Standing at stops still clipped rather than duckwalking

Old March 10th 05, 02:06 AM
Gooserider

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Gooserider" (clip) He's the man, because if he screws up and falls it's

on
a busy two lane highway... :
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not only that! He's got to be able to put his fingers into a patient's
mouth. Not too easy with bandages.

He broke his collarbone last year in a triathlon. He couldn't work for two
months or so(broke the right one). He had to hire a temporary OS. Needless
to say, his wife was NOT happy. :-) His trackstanding ability is still cool,
though.

Old March 10th 05, 03:45 AM
Rich Clark

"Roger Daniel Pease" wrote in message
I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance me
when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

If you can put both feet on the ground while still astride the saddle, your
saddle is too low.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn that?
Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

If your saddle is at the proper height, you'll have no choice.

Unclip one foot as you approach the stop. The clipped foot's pedal is at the
bottom of its travel. Shift your weight onto it and off the saddle, which
will also move you forward. Then, as the bike stops, tip over onto the loose
foot.

RichC

Old March 10th 05, 07:43 AM
Tom Sherman

Tom Keats wrote:

Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that?

I don't see why anyone should fall by uncoupling one cleat/pedal....

Just don't lean in the direction of the clipped in foot!

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 10th 05, 07:53 AM
Tom Sherman

RonSonic wrote:

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:13:26 -0600, Roger Daniel Pease wrote:

I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that? Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

Don't fall. This is no harder than gettig off an escalator.

As you approach the stop coast while standing on one foot with that pedal down,
unclip the other. As you come to a stop put the free foot down on the ground
with a bit of a forward "step" motion that puts you in front of the saddle.
Done.

Only in a world of undersized frames can people not know this drill.

I have to remind myself not to unclip when riding the trike.

All I need is a proper headrest, then I could do a "trackstand" in my
sleep.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 10th 05, 11:56 AM
Roger Daniel Pease

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:33:41 -0800, ,
(Tom Keats), responded to Roger:

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped.

D'oh! Now I'm confused. Are you talking about trackstands
(stopping with both feet remaining on the pedals,) or stopping
with one foot on the ground?

It sounded, to me, like they're questioning the difference between
double dabbing from the saddle as opposed to single dabbing while
straddling the top tube.

Yes, if I understand your lingo correctly. :-) I've not mastered
standing over the top tube while having one foot still clipped.

That's how I originally read it.

Their statement:

Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

makes it sounds like the saddle is too low.

I was concerned about that actually, but a bike shop I took the bike to
said I was the right height. I think I will try the 'standing on the
pedals' as a starter.

Thanks,

Roger
Old March 10th 05, 02:16 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that?

I don't see why anyone should fall by uncoupling one cleat/pedal....

Just don't lean in the direction of the clipped in foot!

Been there, done that!

Just like Charlie Johnson on "Laugh In"

My next be will be a Greenspeed trike. Then I can stay clipped in
without falling...
Old March 10th 05, 03:06 PM
RonSonic

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:16:12 GMT, H M Leary wrote:

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that?

I don't see why anyone should fall by uncoupling one cleat/pedal....

Just don't lean in the direction of the clipped in foot!

Been there, done that!

Just like Charlie Johnson on "Laugh In"

Arte Johnson, no?

Anyway I've done that. Just think of it as a sideways trackstand.

Ron
Old March 10th 05, 03:40 PM
H M Leary

Tom Sherman wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that?

I don't see why anyone should fall by uncoupling one cleat/pedal....

Just don't lean in the direction of the clipped in foot!

Been there, done that!

Just like Charlie Johnson on "Laugh In"

Arte Johnson, no?

You are correct, Art it is, not a friend named Charlie.

Old March 10th 05, 03:50 PM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:56:24 -0600, Roger Daniel Pease
wrote:

Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

makes it sounds like the saddle is too low.

I was concerned about that actually, but a bike shop I took the bike to
said I was the right height. I think I will try the 'standing on the
pedals' as a starter.

Thanks,

Roger

Hi Roger, as others have mentioned, your saddle may be too low. that
and other info can be addressed at the following link:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html
Be sure to read "Stopping and Starting".

Another thing you could try, to become comfortable doing one footed
stops and starts, would be to stop as usual. Then clip one foot back
in and start that way. That way you will get used to being in that
position, while stopped. The whole thing is really quite simple,
easier than learning to use clipless pedals.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old March 10th 05, 08:32 PM
Roger Daniel Pease

Rich Clark wrote:
"Roger Daniel Pease" wrote in message

If you can put both feet on the ground while still astride the saddle, your
saddle is too low.

I can put my toes down. I can't do flat footed unless I'm over the top bar.

RDP

Romoving Downtube Shifter Cable Stops mike_stay Techniques 0 September 2nd 04 07:51 PM
Down tube stops Bob Wheeler Techniques 3 August 18th 04 03:02 AM
What am I doing wrong? (Pedalling while standing up) Burning_Ranger UK 10 August 9th 04 04:48 PM
Fell off clipped in (or how to make a prat of yourself). Peter B UK 19 October 17th 03 03:26 PM
Standing while climbing bad? Destroy Mountain Biking 20 August 6th 03 04:14 PM