MTB low pressure and pinch flats

Old May 15th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default MTB low pressure and pinch flats

http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

--
JS
Old May 17th 17, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

I thought this might be interesting to some people, enough for them to
pass comment.

Perhaps not, or it got lost in the noise about 14 year old record and
Shimano Headsets?

Old May 17th 17, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

No I read it :-) And, yes it looks like insulation lagging used on
air-con systems. Maybe it is :-)

They have made an anti flat foam for years that you can inject into
tires and I always thought that might be a way to avoid flats, if that
worried one. They also make some sort of stuff I believe that they
call "slime" that you inject into the inner tube that is supposed to
plug leaks.

(or just carry spare tubes :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 17th 17, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

It didn't seem different enough from a dozen similar attempts over the
years. It looks like yet another example of bicycle-related re-invention.

Plus I rarely ride the mountain bike these days.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 18th 17, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

It didn't seem different enough from a dozen similar attempts over the
years. It looks like yet another example of bicycle-related re-invention.

Plus I rarely ride the mountain bike these days.

I've got a mountain bike frame that I use as a utility bike. I removed
the front forks and replaced them with a solid fork and added drop
bars as I find them more comfortable. The most noticeable difference
is that the 1.5 inch tires don't seem to lose pressure as quickly as a
road bile with 23mm tires.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 18th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

It didn't seem different enough from a dozen similar attempts over the
years. It looks like yet another example of bicycle-related re-invention.

Plus I rarely ride the mountain bike these days.

I've got a mountain bike frame that I use as a utility bike. I removed
the front forks and replaced them with a solid fork and added drop
bars as I find them more comfortable. The most noticeable difference
is that the 1.5 inch tires don't seem to lose pressure as quickly as a
road bile with 23mm tires.

Not surprising, given the lower pressure and greater volume.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 18th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

It didn't seem different enough from a dozen similar attempts over the
years. It looks like yet another example of bicycle-related re-invention.

Plus I rarely ride the mountain bike these days.

I've got a mountain bike frame that I use as a utility bike. I removed
the front forks and replaced them with a solid fork and added drop
bars as I find them more comfortable. The most noticeable difference
is that the 1.5 inch tires don't seem to lose pressure as quickly as a
road bile with 23mm tires.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I've converted a number of older rigid frame/forks MTB to drop bar and bar end shifteres. They make fantastic touring bikes and tires for them can be bought almost anywhere.

A lot of people like them for riding on dirt roads or roads with big cracks and potholed pavement.

With brifters a drop bar MTB is the cat's meow.

Cheers
Old May 18th 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

http://www.yellowjersey.org/3rmt.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 19th 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 15/05/17 13:19, James wrote:
[...]

I wonder, after you changed the original telescoping front fork to
solid and add drop bars and brifters, can it still be called a "MTB"
:-?

An aside. The utility bile is all aluminum, frame and forks, and still
weighs more then my all steel road bike :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 19th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-14 20:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

I have tried a lot of stuff and IMO the only method to avoid flats on
the MTB is a sturdy tire, tire liner with a old tube slid over it plus a
tube with 0.160" or 4mm wall thickness, and running at nearly max
allowed pressure (I run them 50psi). All of that. No flats in years and
I ride hard. I had the occasional hard blow-out but that's got nothing
to do with punctures. That is when a tire fails in a more spectacular
way with pieces of it flying off. Happens maybe once a year so not bad,
and usually after I hit something the wrong way.

With that setup I can bomb down rocky sections like I did yesterday and
not worry about becoming stranded with an unfixable gash in the tire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

pinch flats 180 degrees out of phase meb[_58_] Techniques 2 February 5th 08 07:11 PM
Slime and pinch flats [email protected] UK 5 December 14th 07 12:46 PM
Are the new KH drilled rims more susceptible to pinch flats? unicyclistjoe Unicycling 9 October 26th 06 06:41 AM
pinch flats gds General 14 October 10th 05 04:46 PM
27 vs. 700 pinch flats meb Techniques 1 May 8th 05 06:53 PM