Pins & needles

Old June 9th 05, 02:48 PM
Dave Herbal

Default Pins & needles

Hail all NG biking gurus.

Anyone got any ideas why i've recently started getting pins & needles in
both hands after about 30 mins riding? I'm using Judy forks, Club Roost
Riser Bar & Spesh BG gloves with the gel insert, and have been for years. My
grips are fairly worn - could this have any effect?

Cheers

The Hermanator
Old June 9th 05, 03:29 PM
Coyoteboy

I get pins and needles in my toes

Sounds like you need a nice set of comfy grips at least to try, total
cost - 10$? Unless it comes from your neck like mine does at times -
damn whiplash damage.

Old June 9th 05, 03:31 PM
small change

Dave Herbal wrote:
Hail all NG biking gurus.

Anyone got any ideas why i've recently started getting pins & needles
in both hands after about 30 mins riding? I'm using Judy forks, Club
Roost Riser Bar & Spesh BG gloves with the gel insert, and have been
for years. My grips are fairly worn - could this have any effect?

Cheers

The Hermanator

might need to have your stem lenghth changed.

penny

Old June 9th 05, 05:06 PM
Bill Sornson

Dave Herbal wrote:
Hail all NG biking gurus.

Anyone got any ideas why i've recently started getting pins & needles
in both hands after about 30 mins riding? I'm using Judy forks, Club
Roost Riser Bar & Spesh BG gloves with the gel insert, and have been
for years. My grips are fairly worn - could this have any effect?

Change anything recently? (Saddle, saddle position, bar type, stem length
or rise, etc.) Make a conscious effort to relax your grip -- as well as
arms and shoulders -- and try changing hand positions often. (Bar ends can
help.)

Try some different gloves, too. Sometimes those gel pads press right on
where they're supposed to provide relief.

Finally, get a new nickname :-D

The Billinator

Old June 9th 05, 05:34 PM
Coyoteboy

I had the same issues with the narrow grips i have, I have very large
hands (i can touch the top and bottom of the screen at the same time on
a 17 inch monitor with my thumb and little finger) and i find there are
loads of grips that say "narrow grip for more comfort" - i find it the
opposite, the fatter the better IMO.

Old June 9th 05, 05:36 PM
Coyoteboy

arms and shoulders -- and try changing hand positions often. (Bar ends can
help.)

Ahh, thats a good one. Dont look very good with risers but certainly
help my hands on the 18 miles to work.

Try some different gloves, too. Sometimes those gel pads press right on
where they're supposed to provide relief.

This is very true.

Coyoteboyinator.

Old June 9th 05, 07:57 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Coyoteboy wrote:
I had the same issues with the narrow grips i have, I have very large
hands (i can touch the top and bottom of the screen at the same time
on a 17 inch monitor with my thumb and little finger) and i find
there are loads of grips that say "narrow grip for more comfort" - i
find it the opposite, the fatter the better IMO.

Oury, and I have medium-sized hands. Anything else makes me hurt.

OEM Giant and Specialized grips positively suck. Way too small... sized for
children.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 9th 05, 08:37 PM

Try what everyone said and add one try riding with look
mom no hands.

Old June 10th 05, 03:03 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dave Herbal:
My
grips are fairly worn - could this have any effect?

I get the same thing periodically. Have to take the hand off the bar and shake
it for awhile.

Part of it is a hand position that's wrong for my particular nerves and the same
hand position (good or bad) for too long.

But I also think there's a padding component.

On my FS, I tried wrapping the grips with a layer of handlebar tape. I've also
got bar ends on both bikes and wrapped the bar end and the area where it
connects to the bar with a layber of the stuff too.

On my hardtail, I only wrapped the bar ends - not the interface and not the bar
grips.

Now I notice that I get the numbness a *lot* more (like 10:1) on the hardtail
than on the FS; so I'd conclude that the extra layer of padding helps.
--
PeteCresswell

Pedal Pins juggle508 Unicycling 5 March 26th 05 10:29 AM
pins and needles in hands Chris Nowak UK 17 February 7th 05 09:43 AM
Tenderizr pins one wheeled stallion Unicycling 4 April 27th 04 11:41 PM
diy pedals pins on frame crown. evilewan Unicycling 9 February 3rd 04 12:00 AM
Lapel Pins UniMike Unicycling 2 October 17th 03 07:13 PM