MTB'ing growing in popularity

Old March 7th 05, 11:05 PM
Bill H.

Tom Keats wrote:

This is just speculation on my part, but I can envision
the popularity of 'mountain biking' declining. I think
originally (back in the '80s), casual enthusiasts were
mostly into not too technical singletrack, and perhaps
some back-country touring, while the more avid riders
would advance into cross country or downhill competition.

Since then the bikes, the trails, and the skills required
to handle each have become increasingly refined, specialized
and technical, to an intimidating (at least to tyros) degree.
In short, I think the 'freeride' style may have pretty well
killed the old concept of mountain biking. And the current
bikes themselves are pretty expensive as well as elaborate,
which is quite a dis-incentive to anyone who just plain wants
to hop on a bike and go.

You can still get a decent, new, mountain bike for way less than a
comparable level of a road bike or even a good comfort/hybrid design.

And used markets can be great for just about anyone.

It's a lot simpler in several ways
to just get a bicycle that looks like a bicycle, and ride
on the roads & streets. Maybe 'mountain biking' has refined
itself out of popularity.

I certainly think there is more segmentation than there used to be,
which is, in part, why I've stopped really enjoying Bicycling magazine.
They are trying to appeal to too wide of an audience - everything from
the hard-core road racers to the downhill mountain bike riders. I
don't identify with either of those groups so the magazine has little
appeal for me.

-Bill H.

Old March 8th 05, 12:36 AM
Peter Cole

Bill H. wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Perhaps, being that it's Arkansas, they've just discovered mountain

biking.

Why the dig on Arkansas? I'm sure there are plenty of people who

ride
there and have been doing so for years. Or is this a red state/blue
state kind of thing?

Just a joke, son. Though it's pretty well known that fitness/outdoors
fads start on the left coast years ahead, then travel to the right
coast & hit the heartland last.

I suppose if you only ride for fitness, road biking would be the way

go since it's, as you say, a more consistent workout. I'm a big fan

of
mountain biking, mainly because I enjoy the outdoors and sightseeing.
Improved fitness is a benefit, I suppose, but if fitness is all

you're
after you can spend $80 on a pair of running shoes and get as good of

workout, if not better, than you'll get on a bike.

While you knees last.

Old March 8th 05, 12:46 AM
Peter Cole

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Peter Cole" writes:

My impression is that mountain biking is not gaining in popularity,

at
least not here in the NE US. The numbers seem pretty constant.

Since then the bikes, the trails, and the skills required
to handle each have become increasingly refined, specialized
and technical, to an intimidating (at least to tyros) degree.
In short, I think the 'freeride' style may have pretty well
killed the old concept of mountain biking. And the current
bikes themselves are pretty expensive as well as elaborate,
which is quite a dis-incentive to anyone who just plain wants
to hop on a bike and go.

I don't know. I think it's like road biking where some may feel the
need for an "entry level" $2-3K bike, but at the same time $500-1000
buys much more than it ever did (even more value in MTB stuff). As a
contrary development, I think there's a movement in the MTB community
to put some of the fun back by getting rid of some of the geegaws.

Downhill/Freeride bikes are specialized, but you really need a ski lift
or a pickup. I occasionally run into some clueless guy clanking up a
trail in body armor and 6" of suspension, but they don't seem to come
back.

Old March 8th 05, 12:48 AM
Peter Cole

Maggie wrote:

I think comfort bikes are growing more and more popular as this baby
boom generation gets out there to ride. Just my humble opinion. As

Boomer looking for a comfortable ride. ;-)

Comfort bikes tend to be typically what new riders buy. It seems like a
year later they all either graduate to a better performing bike or stop
riding.

Old March 8th 05, 04:55 AM
Bill H.

Peter Cole wrote:

I suppose if you only ride for fitness, road biking would be the

way
to go since it's, as you say, a more consistent workout. I'm a big

fan
of mountain biking, mainly because I enjoy the outdoors and

sightseeing.
Improved fitness is a benefit, I suppose, but if fitness is all
you're after you can spend $80 on a pair of running shoes and get as

good of a workout, if not better, than you'll get on a bike.

While you knees last.

Good point. I've tried running - both on a treadmill and on the road.
I stopped because it always feels like a chore to me. But when I hop
on my mountain bike, it's more of an adventure. The way I figure it,
if you're doing something to get fit, it might as well be fun, right?
Of course, some people actually have fun jogging around a cold track at
dawn, so to each his own, I suppose.

That being said, I would be willing to give trail running a try, as
long as the scenery was nice. I'm still young enough for it at 25.
Heck, I might even take up mountain climbing!

-Bill H.

Old March 8th 05, 07:10 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

I think comfort bikes are growing more and more popular as this baby
boom generation gets out there to ride. Just my humble opinion. As a
Boomer looking for a comfortable ride. ;-)

There is always the option of going over to the dark side.

Get Bent!

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 8th 05, 07:16 AM
Tom Sherman

Tom Keats wrote:

This is just speculation on my part, but I can envision
the popularity of 'mountain biking' declining. I think
originally (back in the '80s), casual enthusiasts were
mostly into not too technical singletrack, and perhaps
some back-country touring, while the more avid riders
would advance into cross country or downhill competition....

Being a clumsy oaf, I would like to live in a place with relatively easy
single-track, since I usually walk the difficult parts to avoid broken
bones. Fire roads perhaps - I could even ride those on my trike.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 8th 05, 03:51 PM
Maggie

Tom Sherman wrote:
Maggie wrote:

I think comfort bikes are growing more and more popular as this

baby
boom generation gets out there to ride. Just my humble opinion.

As a
Boomer looking for a comfortable ride. ;-)

There is always the option of going over to the dark side.

Get Bent!

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

:-) Right back at ya Mr. Earth.

Old March 9th 05, 12:50 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

I think comfort bikes are growing more and more popular as this

baby

boom generation gets out there to ride. Just my humble opinion.

As a

Boomer looking for a comfortable ride. ;-)

There is always the option of going over to the dark side.

Get Bent!

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

:-) Right back at ya Mr. Earth.

If you would rather perch way up in the air on a tiny saddle, rather
than recline in comfort on a true seat while cycling, that is your choice.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 9th 05, 12:51 AM
Tom Sherman

Ken Marcet wrote:

Now I am not a great fan on mtb's, but it is good to see that at least on
type of cycling is growing in pupularity.
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/p...503070313/1002

Now maybe some of these people are converts from the road cycle world, maybe
some are new to cycling....

I think more people are riding off road just to annoy Mikey V.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 02:58 AM
why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target N Grover Mountain Biking 36 December 16th 03 08:41 AM
Unicycle Popularity Beener Unicycling 3 December 9th 03 11:15 PM
MTB'ing in Reno Nevada jeb4 Mountain Biking 1 October 24th 03 06:14 AM
Morzine MTBing Niv UK 12 October 6th 03 12:54 PM