14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

Old May 11th 17, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Wed, 10 May 2017 20:13:56 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/10/2017 7:59 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 07:28:24 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

One thing that I learned early on in bicycling was that offroad just
about anything will vibrate loose. Another bike rider who ventured into
the woods back then told me to slightly over-torque every connection.
That did the trick but does not work for a headset.

One thing that DOES work is the light or medium Loc Tite. Not the
stuff you need a torch to release. A drop on every part that might
otherwise ahake loos will even keep an old BSA or Norton from shedding
parts.

I'm a big believer in Loctite. Jobst wasn't, but I never understood why.

Probably as in most cases it isn't necessary. At least I find that on
a bicycle simply tightening the fastener properly normally prevents
loosening. Example: I've never had a head set come loose. I've never
had a seat post clamp bolt come loose, I've never had a derailer mount
bolt come loose....

Not that one shouldn't use loctite but it probably isn't needed in
many cases.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-05-10 17:13, Frank Krygowski wrote:
wrote:

One thing that I learned early on in bicycling was that offroad just
about anything will vibrate loose. Another bike rider who ventured
into
the woods back then told me to slightly over-torque every connection.
That did the trick but does not work for a headset.

One thing that DOES work is the light or medium Loc Tite. Not the
stuff you need a torch to release. A drop on every part that might
otherwise ahake loos will even keep an old BSA or Norton from shedding
parts.

I'm a big believer in Loctite. Jobst wasn't, but I never understood
why.

Maybe because he was of German ancestry? Now that Loctite is owned by
Henkel that might be different :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Racist.

Right.
Will no one speak for the guy in Canada who invented it?

Non-Canadians aren't motivated to do that, and all Canadians are too
polite to brag.

(It's not racist to say that, because Canadianism isn't a race. Right?)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 17, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

One thing that I learned early on in bicycling was that offroad just
about anything will vibrate loose. Another bike rider who ventured into
the woods back then told me to slightly over-torque every connection.
That did the trick but does not work for a headset.

One thing that DOES work is the light or medium Loc Tite. Not the
stuff you need a torch to release. A drop on every part that might
otherwise ahake loos will even keep an old BSA or Norton from shedding
parts.

I'm a big believer in Loctite. Jobst wasn't, but I never understood why.

Probably as in most cases it isn't necessary.

As I recall, Jobst went further, saying something like "There is no
appropriate use for Loctite on a bicycle."

My fender and rack mounts staunchly disagree.

Jobst would rather drill and safety wire everything like on
aircraft, and tear his skin to shreds on the protruding wire ends???
Or did he actually approve of "prevailing torque" nuts - like
Nylocks???
Old May 11th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/11/2017 4:00 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 9:27:29 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2017 10:56 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 20:13:56 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

wrote:

One thing that I learned early on in bicycling was that offroad just
about anything will vibrate loose. Another bike rider who ventured into
the woods back then told me to slightly over-torque every connection.
That did the trick but does not work for a headset.

One thing that DOES work is the light or medium Loc Tite. Not the
stuff you need a torch to release. A drop on every part that might
otherwise ahake loos will even keep an old BSA or Norton from shedding
parts.

I'm a big believer in Loctite. Jobst wasn't, but I never understood why.

Probably as in most cases it isn't necessary.

As I recall, Jobst went further, saying something like "There is no
appropriate use for Loctite on a bicycle."

My fender and rack mounts staunchly disagree.

Was Jobst still around when Locktite Blue came out?

Loctite blue has been around for decades, so yes, he was certainly still
around. I believe he simply thought that if fasteners were tightened
correctly, no locking compound was necessary.

But IIRC, his bikes were rather naked. No fenders, no racks, only one
water bottle cage, no headlight, no dynamo. There really wasn't much to
come loose.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 1:29:15 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/11/2017 4:00 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 9:27:29 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2017 10:56 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 20:13:56 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

With my foul memory I can't be sure but I believe that Jobst lived around here but I don't think I ever met him.