MTB'ing growing in popularity

Old March 9th 05, 10:46 AM
Maggie

Tom Sherman wrote:
Maggie wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

I think comfort bikes are growing more and more popular as this

baby

boom generation gets out there to ride. Just my humble opinion.

As a

Boomer looking for a comfortable ride. ;-)

There is always the option of going over to the dark side.

Get Bent!

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

:-) Right back at ya Mr. Earth.

If you would rather perch way up in the air on a tiny saddle, rather
than recline in comfort on a true seat while cycling, that is your

choice.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

There is no way I am perching on a tiny saddle way up in the air. I
recline in comfort on a very comfortable seat. I went out looking for
the perfect "comfortable seat" when I bought the bike.
I think that WAS my choice.
I am the baby boomer looking for comfort, I'm not trying to imitate
Lance Armstrong. I just want to ride a comfort bike around town, to
work, on some fun rides and maybe a few tours. Hey, what was the
original question?
Maggie (dazed and confused)

Old March 9th 05, 10:54 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

[...]

Maggie,

Are you aware that "dark side" is the British slang term for a recumbent
bicycle and thus saying "get bent" is not an insult in this context?

This is my fast AND comfortable bicycle:
http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 9th 05, 02:10 PM
kituyjkm

I think the rise in popularity of MTBs goes hand in hand with the
popularity of SUVs. Most are purchased by people who will never drive
off-road, and most of those MTBs will never be ridden off road either.
I wonder how many MTBs are sold to SUV people as accessories for their
expensive SUVs? I mean, geez, the SUVs in the ads always show people
hauling camping gear, kayaks, MTBs, and etc. to beautiful places in
the middle of nowhere... The SUV is purchased as an image enhancement
(who can afford a porsche or ferrari?) so you need to complete the
image of looking like you can go anywhere by looking like you can ride
an MTB.
Old March 9th 05, 02:17 PM
Maggie

Tom Sherman wrote:
Maggie wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

[...]

OOOOOOOOOPS....I am not up on British Slang......I'm from Joisey. I
knew Liverpool slang in the sixties..when I was "GROOVEY".....but now
The dark side to me comes from Star Wars. ;-) And Get Bent
means....GET BENT! :-0
Maggie with due respect and apologetic.

Old March 9th 05, 03:33 PM
Peter Cole

Maggie wrote:

There is no way I am perching on a tiny saddle way up in the air. I
recline in comfort on a very comfortable seat. I went out looking for
the perfect "comfortable seat" when I bought the bike.
I think that WAS my choice.
I am the baby boomer looking for comfort, I'm not trying to imitate
Lance Armstrong. I just want to ride a comfort bike around town, to
work, on some fun rides and maybe a few tours.

Usually, as your mileage goes up your idea of what's comfortable
changes.

Old March 9th 05, 07:08 PM
Matt O'Toole

kituyjkm wrote:

I think the rise in popularity of MTBs goes hand in hand with the
popularity of SUVs. Most are purchased by people who will never drive
off-road, and most of those MTBs will never be ridden off road either.
I wonder how many MTBs are sold to SUV people as accessories for their
expensive SUVs? I mean, geez, the SUVs in the ads always show people
hauling camping gear, kayaks, MTBs, and etc. to beautiful places in
the middle of nowhere... The SUV is purchased as an image enhancement
(who can afford a porsche or ferrari?) so you need to complete the
image of looking like you can go anywhere by looking like you can ride
an MTB.

I don't think so. I think a lot of people were attracted to mountain bikes
because they offered greater comfort and riding ease than skinny tired,
overgeared, drop bar road bikes -- at least for beginning cyclists. I know
plenty of people who bought mountain bikes in the late 80s and early 90s, for
this reason. They thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. This is
still the case.

Matt O.

Old March 9th 05, 07:09 PM
Matt O'Toole

Peter Cole wrote:
Maggie wrote:

There is no way I am perching on a tiny saddle way up in the air. I
recline in comfort on a very comfortable seat. I went out looking for
the perfect "comfortable seat" when I bought the bike.
I think that WAS my choice.
I am the baby boomer looking for comfort, I'm not trying to imitate
Lance Armstrong. I just want to ride a comfort bike around town, to
work, on some fun rides and maybe a few tours.

Usually, as your mileage goes up your idea of what's comfortable
changes.

This is definately true.

Matt O.

Old March 9th 05, 07:59 PM
Dane Jackson

Bill H. wrote:

I suppose if you only ride for fitness, road biking would be the way to
go since it's, as you say, a more consistent workout. I'm a big fan of
mountain biking, mainly because I enjoy the outdoors and sightseeing.

I'm a big fan of urban road cycling because I enjoy finding new places
and sightseeing. Of course, sometimes the sights might include the
college campus on a nice warm sunny day...

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Murray's Rule:
Old March 9th 05, 10:06 PM
Neil Cherry

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:09:28 -0500, Matt O'Toole wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Maggie wrote:

There is no way I am perching on a tiny saddle way up in the air. I
recline in comfort on a very comfortable seat. I went out looking for
the perfect "comfortable seat" when I bought the bike.
I think that WAS my choice.
I am the baby boomer looking for comfort, I'm not trying to imitate
Lance Armstrong. I just want to ride a comfort bike around town, to
work, on some fun rides and maybe a few tours.

Usually, as your mileage goes up your idea of what's comfortable
changes.

This is definately true.

This is very true, I ride on a Brooks Saddle. I have them on both
bikes. On my first MTB I have the factory vinyl seat and then
purchased a nice soft padded seat cover. As my miles went up I dumped
the seat cover as it caused more problems. When I purchased the Road
bike I used the factory seat for a while (not bad). After a few years
of abuse I switched to a Brooks (I still have that seat). The break in
period was only 50 miles for both seats. When I got my Ti bike it had
a Selle San Marco saddle. I road that for only 2 miles, very painful!
I ordered a new Brooks and that's my current saddle.

The solution is this, find a saddle where your sit bones are supported
and no pressure is applied to the wrong places. For some folks the
Brooks are too wide or narrow. I've asked a few others about the
'cushy' saddles and most (but not all) seem to agree that as the
distance climbs 'cushy' puts the pressure where they don't want it.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old March 9th 05, 10:50 PM
Matt O'Toole

Neil Cherry wrote:

I ride on a Brooks Saddle. I have them on both
bikes. On my first MTB I have the factory vinyl seat and then
purchased a nice soft padded seat cover. As my miles went up I dumped
the seat cover as it caused more problems. When I purchased the Road
bike I used the factory seat for a while (not bad). After a few years
of abuse I switched to a Brooks (I still have that seat). The break in
period was only 50 miles for both seats.

Brooks saddles can be extremely comfortable, but they're probably better for
people who stay in the same position all the time. I like to move around a bit,
and the Brooks doesn't allow that as much. It tends to have one sweet spot.
Also, the care is too fussy. If not properly sealed they're too easily ruined
by water, etc. However, for some people a Brooks works when nothing else does.

Matt O.

MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 02:58 AM
why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target N Grover Mountain Biking 36 December 16th 03 08:41 AM
Unicycle Popularity Beener Unicycling 3 December 9th 03 11:15 PM
MTB'ing in Reno Nevada jeb4 Mountain Biking 1 October 24th 03 06:14 AM
Morzine MTBing Niv UK 12 October 6th 03 12:54 PM