I've settled on a chain lube

Old May 24th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default I've settled on a chain lube

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.
Old May 24th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 24, 12:22*am, landotter wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

D'you know, I think my lube is cheaper per annum than yours. I
switched over from 3-in-1 sewing machine oil and WD40 in 2003 to White
Lightning Dry Wax and used that happily for six years. I still have
half a 12 Euro bottle left, so I used six bucks' worth, at the rate of
about a buck a year (1). For the last 17 months I have used an even
more economical chain lube called Oil of Rohloff. You put on only a
few drops at a time and that stuff spreads and sticks like the
proverbial to a baby's blanket. A 50ml bottle costs 5 Euro and after
2800km I have used less than sixth of a bottle, say a buck's worth in
17 months. At this rate five bucks of Oil of Rohloff will last me six
years. I carelessly, thinking it was a very small bottle, ordered
three spare bottles as well with the bike (one came in the
complimentary welcome kit), so I'll be buying chain lube again in
2033.

Of course, Jobst will now trump all by explaining to us that he last
paid for chain lube in 1939, and has lubed with other people's car
drainage since then.

Andre Jute
"Cycling wisdom" is an oxymoron

(1) The trick is first to buy a fully enclosed chaincase. I used to
lube every 500 klicks or so but recently my chain and the 500km-old
oil on it were so clean, I'm wondering about letting it go to a 1000km
between lubes.
Old May 24th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 23, 6:22*pm, landotter wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

I use Castrol Moly-Dee, every couple of years or so and it seems to do
very well, even in extra rainy years.

Lewis.

*****
Old May 24th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 24, 8:30*am, " wrote:
On May 23, 6:22*pm, landotter wrote:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

I use Castrol Moly-Dee, every couple of years or so and it seems to do
very well, even in extra rainy years.

Mine's actually Castrol ATF, which I bought to try and rehabilitate
some decrepit chains on my neighbor's menagerie. It's just 5W oil with
a bunch of additives and detergents. Just the thing for an unstretched
chain with 20 years of garage corrosion.
Old May 24th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On May 23, 5:22*pm, landotter wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

Love it. Time to start marketing!
Old May 24th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On May 23, 6:19*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Now, now...Don't be jealous Andre. Otter has come up with an
outstanding product. No need to claim that yours is better or cheaper.
Otter's oil is better because of the marketing. Who cares what's
inside. I want a bottle of Highwheel lube and I want it now. Yours is
sewing oil and WD40? Pleeeeeaaaaaseeee!
Old May 24th 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

landotter wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

Nice packaging!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old May 24th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 24, 1:16*pm, Mike Elliott
wrote:
landotter wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

Nice packaging!

Best part is that it wears off with use. In a couple weeks I'll draw a
critter on it and label it "Oil of Landotter". That stuff costs double
the Highwheel Lube.
Old May 24th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cam

On May 24, 9:41*am, landotter wrote:
On May 24, 8:30*am, " wrote:

On May 23, 6:22*pm, landotter wrote:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

I use Castrol Moly-Dee, every couple of years or so and it seems to do
very well, even in extra rainy years.

Mine's actually *Castrol ATF, which I bought to try and rehabilitate
some decrepit chains on my neighbor's menagerie. It's just 5W oil with
a bunch of additives and detergents. Just the thing for an unstretched
chain with 20 years of garage corrosion.

I use ATF as well. I'll research better options when my liter runs out
after another 4 years. What the heck, I goop it on and a bottle lasts
me 8 years. The stuff stops my chain from rusting and squeaking. ATF
WTF HAND BBQ.

Cam
Old May 25th 10, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ernestolube.com

On May 23, 6:22*pm, landotter wrote:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...ffc1760c_o.jpg

It's about as boutique as I can afford.

That is very boutique unique, just like Ernesto Lube.

what chain lube to use? bdbafh Techniques 0 May 8th 08 05:22 PM
wax chain lube ilaboo[_2_] General 6 December 18th 07 09:53 AM
Best chain lube? Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 32 December 6th 07 09:27 PM
chain lube? AP UK 51 January 9th 07 12:07 PM
Chain lube Jim Techniques 12 December 4th 04 05:53 PM