WTB: Shimano Dura Ace or 600 Uniglide 8 spd. cassette

Old July 28th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
LawBoy01

Default WTB: Shimano Dura Ace or 600 Uniglide 8 spd. cassette

I need to purchase an 8 spd Dura Ace or 600 Uniglide cassette for a
project that I've started. The last cog must be threaded, unlike a
Hyperglide cassette.

I have a 7 spd Uniglide (Dura Ace) cassette that's NIP to offer in
trade, but I'll buy whatever 8 spd Uniglide cassette that's in good
condition.

Thanks!
Old July 29th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
P. Chisholm

On Jul 28, 7:56*am, LawBoy01 wrote:
I need to purchase an 8 spd Dura Ace or 600 Uniglide cassette for a
project that I've started. *The last cog must be threaded, unlike a
Hyperglide cassette.

I have a 7 spd Uniglide (Dura Ace) cassette that's NIP to offer in
trade, but I'll buy whatever 8 spd Uniglide cassette that's in good
condition.

Thanks!

Did they ever make 8s in uniglide? Thought that when they went to 8s
they also went to hyperglide..Ibut I'm better at campagnolo than
shimano.
Old July 29th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"P. Chisholm" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 7:56 am, LawBoy01 wrote:

Did they ever make 8s in uniglide? Thought that when they went to 8s
they also went to hyperglide..Ibut I'm better at campagnolo than
shimano.

You are correct. 7-speed were the last uniglide.

Old July 29th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
P. Chisholm

On Jul 29, 7:44*am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"P. Chisholm" wrote in message

On Jul 28, 7:56 am, LawBoy01 wrote:

Did they ever make 8s in uniglide? Thought that when they went to 8s
they also went to hyperglide..Ibut I'm better at campagnolo than
shimano.

You are correct. 7-speed were the last uniglide.

thanks, that's what i thought.
Old August 4th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
LawBoy01

Tom and Peter:

You are both incorrect. In 1989 only, Shimano produced an 8 spd
Uniglide hub. I just purchased the wheels with the hubs I'm talking
about. Go see them there under my moniker, LawBoy01. Also check up
on Sheldon Brown's website.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

-Philip W. Moore, Jr.
Old August 4th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
LawBoy01

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Uniglide ®
Through 1989, Shimano cassette sprockets used a "twist-tooth" design,
called "Uniglide." They had 9 identical splines (tabs) that would
slide into matching grooves on the freehub body. Spacer washers would
fit between each pair of sprockets. 5- and 6-speeds used 3.65 mm
spacers, 7-speed generally 3.1 mm, 8-speed 3.0 mm.
The smallest sprocket on a Uniglide cassette was not splined, it was
threaded. The threads of this sprocket would hold everything else
together.

The only functional difference between Dura-Ace and other Shimano
cassettes is that the threaded Uniglide outer sprocket had a different
thread in the Dura-Ace version. This was to permit the use of an 11
tooth sprocket with Uniglide Dura-Ace. Other Uniglide hubs/cassettes
were limited to a 12 tooth minimum sprocket by the larger thread.

All Dura-Ace 6- & 7-speed cassettes were Uniglide style. 8-speed
Unglide cassettes and hubs were made only for the 1989 model year, so
they are quite uncommon.

Old August 4th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
LawBoy01

On Aug 3, 10:39*pm, LawBoy01 wrote:
Tom and Peter:

You are both incorrect. *In 1989 only, Shimano produced an 8 spdUniglidehub. *I just purchased the wheels with the hubs I'm talking
about. *Go see them there under my moniker, LawBoy01. *Also check up
on Sheldon Brown's website.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

-Philip W. Moore, Jr.

Gosh I sounded like a jerk. That wasn't my intention. Peter --
you've sent me some cool C-Record bits over the years and Tom -- you
sent me some rollers that have taught me to pedal smoothly (or else).
Sorry if I came across rudely.
Old August 4th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
P. Chisholm

On Aug 3, 10:44*pm, LawBoy01 wrote:
On Aug 3, 10:39*pm, LawBoy01 wrote:

Tom and Peter:

You are both incorrect. *In 1989 only, Shimano produced an 8 spdUniglidehub. *I just purchased the wheels with the hubs I'm talking
about. *Go see them there under my moniker, LawBoy01. *Also check up
on Sheldon Brown's website.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

-Philip W. Moore, Jr.

Gosh I sounded like a jerk. *That wasn't my intention. *Peter --
you've sent me some cool C-Record bits over the years and Tom -- you
sent me some rollers that have taught me to pedal smoothly (or else).
Sorry if I came across rudely.

Didn't take it that way at all..I think you are reeling from some of
the current rudeness now present on many of these NGs, perhaps, but no
problem from me. Thanks for the info.
Old August 4th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"LawBoy01" wrote in message

Gosh I sounded like a jerk. That wasn't my intention. Peter --
you've sent me some cool C-Record bits over the years and Tom -- you
sent me some rollers that have taught me to pedal smoothly (or else).
Sorry if I came across rudely.

It read to me as if you were trying to inform and not insult. I was unaware
that Shimano made a Uniglide 8-speed and I though I had everything laying
around here.