on what is being filtered.
In some cases, filtering Chlorine for example, filter life is measured
in minutes and 3M recommends changing a filter that is opened and not
used after 6 months.

OSHA filters N, P or R designate particulate filters. N series filters
are used for any solid or non-oil-containing particulate, and R and P
series filters are used for any particulate, including aerosols.

According to OSHA, the filter needs to be replaced when:

The user has difficulty breathing comfortably or notices an
increase of breathing resistance resulting from particle buildup.
The filter becomes visibly dirty.
The filter is physically damaged.
--

Cheers,

John B.
  #14  
Old September 8th 20, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,020
Default Fires and smoke

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 03:37:08 UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 00:30:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

The
catch is that while the shelf life of the filters is 10-20 years, once
the air seal is broken on the filter canister, I believe that the
filter is only good for perhaps one day.


https://surviveafterend.com/how-long-does-a-gas-mask-filter-last/
8 hrs after the seal is broken.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558


Interesting.

I have a gas mask that I use often when entering or leaving my apartment building. That's because I'm allergic to marijuana and people often smoke it in this building. It's like drowning when I'm exposed to it. THe gas mask works in that I don't smell it or suffer any of the effects of it. Ditto for cigarette smoke in that I don't smell it at all.

Whatever you end up using, I hope and pray that you stay safe and healthy.

Cheers
  #15  
Old September 8th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,074
Default Fires and smoke

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:34:05 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:16:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and
some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here.


View from GEOS-17 of smoking California on Labor Day afternoon.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/20202511851_GOES17-ABI-psw-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg
Notice how a small area around Santa Cruz county has no smoke, while
everything around it is smoky. The white stuff off the San Diego
coast is fog, not smog.

The smoke can be views after the sun rises. Start at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
Select an area of interest. Then select any size image in the
GeoColor box.

I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging.


Non-surgical face mask helps a little. 3m "dust" mask with P100
filters are better.

Eye drops help.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-care/wildfire-smoke-and-vision/
For the sore throat, I use Hall's cough drops (lemon flavored). What
really bothers me is the mild headache from breathing the CO (carbon
monoxide) mixed with the smoke. My best fix seems to be breathing
some clean air. If desperate, I've taken nitroglycerin or Isosorbide
Mononitrate ER pills, which are prescription vasodilators I take for
improving blood flow. Fortunately, I haven't had any angina symptoms,
just headaches:
https://health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/air/smoke_from_fire.htm

I also bought a Winix C535 Air Purifier at Costco for about $120.
Looks like Costco is out of stock, but does have the C545 (with Wi-Fi
controls):
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
It will only clean the air in one 360 sq-ft room at a time. During my
12 day evacuation experience, I had trouble sleeping because of the
smoke and strange smells. The air purifier made it possible to sleep.

It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.


Same with the election. The view beyond November is rather hazy.


A lot of wind, too. 30mph sustained and gusting above 65mph. That's not a lot for the Gorge, but it is significant in-town. Power went out briefly last night, but so far so good. The lunch ride is going to be interesting. Wish I had some of TK's cheap Chinese aero wheels.

-- Jay Beattie.




  #16  
Old September 8th 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 799
Default Fires and smoke

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 8:04:11 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:34:05 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:16:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and
some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here.


View from GEOS-17 of smoking California on Labor Day afternoon.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/20202511851_GOES17-ABI-psw-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg
Notice how a small area around Santa Cruz county has no smoke, while
everything around it is smoky. The white stuff off the San Diego
coast is fog, not smog.

The smoke can be views after the sun rises. Start at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
Select an area of interest. Then select any size image in the
GeoColor box.

I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging.


Non-surgical face mask helps a little. 3m "dust" mask with P100
filters are better.

Eye drops help.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-care/wildfire-smoke-and-vision/
For the sore throat, I use Hall's cough drops (lemon flavored). What
really bothers me is the mild headache from breathing the CO (carbon
monoxide) mixed with the smoke. My best fix seems to be breathing
some clean air. If desperate, I've taken nitroglycerin or Isosorbide
Mononitrate ER pills, which are prescription vasodilators I take for
improving blood flow. Fortunately, I haven't had any angina symptoms,
just headaches:
https://health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/air/smoke_from_fire.htm

I also bought a Winix C535 Air Purifier at Costco for about $120.
Looks like Costco is out of stock, but does have the C545 (with Wi-Fi
controls):
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
It will only clean the air in one 360 sq-ft room at a time. During my
12 day evacuation experience, I had trouble sleeping because of the
smoke and strange smells. The air purifier made it possible to sleep.

It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards..


Same with the election. The view beyond November is rather hazy.

A lot of wind, too. 30mph sustained and gusting above 65mph. That's not a lot for the Gorge, but it is significant in-town. Power went out briefly last night, but so far so good. The lunch ride is going to be interesting. Wish I had some of TK's cheap Chinese aero wheels.

-- Jay Beattie.

Get ONLY the clincher versions with straight pull aero spokes and they are pretty damned good. I don't remember your weight but 28's mount really easily on real clincher rims. DO NOT over-inflate because that will delaminate the rims but that takes 120+ psi and they do not delaminate at 90 psi on the hardest bumps. The roads here are now so bad that 25's at 90 psi ride too hard for my 190 lbs. The 28's not on ride softer but on these bumpy roads they ride faster.
  #17  
Old September 8th 20, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 717
Default Fires and smoke

On 9/7/2020 5:16 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 4:48:45 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 3:25:09 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:28:44 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
We have an Earthquake here yesterday. A 3.4 which means it was a bit noisy for a second.

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday. I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing.

I've been riding the Colnago since I stole the Garmin mount of the Emonda after the plastic cheapo mount broke on the FIRST ride. You absolutely have to have an aluminum mount. Plastic simply cannot stand the strain of the bumps in the roads around here. The replacement for it should come in tomorrow. I also think that in the unbearable heat of today I will try to do 99% of the wiring on the Lemond. I'm still missing one wire but I should have most of them installed and only need to install the lead from the terminal block to the battery when it comes in as well.

One interesting feature is that when I went up and bought parts from Team CCC, the wires which they had for sale were for bar-end controller. This suggests to me that these bikes fall down and break those controllers often enough that they are no longer installed on bar ends but in the side of the downtube. The advertisements for that controller do mention they can be used that way but I haven't seen any up close. But CCC had an entire pile of the "in-bar" wiring and no bar end controllers.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery mount. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Now that I have both the Trek and the Colnago shifting set up like the Dura Ace came (which is different from the manual that Jay published) shifting has become far more automatic and without thinking.
Well, it was still far too hot to work down in the garage today so I will put off the wiring to another day.


Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in. It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a little worn, or its something I hadn't considered. Electronic shifting is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

Next I need to clean the Norco gravel bike, and then my commuter which is abandoned in a corner.

-- Jay Beattie.


And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here. I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging. It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

-- Jay Beattie.


Much the same ~50 miles south of you. My wife says "there's a little bit
of ash falling" outside.

For decades in Oregon, I came to understand that there were "gray" (sky)
months and blue months. Recently the annual pattern seems to include a
"brown" month. Ick.

Mark J.
  #18  
Old September 8th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,074
Default Fires and smoke

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 9:22:28 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 8:04:11 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:34:05 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:16:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and
some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here.

View from GEOS-17 of smoking California on Labor Day afternoon.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/20202511851_GOES17-ABI-psw-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg
Notice how a small area around Santa Cruz county has no smoke, while
everything around it is smoky. The white stuff off the San Diego
coast is fog, not smog.

The smoke can be views after the sun rises. Start at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
Select an area of interest. Then select any size image in the
GeoColor box.

I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging.

Non-surgical face mask helps a little. 3m "dust" mask with P100
filters are better.

Eye drops help.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-care/wildfire-smoke-and-vision/
For the sore throat, I use Hall's cough drops (lemon flavored). What
really bothers me is the mild headache from breathing the CO (carbon
monoxide) mixed with the smoke. My best fix seems to be breathing
some clean air. If desperate, I've taken nitroglycerin or Isosorbide
Mononitrate ER pills, which are prescription vasodilators I take for
improving blood flow. Fortunately, I haven't had any angina symptoms,
just headaches:
https://health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/air/smoke_from_fire.htm

I also bought a Winix C535 Air Purifier at Costco for about $120.
Looks like Costco is out of stock, but does have the C545 (with Wi-Fi
controls):
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
It will only clean the air in one 360 sq-ft room at a time. During my
12 day evacuation experience, I had trouble sleeping because of the
smoke and strange smells. The air purifier made it possible to sleep.

It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

Same with the election. The view beyond November is rather hazy.

A lot of wind, too. 30mph sustained and gusting above 65mph. That's not a lot for the Gorge, but it is significant in-town. Power went out briefly last night, but so far so good. The lunch ride is going to be interesting. Wish I had some of TK's cheap Chinese aero wheels.

-- Jay Beattie.

Get ONLY the clincher versions with straight pull aero spokes and they are pretty damned good. I don't remember your weight but 28's mount really easily on real clincher rims. DO NOT over-inflate because that will delaminate the rims but that takes 120+ psi and they do not delaminate at 90 psi on the hardest bumps. The roads here are now so bad that 25's at 90 psi ride too hard for my 190 lbs. The 28's not on ride softer but on these bumpy roads they ride faster.


Just kidding about the aero wheels. In this wind, I'd get blown over. If I crack my home-office window, it sounds like screaming cats with a subwoofer -- and I get the smoldering camp fire smell. Very atmospheric. At least my house doesn't sway like my office tower. Big wind days could make me sea-sick.

-- Jay Beattie.



  #19  
Old September 9th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,389
Default Fires and smoke

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I have a gas mask that I use often when entering or
leaving my apartment building. That's because I'm
allergic to marijuana and people often smoke it in
this building. It's like drowning when I'm exposed
to it. THe gas mask works in that I don't smell it
or suffer any of the effects of it. Ditto for
cigarette smoke in that I don't smell it at all.


Well, at least you have a solution. Weed smoke is mostly dust size
particles.
"Particle size distribution of mainstream tobacco and marijuana smoke"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2751166/
0.3 to 0.5 micron. That's in the range where an N95 face mask will
trap such particles (0.3 microns or larger). I would guess your gas
mask/respirator might be the same or better. The catch is it should
eventually become clogged with marijuana particles and other debris
aerosols.

Whatever you end up using, I hope and pray that you stay safe and healthy.


Thanks. Things were bad enough with the brush fires for the past 3
weeks. The fire near me:
https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/16/czu-lightning-complex-including-warnella-fire/
is now 83% contained. That was deemeed sufficient for the bulk of the
fire fighters and equipment to leave for other fires. The wind picked
up in northern California, which started a number of new fires. This
is not going to be easy. See that satellite photos at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector.php?sat=G17&sector=psw
Click on any size image under "GeoColor" during California daylight
hours.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #20  
Old September 9th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,114
Default Fires and smoke

On 9/9/2020 5:39 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I have a gas mask that I use often when entering or
leaving my apartment building. That's because I'm
allergic to marijuana and people often smoke it in
this building. It's like drowning when I'm exposed
to it. THe gas mask works in that I don't smell it
or suffer any of the effects of it. Ditto for
cigarette smoke in that I don't smell it at all.


Well, at least you have a solution. Weed smoke is mostly dust size
particles.
"Particle size distribution of mainstream tobacco and marijuana smoke"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2751166/
0.3 to 0.5 micron. That's in the range where an N95 face mask will
trap such particles (0.3 microns or larger). I would guess your gas
mask/respirator might be the same or better. The catch is it should
eventually become clogged with marijuana particles and other debris
aerosols.

Whatever you end up using, I hope and pray that you stay safe and healthy.


Thanks. Things were bad enough with the brush fires for the past 3
weeks. The fire near me:
https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/16/czu-lightning-complex-including-warnella-fire/
is now 83% contained. That was deemeed sufficient for the bulk of the
fire fighters and equipment to leave for other fires. The wind picked
up in northern California, which started a number of new fires. This
is not going to be easy. See that satellite photos at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector.php?sat=G17&sector=psw
Click on any size image under "GeoColor" during California daylight
hours.



Someone sent me this an hour ago:

https://news.immitate.com/2020/09/09...-video-kgo-tv/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
California fires raisethe UK 4 October 28th 07 04:34 PM
California fires [email protected] Australia 0 October 25th 07 09:38 PM
Fires around Bright Walrus Australia 17 December 14th 06 08:14 AM
Fires near my house again! Sierraman Racing 8 September 6th 04 08:17 PM
After the fires - a RR Michael Paul Mountain Biking 9 November 11th 03 04:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.