Katy Trail Info

Old August 30th 04, 07:59 PM
John Everett

Default Katy Trail Info

I'm planning to ride the Katy Trail from Clinton to St. Charles in
October. The group leader is encouraging the use of mountain bikes. I
don't have pannier racks for my MTB. Would I be in trouble riding a
touring bike with 28mm tires?

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old August 31st 04, 01:37 AM
TBGibb

In article , John Everett
writes:

I'm planning to ride the Katy Trail from Clinton to St. Charles in
October. The group leader is encouraging the use of mountain bikes. I
don't have pannier racks for my MTB. Would I be in trouble riding a
touring bike with 28mm tires?

I've been on the trail with 26X1.5 tires and think you would have no trouble at
all. My wife and I are planning to do the same direction and distance this
October with camping gear on the same tires.

Tom Gibb
Old August 31st 04, 04:48 AM
Mike Kruger

"John Everett" wrote in message
I'm planning to ride the Katy Trail from Clinton to St. Charles in
October. The group leader is encouraging the use of mountain bikes. I
don't have pannier racks for my MTB. Would I be in trouble riding a
touring bike with 28mm tires?

I'm only familiar with N. Jeff City to St. Charles. Most of that riding
has been on 1.25 inch road tires (old 27 inch wheels), which should be
equivalent. If it rains, you will find it slow going; otherwise you will be
fine.

Old August 31st 04, 07:30 PM
Ray.Net

John Everett wrote:
ride the Katy Trail
riding a touring bike with 28mm tires?

John, I've been recommending that anything 25mm or wider is acceptible
for the Katy Trail, and no one has yet told me that they disagreed
(though I'd love to hear any feedback). Here's the full text from
http://www.bikekatytrail.com/faq.asp#tires

-----
What's the best kind of bike tire for the trail?
In general, wider tires are better. If you're riding a mountain bike,
hybrid, or comfort bike, your tires are fine. But the Katy is
definitely suitable for road bikes, and I see plenty of them out
there. The crushed limestone packs down hard and gives you a surface
nearly as solid as asphalt, unless it's been raining a lot. But there
are a few places where it's not packed as hard, or where the trail
crosses gravel roads, that could be a little rough on road bikes.

Most of what I've heard from road bikers is that any tire 25mm or
wider is fine for the Katy Trail. I've seen some riders say they did
fine with 23, but most suggest 25 or wider. For best results, go with
the widest cross-tread tire your rims can handle.
----

There's also a link to this discussion of tires on the Katy Trail:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-47455

Have a great ride!

Ray Scott
Explore the Katy Trail at www.BikeKatyTrail.com
Old August 31st 04, 09:33 PM
Stuart Black

John Everett wrote in message . ..
I'm planning to ride the Katy Trail from Clinton to St. Charles in
October. The group leader is encouraging the use of mountain bikes. I
don't have pannier racks for my MTB. Would I be in trouble riding a
touring bike with 28mm tires?

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

I did the Katy from Boonville to St. Charles last year on a Cannondale
T800 with 35mm tires and a full touring load. The trail has a good
hard surface. Your 28mm tires should work just fine. Before I got to
the trail people told me that I wouldn't want to ride it after rain,
but I never found the surface to be that soft, even after a night of
downpour.

A great ride! Watch out for turtles in the shadows near Weldon
Springs, however. If you hit one, it's not good for the turtle or
you.

Stuart Black

Uwharrie Trail Care Day May 15 Central NC Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 28th 04 06:33 PM
Trail Care Day Uwharrie Woodrun Trail System ... Central, NC (Supertree and Keyauwee) Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 13th 04 05:55 PM
Katy trail ride report TBGibb Rides 4 October 16th 03 08:01 PM
RR Guelph Hiking Trail - Very Long Robert Schultz Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 05:12 AM