Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

Old May 17th 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

On 5/17/2017 6:17 AM, DougC wrote:
On 5/10/2017 9:56 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/10/2017 5:44 PM, DougC wrote:

snip

I can make mounts too but don't really wanna.

Yeah, I make mounts. Not because I really wanna, but because I can make
mounts that are a lot better than what is commercially available. I use
the Maglite Delrin clamps on a piece of aluminum flat bar mounted to an
aluminum or steel clamp for the bars.

Well it looks like I'll be making mounts after all.
The most-capable-looking ones on Amazon don't look like they're going to
do too well here.

While I am careful with flimsy plastic stuff, I know that my wife and
children are probably more of the "if it jams force it, if it breaks it
needed replacing anyway" mindset.

Many bicycle accessories are not of a robust design, and flop around,
fall off, come loose, are not adjustable, etc. Additionally, for a
light, you not only want something that's secure, but where it is easy
to remove the light when you park the bicycle out of your sight, without
straps to undo or rubber bands to lose. It the handlebars are angled or
curved you also need to take that into account so the light can be
properly aimed.

Even on handlebar or tubing mount accessories with a steel or aluminum
clamp, they will usually use rubber spacers that don't stay in place
well. I put heat shrink tubing over these clamps since it does stay in
place, and you just add layers to get the necessary thickness.
Threadlock is also your friend.
Old May 17th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/16/2017 2:38 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I've been conducting something of an experiment to see just how bad
Chinese 18650 cells are.

Have you seen
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?117117-Li-Ion-Battery-Shoot-Out

LG 2400 mAH tested at 2243mAH
Tenergy 2200 mAH tested at 2163mAH
Samsung 2800 mAH tested at 2524mAH

And this http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42488 where at 1C the
Tenergy 2600 mAH tested at 2532 mAH

They didn't test the Tenergy 2600 that Fry's often has on sale for
$4.99, but I suspect that since the Tenergy 2200 was very close to its
rated capacity that their 2600 will be close as well.

But even that's not much of a deal since you can buy LG or
Sanyo/Panasonic 3500 mAH, button-top, protected 18650 cells for less
than $8.

https://liionwholesale.com/products/protected-lg-mj1-18650-battery-genuine-tested-10a-3500mah-button-top-wholesale-discount?variant=12530399684
https://liionwholesale.com/products/protected-panasonic-sanyo-ncr18650ga-button-top?variant=12534255236

That's 12.6WH in a single 18650 cell for $8. Four Eneloop 2550mAH NiMH
cells would be 12.2WH and cost $18.75
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL28.

The other big advantage of the 18650 based lights is that you can
usually charge them inside the light with a USB cable and USB charger,
you don't need to take out two or three or four individual cells and
futz with an external charger. Or for those long distance tourers you
could charge if from a dynamo (though most of the Li-Ion based lights
with internal chargers don't let you charge it while it's on).

There's a good reason why light manufacturers abandoned AA powered
lights and a good reason why camera manufacturers abandoned AA powered
cameras; ditto for cell phones.

Old May 17th 17, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/17/2017 8:05 AM, sms wrote:

And this http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42488 where at 1C the
Tenergy 2600 mAH tested at 2532 mAH

oops. forgot to delete this, they did test it)

Old May 17th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

18650 cells are Lion's answer to NiMH ?
Old May 17th 17, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/17/2017 9:17 AM, DougC wrote:
On 5/10/2017 9:56 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/10/2017 5:44 PM, DougC wrote:

snip

I can make mounts too but don't really wanna.

Yeah, I make mounts. Not because I really wanna, but because I can make
mounts that are a lot better than what is commercially available. I use
the Maglite Delrin clamps on a piece of aluminum flat bar mounted to an
aluminum or steel clamp for the bars.

Well it looks like I'll be making mounts after all.
The most-capable-looking ones on Amazon don't look like they're going to
do too well here.

Some of us will be interested in what you come up with, if you care to
share.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 17th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 17 May 2017 08:17:42 -0500, DougC
wrote:

On 5/10/2017 9:56 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/10/2017 5:44 PM, DougC wrote:

snip

I can make mounts too but don't really wanna.

Yeah, I make mounts. Not because I really wanna, but because I can make
mounts that are a lot better than what is commercially available. I use
the Maglite Delrin clamps on a piece of aluminum flat bar mounted to an
aluminum or steel clamp for the bars.

Well it looks like I'll be making mounts after all.
The most-capable-looking ones on Amazon don't look like they're going to
do too well here.

Try this Google image search to see what's available in aluminum:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=+aluminum+bicycle+handlebar+head light+clamps
I don't think plastic is strong enough unless you reinforce it with
metal inserts. If it can be tightened by hand, it can be done better
with a tool. That leaves aluminum clamps, which methinks will work
the best.

One possible problem is the rubber cushion often inserted between the
clamp and the handlebar. Often, it's rather thick to deal with the
difference between 25.4, 26.0, and 31.8mm diameter bars. With a thick
rubber shim, you'll never get it tight enough to keep it in place and
not vibrate. Therefore cut the aluminum clamp for the correct size
handlebars and use a minimally thin sheet of rubber or plastic.

Another purpose of the rubber shim is to prevent the clamp from
gouging the handlebar. This is a typical case of the design causing a
problem that is somewhat fixed with a rubber band-aid. For example,
the teeth in this crude abomination:
https://img.banggood.com/thumb/water/oaupload/banggood/images/6A/5A/6c3c7474-dbda-4588-9aa3-d5783d8df954.jpg
are guaranteed to gouge your handlebars, no matter what you use for a
rubber shim. It will rotate, because the entire contact area is in
the tips of the serrations. To get a good grip, they should have
designed for more surface area, which means no teeth. Teeth work only
if the mating surface also has teeth or matching serrations, such as
in a stem to handlebar clamp. For mating with the flat surface of a
handlebar, you want another flat surface.

Some random ideas:
1. Make the clamp symmetrical so that you can simultaneously mount
something both on top and on the bottom of the clamp assembly.
2. If you're going to remove and reinstall the clamp often, don't
thread the aluminum. Use steel PEM inserts instead, which should last
longer.
3. If you want security, design it to be either very easy to be
removed, or a nightmare of exotic and inaccessible screws.
http://atomic22.com
https://www.bicyclebolts.com
4. Test the clamps grip with a simple torque tester to see if it
meets your expectations. Attach a stiff arm and tension scale to the
clamp. Pull and calculate the torque (ft-lbs or Newton-meters) where
the clamp starts to slip. Compare with other clamps.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 17th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 17 May 2017 08:05:51 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/16/2017 2:38 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I've been conducting something of an experiment to see just how bad
Chinese 18650 cells are.

Have you seen
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?117117-Li-Ion-Battery-Shoot-Out

Yes, but it's a rather old. This is much better:
http://www.lygte-info.dk
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php
Please note that the graphs that I used for my tests were at very
different constant current levels. Capacity ratings will be very
different at different current levels. The only reason I haven't
bothered to verify the advertised capacities is that the tests are
done at 0.2C, which could easily take overnight. So, I do my tests at
approximate operating currents, which produce much lower capacity
numbers. This also means that I refuse to accept any capacity ratings
or alleged tests without the test conditions (constant current or
constant load levels) being specified.

And this http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42488 where at 1C the
Tenergy 2600 mAH tested at 2532 mAH

Note that the author runs http://www.lygte-info.dk. More battery
test results:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAIndividualTest%20UK.html

They didn't test the Tenergy 2600 that Fry's often has on sale for
$4.99, but I suspect that since the Tenergy 2200 was very close to its
rated capacity that their 2600 will be close as well.

Very nice and a good price. I overpaid $8/ea for some Panasonic
cells, which I use as my sanity check and test reference.

But even that's not much of a deal since you can buy LG or
Sanyo/Panasonic 3500 mAH, button-top, protected 18650 cells for less
than $8.

https://liionwholesale.com/products/protected-lg-mj1-18650-battery-genuine-tested-10a-3500mah-button-top-wholesale-discount?variant=12530399684
https://liionwholesale.com/products/protected-panasonic-sanyo-ncr18650ga-button-top?variant=12534255236

Yes, but are they real Panasonic and Sanyo? Much of what I see are
obvious and not-so-obvious counterfeits.
https://spinfuel.com/counterfeit-18650-batteries-everywhere/
As I found out the hard way, paying a high price for a "real" cell is
not a guarantee that the cell is genuine.

Old May 17th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 17 May 2017 06:28:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL540RC/
sez the unit accepts NiMH and LIon

Where duz it say that? What I read is:
The CatEye Econom Force uses ROL technology and 4 NiMH
rechargeable AA batteries to provide an efficient, regulated
4000cd light beam.
or from the specs page:
Battery: AA NiMH rechargeable or AA alkaline battery X4
No mention of LiIon.

Hint: You can buy LiIon cells in 14500 size that is exactly the same
size as a AA battery. However, the voltages are radically different.
NiMH = 1.35v
LiIon = 3.7v
If you plug a LiIon cell into a headlight made for NiMH, it will
probably blow up and ruin your day.

4000 cd ? a new unit for me.

Candelas. Measure of brightness and useless for comparing lighting
unless the test conditions (distance, beam angle, or spot area) are
the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candela
http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/light/lumen-to-candela-calculator.htm

Fix your keyboard. The period button seems to be stuck.

however, this is not apparent at the Wal Kiosk. How's Costco ?

Costco sells Eneloop NiMH and Duracell alkaline. I can't find any
Eneloop cells on their web pile but I know they had it in the stores
as of about 2 months ago:
https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=batteries

Old May 17th 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

I've used this one http://www.dx.com/p/447307.

One possible problem is the rubber cushion often inserted between the
clamp and the handlebar. Often, it's rather thick to deal with the
difference between 25.4, 26.0, and 31.8mm diameter bars. With a thick
rubber shim, you'll never get it tight enough to keep it in place and
not vibrate. Therefore cut the aluminum clamp for the correct size
handlebars and use a minimally thin sheet of rubber or plastic.

I SPIT on those rubber shims! Use heat shrink tubing on the clamp.
Old May 18th 17, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS

http://www.bing.com/search?q=energiz...RM=QBLH &sp=3

prob solved.

Lieb for a try buy NiMH n device n drain NiMH n recharge recharge .......

n tell us if the NiMH works.

Hmmmm you did that before right ? previously

care to reiterate ?

even with energizer on board as the last energizer rechargables here were a total floppo.

BTW, all my devices are AA or AAA ....ceptin' the Samsung G5 ....

the truck has a custom Odyssey for engine, 2 spiral Optimas and the replaced Odyssey for aux power. Optimas are recharged with proprietary Ctek chargers.

I guess Ciperman doahn like Cateyes