Muni trail equipment

Old January 24th 05, 10:52 PM
johnfoss

john_childs wrote:
*Was that with the 29er? *

Yup. Nanoraptor tire. I don't think I was riding too aggressive or
anything, but sometimes these things can just happen. I was going down a
litle rocky patch, and hopped over a gap and probably hit the landing
point on the edge of some rock. BANG!! It sounded like a gunshot.
Probably scared away all the wildlife within a quarter mile.

Could the tire have been seated improperly? I don't think so, maybe
slightly. But I would otherwise notice if the tire had a lump in it as
it went around. I usually check the bead fit when I install a tire, but
I admit on this cycle I've had to go back and forth a lot between road
and dirt tires.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old January 25th 05, 02:05 AM
jim.furfaro

Thanks for everyones input.

Jim F.

--
jim.furfaro
jim.furfaro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7261

Old January 25th 05, 02:14 AM
Catboy

I carry:
3 liters of water(or less depending on distance)
A set of spoke wrenches
Set of metric wrenches(for saddle, and frame)
Allen wrenches(hub, seat clamp)
Patch Kit
Tube
First Aid(military issue)
Snacks 'n' junk
CO2 pump
Ipod or Rio(music is a must for lone rides)
Camera(never know when youll need one)
Wallet with: ID, Rights, 20 bucks

However, if I am on a shorter ride, I take out all of the
unlikely-to-use items.

Having a small, or larger first aid kit is a good idea. I will never
forget the day I had to ride 2 miles after a rock gouged a 3/4 inch hole
in my elbow.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

RIP Unibiker

Old January 25th 05, 02:38 AM
UniBrier

'Don't forget your TP and Naugahyde Barcalounger.'
(http://tinyurl.com/4jz9j)

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve

Do your feet smell? Does you nose run?...You may be built upside down.
-Old joke I found in a Mad Magazine many moons ago.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old January 25th 05, 03:05 AM
tholub

johnfoss wrote:
*Yup. Nanoraptor tire. I don't think I was riding too aggressive or
anything, but sometimes these things can just happen. I was going down
a litle rocky patch, and hopped over a gap and probably hit the
landing point on the edge of some rock. BANG!! It sounded like a
gunshot. Probably scared away all the wildlife within a quarter
mile.

Could the tire have been seated improperly? I don't think so, maybe
slightly. But I would otherwise notice if the tire had a lump in it as
it went around. I usually check the bead fit when I install a tire,
but I admit on this cycle I've had to go back and forth a lot between
road and dirt tires. *

I have had my NanoRaptor blow out twice; once while I was pumping it up,
and once while it was sitting innocently in the auditorium where my
bridge game is held, a good 2 hours after the game had started. (I
still have not lived that down).

I think the bead on that tire may not be as grabby as it should be.

My toolkit is a ToPeak Alien combo tool, patch kit, pump, and stupid
little allen wrench for the Profile cranks. Oh, and a spoke wrench,
which saved my butt in Moab in 2003.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old January 25th 05, 04:20 AM
gerblefranklin

markf wrote:
*but flats are pretty rare. *

Tell that to Ryan. he popped 2 seperate innertubes in less than 1000yds
at moab. Then the patch came loose.

At moab I popped 1 tube on my trials uni. I landed a gap to the sound of
pssssss.

I've had 2 airseats pop.

I've had a tire bead pulled off the rim.

I carry a few bucks, a clif bar or two, a m5 allen key, profile key
(whatever size that is), a spoke wrench, ID, med insurance card, a small
first aid kit (guaze, med tape), 6" crescent wrench, legal definition of
a unicycle in SF, a small pump, and 8-20 oz of extra water for long
rides. I used to carry an extra pedal, for when my wellgo inevitably
broke on me. It came to good use.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

Old January 25th 05, 05:58 AM
tomblackwood

Those of us that ride with John Childs carry little in the way of tools.
That is his job, and you can see from his post above he takes it
seriously.

There are a few things I always bring (aside from water).
1) The basic allen wrenches I need for the uni I'm on. I try to always
check my non-allen bolts, so I don't worry about bringing along a socket
wrench.
2) A "Crash Packs" road rash survival kit from Brave Soldier. It's
super light weight, and has been the most used piece of equipment I
carry...someone is always getting scraped up.
3) A small can of Bell "Repairs Flats in Seconds!", rather than all the
patch and pump stuff. I'm not a big jumper or gapper, so most flats I'd
expect to get (and so far am flat-free) won't be big blowouts or tears.
If it's a bigger puncture than "fix a flat" will fix, I don't think I'd
want to do a trail repair anyway. I might change my mind for certain
really long rides with no easy hike out, like a downieville or porcupine
rim.
4) Last--besides a $20 bill--is a card with my name address and phone
number on it. This way, if someone finds me unconscious next to the
trail, they'll know who I am.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old January 25th 05, 06:57 AM
jagur

johnfoss wrote:
*Yup. Nanoraptor tire. *

thats why Rockville sucked for me on 03'....i was worried about that
very thing happening on the 1st days ride of the event so i treaded very
lightly.

what sucks is a 29er tyre with a ticker side wall will most likly never
happen since they are made for bykes and the industry is bent on the
"light weight" selling point.

--
jagur - Total Gimp

obie is an awesome guy and i cant make football pic's
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old January 25th 05, 05:13 PM
vivalargo

There's also the issue of what you carry all that stuff in. I use a
Camelback that is also a small day pack (don't know the model
name--there are a dozen) with a few pockets for wrenches, grub, cell
phone, et al. A low profile hydration day pack that has cinch straps so
you can snug the thing to your body when the terrain gets
technical--that's what most of us use in SB.

JL:

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old January 25th 05, 06:59 PM
jim.furfaro

There's also the issue of what you carry all that stuff in

I have alot of mountian biking equipment that has been realocated to
muni including several CamelBacks. I am just trying to decide which
equipment will be staying and what I will leave at home.

I am planning on attending the Moab muni fest this year and look forward
to meeting everyone.

On a side note. I could use a little help with the forum short hand.
What is LOL, POW, etc.

Thanks

--
jim.furfaro - Rocket Scientist
jim.furfaro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7261

Go Faster New Bike Recommendations ? Mike Beauchamp General 50 December 16th 04 04:13 PM
Kentucky Muni Weekend... chirokid Unicycling 6 May 4th 04 04:06 PM
IMBA Trailbuilding? N Simpson Mountain Biking 10 April 8th 04 04:08 PM
Katy trail ride report TBGibb Rides 4 October 16th 03 08:01 PM
RR-Riding with The Rubbles. (long) Dave W Mountain Biking 0 October 4th 03 06:08 PM