Specialized Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Tarmac Comp or Pro (road bikes) - owners opinions?

Old November 1st 04, 11:04 AM
Yuri Budilov

Default Specialized Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Tarmac Comp or Pro (road bikes) - owners opinions?

Hello

I would like to hear opinions of owners (or test riders) of Specialized
Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Specialized Tarmac (Comp or Pro) road bicycles. I
am looking to buy one of those bikes (2005 model) in a few months time and
also wondering if I should be spending money elsewhere......

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Value for money? Warranty? Reliability? Comfort?

thanks!

Old November 1st 04, 11:50 AM
Francesco Devittori

Yuri Budilov wrote:
Hello

I would like to hear opinions of owners (or test riders) of Specialized
Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Specialized Tarmac (Comp or Pro) road bicycles. I
am looking to buy one of those bikes (2005 model) in a few months time and
also wondering if I should be spending money elsewhere......

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Value for money? Warranty? Reliability? Comfort?

thanks!

It's about the Pro, not Comp or Elite, but better than nothing:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...ed_roubaix_pro
Old November 1st 04, 02:08 PM
Callistus Valerius

I would like to hear opinions of owners (or test riders) of Specialized
Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Specialized Tarmac (Comp or Pro) road bicycles.

am looking to buy one of those bikes (2005 model) in a few months time and
also wondering if I should be spending money elsewhere......

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Value for money? Warranty? Reliability? Comfort?

Have a couple thousand miles on Roubaix 105 alu, and at first the
geometry was a little hard to get use to. Took a while to figure out how
high my seat should be, because of the compact design. Now that I'm getting
use to it, I really like it. But I'm planning to use it for long distance
riding (125 201 miles) about that range. It has a longer wheel base, and
is slower steering, but it is extremely stable, and you can really sit in
for miles on end. Comparing it to a Trek 5200, the Trek takes alot more
attention while riding. One thing that might give you a problem is the tall
head tube. Expect to have your handlebars an inch higher, even with all the
spacers out. Might add a little wind resistance in that area, but it
doesn't seem to bother me too much. The bike will also feel "bigger", don't
ask me why. Someone told me it has the geometry that old tour de france
bikes had years ago, before they turned them all into crit bikes.

Old November 1st 04, 05:17 PM
Johnny

"Yuri Budilov" wrote in
:
I would like to hear opinions of owners (or test riders) of Specialized
Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Specialized Tarmac (Comp or Pro) road
bicycles.

Roubaix is more of a touring bike with an upright riding position. Tarmac is
a pure racing bike with a more aggressive riding position. Take some test
rides and buy the one that fits you best.
Old November 1st 04, 06:05 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I would like to hear opinions of owners (or test riders) of Specialized
Roubaix (Comp or Elite) or Specialized Tarmac (Comp or Pro) road bicycles.
I am looking to buy one of those bikes (2005 model) in a few months time
and also wondering if I should be spending money elsewhere......

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Value for money? Warranty? Reliability? Comfort?

If it's going to be a few months, you'll have some new choices as well- the
Trek "Pilot" series will be out by then. Similar approach in terms of a
higher handlebar position, different approach in terms of how they damp buzz
(Specialized applies stuff to the outside of the tubes to damp road buzz,
while the Trek will have tubes with extra buzz-damping qualities built into
them).

Haven't ridden one yet so can't tell you how it feels. Best "comfort"
performance road bike I've ridden to date is the new Klein Reve. That was a
real eye-opener; perhaps it *is* possible to have a bike that climbs great
and kills the bumps. If only they'd put that technology into a carbon frame,
I think you'd have the ultimate Paris Roubaix bike.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 2nd 04, 01:36 AM
Yuri Budilov

Thank you to all who have replied!

I am looking to try the all-carbon 2005 Roubaix Elite so I am hoping for a
very comfortable ride. The up-right position is something I find attractive
anyhow. But I also really like the look of 2005 Tarmac Comp (also all
carbon) which seems to have the *same price* as 2005 Roubaix Elite. It will
be hard to decide between these two bikes given they are basically the same
price and even group-set and wheels appear to be the same. Must be the frame
choice....

Cheers all

link.net...

Old November 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
Bob Anderson

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:05:41 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

If it's going to be a few months, you'll have some new choices as well- the
Trek "Pilot" series will be out by then

I really want to test ride a Trek Pilot, looks good in the
catalog.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon
Old November 2nd 04, 03:52 AM
remove the polite word to reply

I believe I test rode the Aluminum and the Pro, and for me the
shallower
head tube angle on the Pro was more comfortable.

I like to stand up and climb hills and lean quite a bit forward when I
do and the
72 vs 73 felt more stable to me.

I think the head tube angle may be one of those things where they
shift it o 73 or more and it's not best for a lot of people but a lot
of ppl don't know because there's hardly anything else on the market
anymore.
Old November 2nd 04, 12:45 PM
Callistus Valerius

I believe I test rode the Aluminum and the Pro, and for me the
shallower
head tube angle on the Pro was more comfortable.

I like to stand up and climb hills and lean quite a bit forward when I
do and the
72 vs 73 felt more stable to me.

I think the head tube angle may be one of those things where they
shift it o 73 or more and it's not best for a lot of people but a lot
of ppl don't know because there's hardly anything else on the market
anymore.

I've got an '04, but you're saying the carbon version head tube is more
shallow than the alu version? I think mine was a 72 also. Makes steep
descents not as hairy, being more upright, with the shallow head tube angle.
It does take some getting use to. I didn't like the wheels my Roubaix 105
alu came with. I put my wagon wheel rolf wheels on it, and it really
started sailing. The other wheels seemed sluggish to me, don't know why.

Old November 2nd 04, 11:40 PM
Matt O'Toole

Alan Acock wrote:

The Trek 2300 coming out next February? looks like a copy of the Klein
Reve. I wonder how they will compare to each other and to the all
carbon fiber bikes like the Pilot and the Roubaux. I HATE chip seal
and need a solution to road buzz.

Fatter tires! Seriously...

Matt O.